First Japanese Knife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Drewski

Re: First Japanese Knife

Post by Drewski »

tizianca wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:22 am Do you guys suggest the vinager method to get the patina started? forgot to ask before
I think with a stainless clad AS blade, you'll be fine to just use, wipe, dry, and let the patina form naturally from usage. There's a cool patina thread here tho, if you are interested in that kinda stuff (note that the blades showing patina all over them are not stainless clad):
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=379
salemj

Post by salemj »

I would never use vinegar to force a patina on a core steel. It is counter-productive: acidic ingredients actually corrode the edge, which means you have to re-sharpen it, which only exposes new metal that needs a new patina, etc. You are much better letting it react slowly with typical ingredients. If you have to worry about the edge itself rusting, you are better off with a stainless knife. Patinas are typically much more about avoiding corrosion on highly reactive iron claddings that have less contact with ingredients, not core alloys.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
tizianca

Post by tizianca »

I’m not worried about rust, I was just wondering about the formation of the patina and the way that it came out, but after a few days of use, there is a more or less consistent blue patina on the exposed core, which I really like the looks of. I always use it, rince it with a damp cloth and dry it with a towel. Never leave it wet or in the hands of someone else.
I’ll attach the pictures.
Does it seem right?
Thank you
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

She’s pretty. Nice patina.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That patina is fine. It will darken more over time giving the knife an even
more cool contrast and it may even change colors from time to time.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
tizianca

Post by tizianca »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:12 pm That patina is fine. It will darken more over time giving the knife an even
more cool contrast and it may even change colors from time to time.
This is how it looks right now, sharpened last week so had the time to reform on the edge.
Attachments
5FC84BFD-2D5C-4C28-B05A-7F423A5951D2.jpeg
5F7CD3A4-F341-411B-A18E-B2D86DF53BC2.jpeg
9F1B6227-05CB-47F1-8E7D-B911DCB17105.jpeg