Knife roll

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cwillett

Knife roll

Post by cwillett »

Although not a request for a knife recommendation, it is a request for something related to a knife. Namely, a way of transporting knives from one point to another. I find myself with a family gig to cook Christmas eve dinner for one side of the family, and Christmas dinner for the other side of the family. I did the Christmas eve dinner last year for 30 people with the knives on hand (standard German). That was ok, sort of. The Christmas dinner is in a VRBO and I'm assuming the knives will be awful. I'm looking for a nice knife roll that can hold 4-5 knives up to a 240mm gyuto. I'd like something of some quality, maybe leather or waxed canvas. I don't need something giant. On the CKTG site, this caught my eye:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/jawleknrosm.html

I like the looks and the compact size. But I worry that it will be like a gun safe that advertises a capacity of 16 guns and holds 5 in reality. This is the upper limits of what I'd want to pay.

Any thoughts on the above model or other suggestions
Drewski

Re: Knife roll

Post by Drewski »

I have a Boldric 1 buckle, and I think it's great for carrying around a few knives and some accessories.

https://www.boldric.com/store/one-buckl ... -knife-bag
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

The taller a knife is (spine to edge), the less likely you can put a knife in the next slot over.. Of course you may get away with putting a pairing or petty next to a 270 gyuto, but you won't know until you try.
If you're only using it once or twice a year, this could be overkill for what you need.
A cheaper alternative could be a toolbox with a removable tray. I used to lug around my kit in one for a long time. There was room for whisks, offset spatulas, sharpening stones or whatever.

Rolls have their place though, and I can't speak about the Jaw but Boldric puts out a nice product for sure. The strip of fabric that they put so you can weave it through the knives to keep them from scratching each other is a nice touch.

Here's a boldric about as loaded as I could get it.
LostHighway

Post by LostHighway »

I haven't handled the JAW Leather roll that CKtG sells but Darkhardt is another nice alternative http://www.darkhardt.com/shop/asphyx-med-1.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I have a basic Messermeister one that holds 8 or 10 knifes. Red ballistic nylon that has served me well for many years. It's I the trunk right now with some knives and tongs in case we want to BBQ tomorrow at work (might be 50 here). If you just need one once a week I think they are great - bought if at Macy's downtown
bosco

Post by bosco »

I have a canvas one with leather trimming from a local knife shop. It’s there own brand. I loved the one offered by medium rare chef but couldn’t justify the cost.

If you are in Canada let me know and I can hit you up with their info
salemj

Post by salemj »

I just have a cheap CKTG one (the green clearance one). I wouldn't really recommend it in the case at all, but I will say that the key is the number of knives: if you don't plan on carrying more than 4-5, then a bag for 8 should be the perfect size; I would not go smaller. (My feeling is that most bags can hold about HALF of what they advertise if you are planning to carry mostly larger knives with sayas; for pros it is different: it is easy to fill 8-10 slots if only 2-3 are larger knives with says and the rest are medium or small or other types of narrow gadgets and a steel.). Regardless, once you add in the sayas and bulkier (yes, bulkier than Western) Japanese custom handles, the real issue is for the bag to close nicely without being overstuffed or creasing in the wrong places. This is another reason I'd opt for at least 8 slots if the goal is to carry 4-5 nicer knives in style.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Dawgfish

Post by Dawgfish »

Not to slightly change directions, but anyone have a knife roll option combined with a way to carry stones? The tool chest idea got me thinking.

Charlie
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Dawgfish wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:42 pm Not to slightly change directions, but anyone have a knife roll option combined with a way to carry stones? The tool chest idea got me thinking.

Charlie
I should point out that considering they potential for moisture/ humidity in the stones it's generally not going to be a good idea to store them together with knives... I was only saying that it might work for transportation, even then I might suggest only doing that with stainless knives.

I think if you tried to combine knife and stone rolls you would still want them to be separated pretty well for that reason.

Best bet is probably the ultimate edge bag
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ultimate ... e-bag.html
But I still wouldn't put stones in there unless I knew they were completely dry.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

The entire middle section of my ultimate edge is non knifes.....
spoons
spats
scissors
ugh so much
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

LostHighway wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:50 am I haven't handled the JAW Leather roll that CKtG sells but Darkhardt is another nice alternative http://www.darkhardt.com/shop/asphyx-med-1.
I will second Darkhardt. Really beautiful.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

Drewski wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 am I have a Boldric 1 buckle, and I think it's great for carrying around a few knives and some accessories.

I use the same roll and im very satisfied. I can carry 2 240s, 2 210s, 1 270 suji, a couple of spoons, thermometer, a couple of pettys, fish spatula, microplane. Only plastic and cardboard bladeguards though.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Igalor wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:17 pm
Drewski wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 am I have a Boldric 1 buckle, and I think it's great for carrying around a few knives and some accessories.

I use the same roll and im very satisfied. I can carry 2 240s, 2 210s, 1 270 suji, a couple of spoons, thermometer, a couple of pettys, fish spatula, microplane. Only plastic and cardboard bladeguards though.
Ya, without sayas there is plenty of room.
slobound

Post by slobound »

I also use a boldric 7 pocket to carry my knives around. I’m happy with it and it’s well built. But just like knives, I’m jonesin’ for a Darkhardt roll. They look sweeeeet!
-- Garrick
inzite

Post by inzite »

darkhardt!!!
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:17 am The entire middle section of my ultimate edge is non knifes.....
spoons
spats
scissors
ugh so much

Gnocchi paddle, lighter, specialty knives, dear god there needs to be an ultimate edge thread with just photos. 😂
-C-
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

cooknola wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:12 am
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:17 am The entire middle section of my ultimate edge is non knifes.....
spoons
spats
scissors
ugh so much

Gnocchi paddle, lighter, specialty knives, dear god there needs to be an ultimate edge thread with just photos. 😂
I think I threw up a knife roll pic once I could do it again.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I just posted on another thread that I got an idea recently. I used to be a percussionist and in thinking about making my own knife bag, I remembered I made my own percussion mallet bag in high school. If the goal is to transport a smaller number of knives, they have a lot of potential; it is also probably easy to find "bespoke" ones. To be honest, I am going to explore this myself, as I'm 99% sure that a small mallet stick bag or drum stick bag will actually fit four large knives with sayas more securely, easily, and efficiently that a lot of knife bags designed for chef's full kits. They also have the added bonus of being a little taller on average with large pockets, so it should be easy to fit a 240mm without it getting near the top of the bag, and the whole saya would be secure rather than just the handle.

Anyways, it is a new idea and may be terrible, but it seems worth exploring for those of us who only want to carry 3-4 knives and a long bread knife or steel on holidays.

This is a super cheap and basic one which provides a very clear concept of what most of these bags are designed to do. You can see how nicely it would securely hold most knives + sayas, with perhaps a doubling-up of two knives in one of the pouches if needed. Bags like these have the added bonus - unlike most knife rolls – of being designed to hold a few thicker, wider items without any extra bulk in thickness, which can be nice if you have sayas.

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product ... mallet-bag

Perhaps a terrible idea, but I'm curious what people think.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

inzite

Post by inzite »

nothing but amazing things to say for darkhardt! I love mine!