Pro seeking 210 Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Whiskychef

Pro seeking 210 Gyuto

Post by Whiskychef »

Time to step up to a new level and invest.

1. Pro
2. Gyuto
3. 210
4. The right salesman could get me to spend ~$500 (not that I want to as the question asks)
5. I DO NOT need stainless. I'm open minded
6. No handle preference, I have and can go between handle styles. (My hands don't like small handles)
7. I currently use a mediocre 210 Gyuto. Used an 8" French Chef style for years before this one. (It disappeared one day)
8. Knife skills are pretty darn good. (Lots left to learn of course)
9. I'm a rocker and chopper kind of guy ... bit of push and pull when needed
10. I sharpen my knives confidently (and patiently)

Used a french style for a long time till it walked away on its own. My chef at the time (who told me to come to this site) gave me an old mediocre knife. I used it for about a year, and its a great knife. However, I need something more reliable that can hold an really good edge. I can sharpen and am good about honing my knife properly.

Bonus: I am also looking for a 240mm Gyuto and a 120mm Petty. Willing to spend around $300-$400 for both.

Thank y'all for any help. I will look through the website and browse, but any help would be amazing. I don't know much about knife makers.
Michael
delmar

Re: Pro seeking 210 Gyuto

Post by delmar »

Where do you rank edge retention? If it is crucial, I'd look long and hard at HAP40 steel. If I were back behind the line, I'd have this in hand for 210mm:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy21.html

Also comes in western handle. Nicknamed 'voodoo steel' because it keeps an edge so long. No fancy finishes that might entice others to swipe it. Many pros on this forum swear by it. It's legit.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I am not a kitchen pro, far from it, but from reading your post I am confident that a Gihei HAP 40 210 gyuto will amaze you. I am not a materials science pro either, but I am a mechanical engineer with a life long interest in materials. This HAP 40 stuff is pretty amazing: harder then most, when heat treated by a skilled smith, but still reasonable to sharpen. I own this knife, it is great to use, good to sharpen. The profile is almost a dead nuts copy of my old 8" Heckles. The Gihei is far harder, not as tall (not a problem though) and far thinner than the Heckles. HAP 40 is stain resistant, not stainless. You do not have to give the same care as a carbon, but you do need to give it some care.

I waited for months for my knife of choice to be in stock. It is in stock now, but my guess is it will stay out for a while when it goes out of stock.
delmar

Post by delmar »

My only issue with the Gihei is that it is short - 40mm. Almost a 210mm petty or suji. The finish and handle might make it more prone to theft too. Dont get me wrong - I've been quite fond of the Giheis I've owned.
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

The only 210 I can endorse.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kabl2gy21cu.html

Available only with custom handles now as they were previously closed out.

This knife has done everything I have asked it to in a pro setting. I use it as a line knife mostly but it has seen prep days as well. The core is carbon so be aware of that. Edge retention is good enough, though it is no HAP40. I think you will find the profile adaptable to many cutting styles.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I'm partial to Konosuke (I have four of them) and here's a 210 that might interest you in Blue #2 steel;

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke1.html
Whiskychef

Post by Whiskychef »

Thanks for all the help so far! I'm using all the responses to clarify my search.

I think I am leaning toward blue #2 steel. I'm not married to the idea, but was looking to see if there where options with this steal in 210mm with a western grip.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

Many of the knives in this site will do very good in a pro setting, all of them will be better than what ever you are using now. That being said, id like to share some general considerations if you are looking for a main knife. make it a 240, specially if you have good knife skills. Make it semi or full stainless, at least stainless clad, your life will be a lot easier.
That being said.
Ive used my kurosaki r2 for a couple of years now, very good knife, excellent all arounder with great steel. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend it. Im also a big tanaka fanboy, his knives are awesome, the r2 line is top notch, great convex grind and an all around profile that lends itself to all cutti g motions effortlessly.
If you dont rock as much, a sanjo style knife would be a grear choices, I can personally vouch for yoshikane skd offerings, been using a 270 for a while, and i recently picked up a 240, both are amazing, the 270 though is a very refined knife, with amazing distal taper and ground veey thin behind the edge and a high performance tip.
Im sure there are many others, thats what has worked the best for me, though my preferences keep changing, good luck!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Not a pro, but the best all-round knives I have used are the Kamo R2 (no longer sold on CKTG) and the Kanehiro AS. Great profiles and long-lived edges.

