Looking for new chef's knife. Seasoned chef here.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
zakrandom

Looking for new chef's knife. Seasoned chef here.

Post by zakrandom »

1)Pro or home cook?
Professional chef

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
gyuto or kiritsuke

3) What size knife do you want?
210-240mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
100 - 300

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Looking for a knife that won't make my food products discolor. So, I guess stainless. Unless theres a very easy way to keep carbons from making my onions turn brown. Definitely a steel with a good edge retention, not difficult to sharpen, and very very sharp.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
either or

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Tanaka Ginsan Gyuto 240mm
I dont remember name of this other one, but might be a carbon Tanaka

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good. Traditional cuts, and efficient with certain products. Can't cut almost anything as fast or as aesthetically nice as I need it.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
All. Depends on what I'm cutting. Chop garlic. Push/pull onions or peppers, rocking celery, etc

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes. But Ive only used my 1k/6k years. Used strahps before too.

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.
Just a really good knife for long prep shifts. or cutting big batches of things. Also a knife I could go from prep to line easily. Never know when I gotta bail the kids out of the weeds.
I did buy my friend the Takamura Chromax Gyuto 210mm. He likes it a lot. Its a good knife. Though the steel is very soft and light. Very very easy to chip we have noticed. But very easy to keep sharp, and its very sharp when done right. Very pretty too. I might get it as well, but would really like a 240mm version of it Though 210mm is nice too.
Drewski

Re: Looking for new chef's knife. Seasoned chef here.

Post by Drewski »

Kohetsu HAP40 240. Amazing edge retention and stainless.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy24.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

My HAP40 blades take eons to develop a patina, so the steel might make a great choice for you - my Kohetsu stuff performs very well. I'm surprised that this has not crossed your mind

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koswstgy241.html

Especially considering how many love Konosuke blades here (I have my first, a beautiful HD2 240 that has not really made it into my knife rotation yet, but what little I have used it on has been a joy), I would think someone would have immediately pointed it out
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrgy24.html
I’m not familiar with this knife but it seems to get a lot of love from the pro chefs.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ve been using the harukaze srs15 210 for the past week in a small, upscale restaurant as both a prep and line knife. It takes and holds an edge exceedingly well, and is quite possibly the most well rounded performing knife I’ve used. I keep trying to figure out “what’s the catch”. While some knives trade strength for precision, food release for penetration, edge taking for edge holding, etc. the harukaze seems to tick just enough boxes in all directions. There might be knives that move a touch more fluid through product or shed food slightly better, but overall it can keep up in any category with knives I’ve tried that’ve cost exponentially more. By my first gallon of mirepoix, I could tell it was a great purchase and have no qualms recommending it to any pro.

The western handle balances in a different spot than you’ll be used to coming from a Tanaka, and the edge profile is a tad curvaceous; however, it’s easy to get used to them. If where I work had more space, I’d have picked up the 240; however, the oversized 210 is a pretty effective size, big enough (and durable enough) for breaking down butternuts without issue.

As to the takamura being a tad chip prone, try backing off the edge angle slightly while sharpening, it might lose a touch of performance but you’ll spend less time on the stones getting all the nicks out.
justgettinalong

Post by justgettinalong »

Hap40 steel great choice Much easier to keep it sharp. For sure takes awhile to patina
snipes

Post by snipes »

I always enjoy these threads from seasoned Pros looking for a no nonsense blade for their toolkit. Following along, but nothing of value to add.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’m curious if your carbon Tanaka is iron clad or stainless clad. I’ve used many a stainless clad carbon that hasn’t discolored anything once a nice patina has set in, and to the best of my knowledge before as well. I have used full carbons that discolored peaches and tomato’s, I can understand not wanting to deal with it. FWIW, my two primary work knives for years have been a kohetsu blue 2 western gyuto and a Kurosaki AS laser gyuto, neither of which have discolored a single food item and both wear deep patinas. Both the Kurosaki and kohetsu are very pro friendly knives that have served me well. If you are open to ss clad carbon it opens things up pretty wide. Another full stainless knife I have no qualms vouching for is another Tanaka. What Tanaka San does with vg10 steel is on a different level from any other vg10 I’ve used. Gets super sharp, super easy, while keeping that edge pretty well. In the small amount of time I test drove that Tanaka I really liked it; however, I wouldn’t put it on the same level as the harukaze.
zakrandom

Post by zakrandom »

snipes wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 am I always enjoy these threads from seasoned Pros looking for a no nonsense blade for their toolkit. Following along, but nothing of value to add.
Snipes do you have anything to add? Sounds like you may have some input?
snipes

Post by snipes »

zakrandom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm
snipes wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:02 am I always enjoy these threads from seasoned Pros looking for a no nonsense blade for their toolkit. Following along, but nothing of value to add.
Nope. A big day in the kitchen for me is cooking for six people with no time pressures. Any knife recommendations I might make would have no basis in your reality.
Please be sure to let us know how whatever you choose works out for you.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

snipes wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 pm
zakrandom wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:10 pm
Nope. A big day in the kitchen for me is cooking for six people with no time pressures. Any knife recommendations I might make would have no basis in your reality.
Please be sure to let us know how whatever you choose works out for you.
Snipes - you probably have a great deal to input for most on this site. I've learned that my cutting techniques (learned 50 years ago) and how I use a blade does transfer well into a pro kitchen. Home cooks can have good knife skills, but just lack the practice. And their views are probably better info than many pro chefs for most of those here - I don't think all of the members of this site are pro chefs, but rather we have many "wannabes" like me. A person with great knife skills can make almost any blade work better than most, but a person lacking said skills needs a better tool and understanding of aspects of knives than the pros do. That said, working in a pro environment seems more towards fast and precise technique than having a best knife - a good thin 240 gyuto that I learned to love at home is my choice for when I need to cut a couple boxes of onions in short order - I've just learned to be faster and cut product into more even pieces. If you have had a good selection of knifes in hand and used them - you will be able to differentiate what a home cook needs
Null_User

Post by Null_User »

If you are looking for a work horse the Gihei is a beautiful choice.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2gy24.html
Easy steel to maintain. No food discoloration. A beast.
On the other hand the Masakage Yuki is also a beautiful choice.
Light weight, thin edge, and the steel can be sharpened to a razor.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mayugy21.html