Home Cook looking for 210 to 240 Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Tasty1991

Home Cook looking for 210 to 240 Gyuto

Post by Tasty1991 »

Hey guys,

Home Cook looking for a Japanese style Gyuto, 210 to 240mm. Happy to spend upto 350USD. Would prefer Stainless clad over carbon or full carbon with a Japanese style handle.

Currently have a set of globals, looking at stepping up my game.

Knife skills are fairly good.

Thanks for your help!
Drewski

Re: Home Cook looking for 210 to 240 Gyuto

Post by Drewski »

I don't own this knife, but a lot of people on here are very happy with the Konosuke MM line as a jack of all trades.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/konosuke2.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent knife at a very good price.

Konosuke GS+ Gyuto 240mm SALE https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kogsgy240.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have only used my kono HD2 a couple of times, but there is reason for the hype - kono seems to be a knife better than price by a long way. I'm on the custom knife journey (thinning/handles), but you might well find these good knives. My first Kono and it is one of the better factory knives I have ever used. Far better than a masamoto and I league with Kikuichi stuff and at a lower price. You could always try it and sell it (to me maybe) if it's not your thing
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

I’ll be a bit contrarian, I have a Konosuki GS nice knife but in my view does not justify the hype there seems to be on Konosuki, and personally I’m not a fan of the single wood handles on some of them now (no ferrul), may s lol my GS at some point. I am a fan of Kurosaki, the R2 hammered to me is a big step up in my view, amazingly thin blade way more of a laser but I don’t baby it. Also picked up a Makoto ryusei in a 210 as they were out of 240s at that point, great knife would reccomended it,
Paul
bosco

Post by bosco »

I absolutely love my konosuke HD2. It has been my go to knife for the past 6 months. I started out with 210mm length and have fallen in love with the 240mm.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Are you looking for a laser or workhorse or something in between?
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Save your money. The Takamura Chromax does what any one of the $350 knives here can do. It cuts food. It will be the absolute sharpest edge you can find here, and it lists for $125. Ive got konosukes, tanakas, etc, but this relatively inexpensive knife does everything all my other knives can do, and it doesnt need an immediate wipedown. If you want a more traditional japanesy look, consider any one of the KU finished white steel blades. They are less expensive, they get screaming sharp with little effort, and the look kool AF.
Once you make the mistake of believing that a $350 knife is necessarily better than a $200 knife simply because it costs more, youve set youself up for dissappointment, IMO.
n64bomb

Post by n64bomb »

You might find this helpful. No reason to spend more than 100-200$ on a first gyuto, and less than that if you buy used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/chefknives/wik ... mendations
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I love my Konosuke knives. I have the HD2 (semi-stainless) the GS also semi-stainless (but in my opinion a thinner knife) and I have two Fujiyama's which is closer to the MM listed above. I would recommend the HD2 to you or if you can maintain carbon steel the MM which is a Blue #2 steel with great edge retention.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

OP hasn't been back to see even the first response. Guess he changed his mind or found what he wanted.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
bosco

Post by bosco »

I have been incredibly impressed with the HD2 as well...

I need closure here... what did he get lol
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm OP hasn't been back to see even the first response. Guess he changed his mind or found what he wanted.
I wish the related feature were improved. I've seen several posters come back a while later having "lost" the initial post because the subscribe option is not default and the forum list of active threads is totally unpredictable if you don't check bi-daily or so. Point is, you have to subscribe to your own initiated post to even know someone has posted something. I do not think this is obvious at all for newcomers to the forum or to people who Mark sends here with questions like this.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Well, having "lost" the initial post isn't a factor here. He hasn't logged in since the day he posted the question.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:45 pm Well, having "lost" the initial post isn't a factor here. He hasn't logged in since the day he posted the question.
Sorry; I guess I just meant that I know I've seen examples where people don't log back in because they expect a notification is someone has responded to the post, which is a reasonable expectation because lots of webstuff defaults to that practice if you post something, even a comment. You're probably right in that this particular person just made a decision and didn't check back in.

There's obviously a little box below as I type this that can take defaults (for example, my signature it checked as a default, but "Notify me when a reply is posted" is not checked as a default). It seems like a pretty easy and pretty favorable fix to just have the "notify me" be the default for all of us, which can easily be unchecked for those people who want to post something (usually mean) and then never return to deal with the response...!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Knowing whether I am recommending a 240 or 210 would dictate different choices.

I just bought a pair of new 210s, and though I've only used them a day, there is a big difference between a 240 and 210. I used 8-inch or smaller German knives for years, but once I made the switch to 240s about 3 1/2 years ago, I much prefer them.

Still, 210s are good and I wanted one for smaller cooking sessions. Got the Makoto Ryusei and Tanaka Nashiji. Both stainless clad and around $175 each. Superb knives, both. The Tanaka might be the sharpest knife I've ever received out of the box. Pure performer with a tilt toward rocking.

The Makoto is more stylish and has better finish. A bit more suited to pushing and light chopping. Not going to find much better knife for the money.

For 240s, I am a big fan of the Kanehiro AS and ginsan. Both are great all-round performers with high level, if rustic, fit and finish.

I don't generally recommend lasers as first Japanese knives. All of these are midweights for their length. The 210s do cut a bit more like lasers.

For steels that can take more of a beating, relatively speaking, I prefer Blue steel No. 2.
Jeffry B
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

BUY THE TOYAMA IN THE CLASSIFIED SECTION!!!!!