My best overall knife happens to be blue #2, a Tanaka Sekiso. It's fully reactive, however. If you want a great blue steel knife that's stainless clad, Tanaka makes one of those, too.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tabl2nagy24.html
Jeffry B
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Western handle blue 2
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2gy24.html
240 is on sale 110
210 is 99

Best pro knife that fits your criteria
Excellent in pro kitchens you’ll love the look feel and how it responds to the stones.
Steel+Fire

Post by Steel+Fire »

If I was walking back into a restaurant and wanted to take a knife to work it would probably be a Takamura Chromax or Kohetsu HAP40. Knives grow legs in pro environments. These both give you carbon like edges with semi to full stainless reactivity. Western handles that are easy to clean and do not care if they get wet. Also easy to replace as they are under $200 for the 210mm gyutos. Both look like they are good choppers and are capable of rocking OK.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I second the Kohetsu stuff. The HAP40 blades take a great edge and keep it, and they are great blades for the money - have several of them and they are a joy to use and won't break the bank.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent knife for a pro kitchen. Excellent edge retention and fantastic performer.

Harukaze SRS15 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrgy21.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Dan_Crubenew wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:19 pm The only 210 I can endorse.

This knife has done everything I have asked it to in a pro setting. I use it as a line knife mostly but it has seen prep days as well. The core is carbon so be aware of that. Edge retention is good enough, though it is no HAP40. I think you will find the profile adaptable to many cutting styles.
I'm not a pro, but this is what immediately came to mind for me. I feel like this knife is great for people who want to use a gyuto as a chef's knife (i.e., for all types of cuts), as well as those who want to use a 210 as a "main" knife part of the time rather than as just a smaller knife next to a 240 main knife.

Lots of other great recommendations above, too.

For a 120, I really like the Kanehide lines (the TK is a steal and a terrific knife in the size, and I suspect the PS60 is equally good).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm not a pro, but this is what immediately came to mind for me. I feel like this knife is great for people who want to use a gyuto as a chef's knife (i.e., for all types of cuts), as well as those who want to use a 210 as a "main" knife part of the time rather than as just a smaller knife next to a 240 main knife.

For a 120, I really like the Kanehide lines (the TK is a steal and a terrific knife in the size, and I suspect the PS60 is equally good).
One has been sitting in the classifieds for a long time. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7712
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:13 pm
salemj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:26 pm

One has been sitting in the classifieds for a long time. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7712
Forgot about that Kaneshige in the Classifieds, good looking out. I'm surprised it has been there for that long tbh, Kaneshige TB is the real deal.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

delmar wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm Where do you rank edge retention? If it is crucial, I'd look long and hard at HAP40 steel. If I were back behind the line, I'd have this in hand for 210mm:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy21.html

Also comes in western handle. Nicknamed 'voodoo steel' because it keeps an edge so long. No fancy finishes that might entice others to swipe it. Many pros on this forum swear by it. It's legit.
Also not in a pro environment. Ive had this knife a couple of years now, and for all the reasons already noted and at only $185 I think that it's really hard to go past.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Whiskychef

Post by Whiskychef »

After much deliberation (maybe not that much ... I'm mostly listening and trusting what people say here along some other light reading) I went for for the HAP40 with a western grip. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohagy21.html

I am starting my first kitchen, it is small and I will handle the line for ... some amount of time. I'm not too worried about this one walking away. It feels like a the best choice for my personal heavy lifter that I won't have to be overly protective about.

Next I am still looking for a 240 gyuto and the petty. Maybe I should start a new thread for that one?

P.S. I definitely want to get in to carbon steel. At least one of those two I would like to start getting in to these new options beyond stainless. I have used them all, but not owned and properly cared for ... but will learn.

Thanks again for all the comments. Everything really is helpful.