Asymmetric edge with a left handed edge

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Asymmetric edge with a left handed edge

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'm buying the knife for a friend, a chef, who happens to be left handed. I, also a chef, all of my knives are sharpened with 70/30 edge on the right side of the blade, or traditional as I've heard of it. So if he uses my knife the knife edge would be up against the opposite hand as he guides it along, which is uncomfortable.

I've never used or purchased a knife with a conversion so the edge is on the left side of the blade, but I've heard that it can be done.

Of coarse, I could avoid all of that directly and buy a knife with 50/50 bevel. But in my experience, nothing compares to a 70/30.

Can this be done any knife purchased off of your website?

thank you

Joe
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Asymmetric edge with a left handed edge

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Can we discuss this again? I get this type of question from customers weekly.

I could easily say "Yes we offer this conversion service" but I just don't feel real comfortable doing it since it's a waste of money. If I can't tell the difference when I sharpen my personal knives with left sided micro bevels (and I do this all the time since I like to hold the knife in my right hand more than my left) than I doubt most others can feel it.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think it is important to start by remembering there is a huge difference between bevel and grind. Some knives have a very strong grind bias, such as a Suisin Inox series or a Masamoto VG series: these knives have the vast majority of convex curve on the right blade face, with a flatter back blade face. When combined with an asymmetric bevel, the grind/geometry produces something that almost feels like it has the accuracy and sharpness of a single-bevel knife in use.

Many other blade grinds are closer to 50/50 or 60/40 now. For example, I have some Konosukes that feel about 60/40, but for all practical purposes, they act like symmetrical grinds and will take any edge bias you want. I often put on asymmetrical edges because I prefer them (60/40ish), but these have little affect on the feel or technique of the cut going through food; they merely affect the feel of "sharpness" at the edge.

I can't tell if your post suggests your friend DOES feel uncomfortable, or WOULD feel uncomfortable, using your knife. Oddly enough, even though a Suisin is a VERY thin blade with what looks like minimal bias, I think I would feel weird using one as a left-hander. But I cannot imagine feeling that way using most of my other knives, many of which are somewhat asymmetrical grind but still have "some" curvature on both sides. And I certainly cannot imagine feeing that way when it comes to a mere bevel. But more than this, an asymetrical bevel is very easy to change or correct, but it is pretty much pointless to try to adjust an asymmetrical grind as it is wear away a lot of steel and also change the resulting geometry so much that the knife will not be what it was.

All that being said, there are lots of options for a left-hander, from symmetrical grinds which will easily take a left-handed asymmetrical edge, to knives which are specifically left-hander friendly. The easiest way to deal with this question is to watch Steve's videos: he's left handed, and IF he's actually used the knife, he usually comments on how it feels as a left-hander. The next easiest way is to actually ask for advice for a left-handed friendly blade of a specific type on the forum. For example: 240, all stainless gyuto with a Japanese handle which is left-handed friendly. CKTG sometimes lists asymmetrical grinds, but often they do NOT, so if you are really sensitive, a lot of "50/50 bevel" knives on the site are NOT in fact 50/50 GRIND knives. If you post a list and get feedback from a few users, you can get a much better sense of whether some knives tend to have aymmetrical grinds or not (the Kohetsu HAP40 is a good example: it used to list a symmetrical bevel but now says it has a slightly asymmetrical grind which is not noticeably by most users). The point is, many of these knives are hand-ground, so even if Mark requests and the smith "tries for" a 50/50 grind, there is often some bias. It can be right, or left, and often it is so little that you cannot feel it, but for some (and with thicker knives), it can be noticeable, so it is worth asking!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

The biggest issue, for me, in using a 70/30 right hand biased knife is steerage in food, manly hard ingredients. I have also tried a left hand biased 70/30 knife. While, it allowed me to be a little more precise it wasn't worth the left handed premium. You would be better off paying the left handed premium for a single bevel. Really, when I was processing boxes of vegetables I was not able.to tell the difference between a 50/50 grind and a 70/30 grind after an hour or two.

I guess that is my long winded way of recommending you get a 50/50 grind knife for your friend.

Another option would be for your friend to.practice using his right hand. Most of the kitchens I've worked in had the stations setup for a right hander. It was actually faster for me to.use my right hand rather than change the setup at the station, if I was even able to change it around. It took me about 3 months practicing at home before was comfortable enough using my right hand to begin using it at work.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Wow that's impressive being able to switch hands for cutting. I don't know if I've ever tried that. I can switch hit a baseball so I'm guessing with a little practice I could cut as a left too.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Personally, I can’t tell much difference between 50/50 or 70/30 if it’s just the bevel. The grind is more noticeable.

My knives all seem to trend toward 70/30 left bias as I sharpen anyway as I’m better on one side than the other haha
OgerBash

Post by OgerBash »

Being a left in a right handed word you are forced alot of times to learn to do things with your right hand through life. So sometimes it is just easier to do things right handed (ie play a musical instrument and martial arts) than to try to find someone to teach you to do it left handed.

I'm still slower with my right hand but my precision is the same with both hands. In regards to using a knife.

Plus when I'm cooking at home I like to challenge myself. Especially, when I'm making a dish I've mostly mastered. It can give you a different perspective when prepared with a different hand.
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:39 pm Wow that's impressive being able to switch hands for cutting. I don't know if I've ever tried that. I can switch hit a baseball so I'm guessing with a little practice I could cut as a left too.