210 gyuto and a petty

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Seattle_Ben

210 gyuto and a petty

Post by Seattle_Ben »

1)Pro or home cook?

Home cooks

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)

Gyuto and petty

3) What size knife do you want?

210 for gyuto 120-150 for the petty

4)How much do you want to spend?

150 and let's say 100 though that isn't too firm I think.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?

Stainless for these

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?

No preference

7)What are your main knife/knives now?

For the gyuto their knives are hand me down global Santorum and ryusen petty. The petty is to pair with a kanehide 195mm gyuto.

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? For these users fair is probably quite generous.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?

God knows.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?

They have access to sharpening.

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.

Nothing to add that I can think of offhand other than these should probably be on the workhorse side of knife land.
Nmiller21k

Re: 210 gyuto and a petty

Post by Nmiller21k »

For your 210 I'd look at the Tojiro Color Series
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/toprgy21.html

inexpensive, good steel, and is forgiving if they leave it wet.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Looking at the VG-10 offerings on the site, have you considered the Tanaka Nashiji line? Both are in your price range. There is a Kohetsu damascus line as well, but slightly above your price point. No experience with either in this particular line, but I would think either would be a safe bet.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

I'd looked at the Tanaka yes, not so much the latter. The takamura chromax is also attractive and probably what I'll do unless something more compelling is suggested. The petty is the one that's feeling complicated.
Bmoze

Post by Bmoze »

I’m new to jknives so I can’t give an experienced recommendation. I recently bought a Takamura vg10 150 petty, which I really like. It’s attractive and sharp, and feels great in hand. I wanted a stainless petty, and coming from the world of pocket knives, I’m comfortable sharpening vg10. I think the Chromax is also a great choice. i’ve thought about getting that for my daughter, but not sure if the semi-stainless would be a maintenance issue for her (kids, etc).
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Id second the takamura gyuto suggestions. Youll really like it. For a single petty, i think the tanaka damascus 135 is a really nice knife. The length is perfect, and it is light as a feather. It goes for $140, though, but i feel it to be a bargain. One thing you want in a petty is a thin blade. The thicker blades wedge, and you may be disappointed. A 210 gyuto and a 135 petty work well together. I think the 120s are too short, and the 150s are too long for just having two blades.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

have you considered a petty might not see much use? I rarely if ever have found a specific case in which I need one. Cool knives and fun to use if you main a larger gyuto, but if you are rocking a 210, maybe a petty won't have much use. 120 still seems a bit big for in hand use. Maybe a 100 or smaller. Just my two cents
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Willison_Knives wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am have you considered a petty might not see much use? I rarely if ever have found a specific case in which I need one. Cool knives and fun to use if you main a larger gyuto, but if you are rocking a 210, maybe a petty won't have much use. 120 still seems a bit big for in hand use. Maybe a 100 or smaller. Just my two cents
Yes, though it's not clear from the post these are for two people in two different houses. The gyuto is for my parents to replace a garbage chef knife. The petty is for my aunt and uncle who want something to go with a chef knife that she thinks is too big and just wants something that is more like the size of the paring knives she's got. The reason my parents have the ryusen petty is because I never felt the need to get it out. And for the few times I did it was not tall enough. But my aunt saw it, likes it, but it's still too long.
Willison_Knives

ah! my bad, just my two cents.

the kohetsu HAP40 has always caught my eye. Its a bit more at 115 and also only semi stainless. at 65 hrc, if it chips its a work out to fix, but if treated will a little care it should be a great knife
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Willison_Knives wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am have you considered a petty might not see much use? I rarely if ever have found a specific case in which I need one. Cool knives and fun to use if you main a larger gyuto, but if you are rocking a 210, maybe a petty won't have much use. 120 still seems a bit big for in hand use. Maybe a 100 or smaller. Just my two cents
Depends on who is cooking. I use a paring knife a few times a month, and Jen uses one almost every day. I use a gyuto almost every day, and Jen uses hers a few times a month. She has started using a santoku and a Bunka most days, but she likes a short thin blade. Her prep is slow and absolutely meticulous, whereas mine is quick and getting better all the time. I diced tomatoes for sauce on Saturday night that were so even Jen asked me if I had used a gauge, but the onion belied me.

A d all the HAP40 knives I have used are great - just remember they are a bit brittle and don't slam them with sideways pressure. One of the constants in my traveling kit is a kohetsu 240 HAP40 blade - almost never needs a touch up - cuts really really well, and just sits in the roll - the steel takes and holds an edge and I don't worry about it one bit.
Willison_Knives

lsboogy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm
Depends on who is cooking. I use a paring knife a few times a month, and Jen uses one almost every day. I use a gyuto almost every day, and Jen uses hers a few times a month. She has started using a santoku and a Bunka most days, but she likes a short thin blade. Her prep is slow and absolutely meticulous, whereas mine is quick and getting better all the time. I diced tomatoes for sauce on Saturday night that were so even Jen asked me if I had used a gauge, but the onion belied me.

A d all the HAP40 knives I have used are great - just remember they are a bit brittle and don't slam them with sideways pressure. One of the constants in my traveling kit is a kohetsu 240 HAP40 blade - almost never needs a touch up - cuts really really well, and just sits in the roll - the steel takes and holds an edge and I don't worry about it one bit.
very true, I have seen people who only use a paring knife for everything. I am also a one knife guy but its a 240 gyuto lol.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Willison_Knives wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:41 am
lsboogy wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:55 pm

very true, I have seen people who only use a paring knife for everything. I am also a one knife guy but its a 240 gyuto lol.
I spend almost all of any cooking event using one knife as well. Years in restaurants leave you really using a chef's knife as a default. Unless you're really doing some very specific tasks a gyuto/chef knife is totally sufficient. These days the knife I gravitate towards is a cleaver but I am out of kitchens and all my cooking now is for home use rather than production. That being said I wish I'd grabbed a cleaver for those days.