Here we go again

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
holdmyburr

Here we go again

Post by holdmyburr »

Hey guys, I know this topic has been done to death but it seems like a lot of you love to give these recommendations. I've been interested in Japanese knives for years but was always intimidated by the huge range of styles, plethora of unfamiliar terminology, and countless options out there. But recently, a coworker let me use a couple of his knives and I fell absolutely in love. Since then I've been pouring over reviews, product pages, and forum posts looking for "the one." But after several weeks of this I've finally abandoned the idea that I could do this on my own. So I come to you a broken man, in hopes that you might finally put and end to my search.

I guess I should start with the basics:

1) Home cook with a few years' professional experience as a line / prep cook. I no longer work in kitchens so whatever I buy will be used at home only.

2) Looking for a versatile, general purpose knife to start. Most interested in gyutos, but santokus and bunkas as well. I'm as obsessive a hobbyist as they come, so recommendations in different categories are welcome as there is 0 chance that this will be the only Japanese knife I buy.

3) 210-240mm gyuto, leaning towards the 210 end (space constraints), ~180mm santoku or bunka

4) Looking to spend under $200 but my budget is flexible.

5) Have been looking mostly at stainless clad / reactive core blades but I'm open to most options. I am a very meticulous person so maintaining a fully reactive blade would be no problem. Blade composition comes down more to performance and appearance (which we'll get into later) than reactivity.

6) Japanese handle

7) Main knife at the moment is a humble Victorinox Fibrox 8" chef. Have owned or used a variety of knives from big names and small including Wusthof, Henckels, Shun, Miyabi, etc.

8) Knife skills are good. As I said, I did work professionally for some time and have sliced, diced, and chopped more food than I could consume in a lifetime. I'm no chef nor do I plow through ingredients the way some people can, but I know what I'm doing.

9) Mostly push-cuts. Rocking if I'm mincing herbs or garlic. Some chopping, but not lightening speed like some people are capable of. Really whatever the situation seems to call for.

10) I sharpen using whetstones. I probably sharpen knives better than I use them. I sharpen my own kitchen and pocket knives, as well as for some family and a few friends. No stranger to different steel types, hardness, etc.

Now for the specifics. Like I said, anything I wind up buying will be used at home. Space is a bit limited at the moment (studio apartment, small kitchen, limited counter space to maneuver / work with) so I'm leaning towards something in the 180-210mm range. Versatile cutting profile preferred as I'm not married to any one technique. I do mostly push-cut, but I like to have options. As far as looks go, I generally prefer more understated, minimalist aesthetics. Subtle character, nothing over-the-top flashy. I love the look of kurouchi and nashiji finishes. Never been super into the look of damascus, but it is starting to grow on me. I've been leaning mostly towards the Hitachi steels. Not sure if it's worth mentioning but right now I'm using poly boards. I will be upgrading to something more edge-friendly when I do finally buy a knife.

So sorry to clutter the forum with another "recommend me a 210 gyuto" thread, but I'm sure you all remember how overwhelming your first purchase can be. I know that there is no one perfect knife and that's not what I'm looking for, just hoping to find a really solid introduction to the vast world of Japanese blades.
HectorFuego

Re: Here we go again

Post by HectorFuego »

You might take a look at one of these. I have the 240 Yo handle version and it's my goto knife. Clad AS steel is great.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

Hector
AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Are you looking for something really thin (i.e., a laser) or something at the more weighty end of the spectrum?

Personally, if I was in the market for a new 210, I'd pick up the Yahiko Sanjo Nashiji. It checks all the boxes for me: taller than normal at 49mm; thicker spine, but with a high and thin grind; super sweet handle; white steel with a reactive cover (I like building a patina). It's about 170gr, which is a bit on the heavy side for a 210, but it's also a bit oversized and it has a chestnut handle.

It also comes in a 180, if you wanted the smaller version.

Good luck and have fun!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Your an obsessive hobbyist? You know you will buy more down the road? Sound like your dangerously close to falling down the rabbithole, which in my opinion is a whole lot of fun. Welcome to the forum! I’ll link one knife they may fit your bill, stainless clad with a reactive core. Core is Blue #2, it will hold an edge and you sound like you have the sharpening skills to handle it just fine. These knives are thin behind the edge but I would watch the video on the link to get the low down, Steve does a great job explaining the different knives. Anryu Blue #2, it’s a great choice among many. One last note, there was a Konosuke Fugiyama in the classifieds, top of the heap in performance and it will holds it value!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anhagy21.html
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
justgettinalong

Post by justgettinalong »

Something to think about if scratches in your knife drive you nuts. Think a bit more about the finish. Performance is great but most of us like our knives to look good as long as possible.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Awesome knife for the money. Gihei Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gibl2gy21.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
holdmyburr

Post by holdmyburr »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the inactivity, I didn't abandon the thread! Thanks for the warm welcome and all of your suggestions. A couple of the knives named here were on my very long list of considerations, so I feel a lot more confident after seeing them recommended.
AlbuquerqueDan wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:56 am Are you looking for something really thin (i.e., a laser) or something at the more weighty end of the spectrum?
Looking for something more medium to light. Heavier towards the blade if not a neutral balance.
nakneker wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 am Your an obsessive hobbyist? You know you will buy more down the road? Sound like your dangerously close to falling down the rabbithole
Check, check, and check. Teetering right on the edge :lol: Also, the knife you linked is definitely high on the list. Anryus were some of the first to catch my eye.
justgettinalong wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm Something to think about if scratches in your knife drive you nuts. Think a bit more about the finish.
Yes this is definitely something I'm considering. Partly why I'm drawn to nashiji and kurouchi finishes (other than just looking downright beautiful imo). Do you find these styles do well to prevent / hide scratches and wear, or would you recommend something else?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nashiji finishes do very well preventing or hiding cosmetic wear. Kurouchi varies from line to line as to how well, some holds up well and some wears kind of fast.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.