First Japanese knives.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

First Japanese knives.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hello,

After some research, I am planning on getting this knife for our first good knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mavg1sa1 ... 1535918595

I want an all around knife and one small enough my wife will use it. Good choice?

Also, I am trying to decide between these 2 for the second knife:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy21.html
(When will it be back in stock?)

And

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tachgy21.html

For me. Thoughts?

As for sharpening for all these knives, what would you recommend I start out with?

Thanks!

Dan
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
delmar

Re: First Japanese knives.

Post by delmar »

I'd probably lean to the makoto first - more functional and useable. The santoku has a wide range of applicability, but nothing beats a gyuto.
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

The makoto is really nice. Much nicer than the price point would suggest. It’s not crazy thin overall but takes an impressive edge and the white steel is stupid easy to sharpen. The handle is finished really nicely as well, better than many more expensive knives. I’d wait for that one. I have the 210 but might pick up a 240 if they ever come in stock
old onion

Post by old onion »

Makoto 210 here and it's a wonderful knife.
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Thanks for posting my question!

My only concern with getting a Gyutos first is that it will be to big for my wife. Looking for something 150-170mm for her.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Understood. Santoku is the first choice for my wife and daughter. I find the flat profile not as flexible as a gyuto, but to each their own.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Dan1100 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:29 am Thanks for posting my question!

My only concern with getting a Gyutos first is that it will be to big for my wife. Looking for something 150-170mm for her.
They do make 180 Gyutos if you don't want a Santoku. I have one and I use it quite a bit.I might add though, that my wife always grabs a Petty,no matter what she is cutting.
lsboogy

Re: First Japanese knives

Post by lsboogy »

Adam41kKax wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:16 am I am looking for a knife publication that lists the knife manufacturers of Solingen Germany to identify the knives made and their values?

Any suggestions?
I've never seen anything with prices, but there is a book that I think is aptly named "German Knife and Sword Makers" (I got it from the library a couple years ago) that goes through the history of the region. I think ere have been several thousand makers and marks in that region, kind of like looking at Japanese knife makers at a shop in Japan. Pricing is what you agree to - I bought a Kikuichi that looks like a Deba from the middle 1700's that the seller thought was worth over $2K (he priced it at 250K yen) and I bought it a year later for $200 after he had not sold it yet. But with eBay and other places, you should be able to get approximate values.

I have a nice set of trident knives that were given to me many years ago that date to the mid 30's - they made good stuff, but I'm torn as to what to do with them - they kind of hold some Nazi stigma - maybe burn them for good measure.