Pro looking for a new workhorse

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Doubleojon

Re: Pro looking for a new workhorse

Post by Doubleojon »

Is the Kanehiro that much better that I should bring it back into the fold? I don't mind the price if it's that much better, and can take a beating.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Doubleojon wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 pm Is the Kanehiro that much better that I should bring it back into the fold? I don't mind the price if it's that much better, and can take a beating.
---
Even considering the $70 difference, the Gihei Blue No.2 steel is tougher and IMO can take more of a beating - The Gihei Kanji says it all...

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Doubleojon wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 pm Is the Kanehiro that much better that I should bring it back into the fold? I don't mind the price if it's that much better, and can take a beating.
I've used the gihie and kaneheri side by side in a passaround. I was more interested at first glance of trying the gihie, but I definitely fell for the kanehiro. The kanehiro was for me just a better overall all arounder. The gihie felt a lot more idiosyncratic. Great knife and I would love to give one a go again and even own one. But at times it just felt to brawny and a bit overkill to sling around all the time imo. I also felt like the kanehiro was a better all around pure cutter. For me, if I was having just one main knife, I would definitely go with the kanehiro. Even with all the knifes I have and have used the kanehiro would be one of the top one and dones, if I could only have one. I also like the makato stainless clad white 2. It more like the kanehiro than the r2 makato line. It's definitely not the same as the kanehiro, but a great knife that could save cash and be an interesting work horse. But id still pick the kanehiro as an overall main gyuto. It can definitely come down to preference on this one though. I will say I'm not one to shy away from heavier knifes. I have heavier gyutos than the gihie that are some of my favorites. My thoughts are initial impressions though.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Both are great knives but if I had to use one knife for several hours everyday I'd prefer the Kanehiro. Is it worth $70 more than the Gihei? To some yes to others no, big help right. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:49 pm With the Kanehiro out I'd go Gihei all the way.
+1
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

gladius wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:38 pm
---
Even considering the $70 difference, the Gihei Blue No.2 steel is tougher and IMO can take more of a beating - The Gihei Kanji says it all...

Booya!!! I love my little horsey haha
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Kanehiro AS is a dream.
It’s an amazing knife one that hasn’t left my roll.

Almost sold it glad it didn’t find a buyer.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm
Both are great knives but if I had to use one knife for several hours everyday I'd prefer the Kanehiro. Is it worth $70 more than the Gihei? To some yes to others no, big help right. ;)
Super helpful Jeff. Get this one or get that one hahaha.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I’ve mever heard anything bad about kanehiros, maybe just that the tip isn’t super thin, but do you need that for a workhorse? I’d say no. I’ve yet to try one, but always wanted to. I wonder if the op wants more flat than belly? Or maybe I missed it in the conversation here. I can say though, that the Gihei isn’t super fluid through red cabbage for sure, and only average for green cabbage compared to several others I’ve used, but it’s unreal for most other things. I compared it to a Kono laser when slicing steaks, and, due to the heft, I liked the Gihei better than the Kono. It’s weight is it’s biggest advantage. Along with it’s grind of course. Can hardly say enough good about it. Again, to the OP, try one and if you don’t like it, sell it and you will hardly be out enough to try something else.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Kanehiro tip is quite thin - thin enough to do anything one needs to do.

The Gihei is a heck of knife. One of the better curvy tip-flat heel combos on CKTG. I just found it a tad too heavy for me. My erstwhile Gihei was about 7.8 ounces. I prefer them in the 6.5 oz to 7 oz range and no more than 7.5 oz.

A bigger person - I am 5-10 200 lbs - wouldn't be troubled at all. The question is whether it would bother you given what you've been using. I imagine your prior working knife weighed notably less.

As for the Kanehiro ... it doesn't chop quite as well as the Gihei and it's not quite as tough. But it is an above average chopper owing to its height. Nor is the steel dainty. This is a great knife.

I still think the best compromise choice between the Gihei and Kanehiro is the Tanaka Nashiji. It is a bit curvier than both, but I can chop most ingredients just fine by angling my downward swings more acutely. The tip performs at least as well if not better than the Kanehiro and the heel is stouter, but the knife itself is similar in weight. Gets as sharp as any knife I own.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Chefspence wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 am
Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:34 pm
Super helpful Jeff. Get this one or get that one hahaha.
About what it comes down to for me. :D
Look at the subtle differences in both knives and say "I like this one better." About all you can do with two great knives.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Doubleojon

Post by Doubleojon »

Decisions, man.
This post has really made me take stock of my cutting style and what exactly I use my knife for. I "grew up" using tall knives with heft, and did a lot of rough chopping. But for the past 7 or so years I've done a lot more finesse work. The Kono was perfect for me as it had a familiar-feeling profile that was very versatile, but was shockingly light and easy to maneuver. I think that's why I'm leaning towards the Kanehiro.
For some reason though, the Gihei's heft keeps speaking to what we'll call my inner child.
That brings us to the Tanaka, which from what I gather is a bit of a middle ground between the other two. The only concern I have there is the blade profile. Does it require a chopping technique adjustment, or must one simply stay on top of their technique?
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

I still say the gihei is a killer knife and I loved it. and donated it to my prep cook who absolutely had no interest in knives but soon after using it.....loved it. Oak handle is great, it's stainless clad. It's got enough meat and height to make it an easy driver for prep and the steel and heat treatment are spot on.

I also know that the other knives recommended are excellent.
But from my own experiences that is a no brainier for hammering nails and not having to stress about it.
Weight is a weird thing and I like some. It makes cranking out crazy numbers easy if you don't have to fight the edge on the knife or your own technique.
I owned mine for about two months and then tipped it. So it got a full grind and resharpen and that's the way it's stayed for over a year with Tony. Every so often I borrow it and rub a new edge on it for him but mostly he does the old newspaper strop or a leather strap.

Either way if you absolutely hate it, they sell here or it's an easy turn over in most kitchens because the price isnt too bad.

I'll say tipping it wasn't my fault but the fault of a careless waitstaff who messed with my station while I was calling a vender.
There's was hell to pay but it was a fun learning experience trying to fix it.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Gihei seems to speak to you. I don't think the weight would be an issue because of the very neutral balance point. And though some knives might be better suited, it's not like this knife "can't" do finesse work. It does have a decent distal taper on the front 3rd of the blade with a nimble and thin tip for such a hearty knife. If it is calling for you I wouldn't be afraid of it.
Doubleojon

Post by Doubleojon »

After much deliberation I landed on the Kanehiro. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to lend their opinions and experience.
I'm very excited, it arrives Monday!
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Doubleojon wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 pm After much deliberation I landed on the Kanehiro. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to lend their opinions and experience.
Great choice. I'm excited to hear how you like it. I sold my Kanehiro and regret it.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:49 pm With the Kanehiro out I'd go Gihei all the way.
+1 on this
I like the Kanehiro for a daily driver and do use it still as one.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Doubleojon wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 pm After much deliberation I landed on the Kanehiro. Thanks again to everyone that took the time to lend their opinions and experience.
Excellent choice, I'm confident you'll love this knife!
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

Good choice. They are fantastic workhorse knives with great steel. You will love it
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

You'll love it.
The AS sharpens like a dream and it is just a fantastic balance of finesse and toughness