Petty knives for steak knives?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cooknola

Re: Petty knives for steak knives?

Post by cooknola »

Not gonna lie but I used to pick up a 4 pack of the 88¢ “paring” knives at Walmart. Somehow they’re single bevel and oddly work well for steak. The fine dining I’ve worked at used Laguiole- fucking love them- but at home? Nah. Cheaper the better. Besides. At MR-M I don’t need a nice knife just for steak.
-C-
old onion

Post by old onion »

Sometimes I use my Opinal#8 in stainless and sometimes I just use a few of my butter knives that I made steak knives out of.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bul4OMWAs36 ... _copy_link

I didn't have $2500 burning a hole in my pocket... but boy, if I did...
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

At home steak knives, I say go cheap. Friends and relatives usually don't care about your knives, so they will have no issues dulling the crap out of those blades, digging them into the ceramic plates. I use relatively cheap knives and then sharpen them regularly on a Work Sharp.
Evergreen

Post by Evergreen »

The work sharp is definitely your friend with steak knives...takes about 90 seconds to bring back the edge from completely dull to shaving sharp.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

I too have started pulling my suji out to slice steaks before plating, and I am using my steak knives a little less.

That said, I have some great Laguiole knives bought in France a few decades ago. More recently, for a different aesthetic, I have brought back from France two 9.47 table knives from Perceval. Really different look, extremely simple and very clean lines, and nice choices in handle composition. But not cheap. Need to save for more. They are made in the Auvergne region of France.

Here's a link if you are curious... https://www.perceval-knives.co.uk/index ... e-947.html

I have also seen a few knife shops selling sets or four or six hankotsus actually labeled as steak knives. I like the idea of using something for a steak knife that would have other purposes as well.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:45 am I too have started pulling my suji out to slice steaks before plating, and I am using my steak knives a little less.

That said, I have some great Laguiole knives bought in France a few decades ago. More recently, for a different aesthetic, I have brought back from France two 9.47 table knives from Perceval. Really different look, extremely simple and very clean lines, and nice choices in handle composition. But not cheap. Need to save for more. They are made in the Auvergne region of France.

Here's a link if you are curious... https://www.perceval-knives.co.uk/index ... e-947.html

I have also seen a few knife shops selling sets or four or six hankotsus actually labeled as steak knives. I like the idea of using something for a steak knife that would have other purposes as well.
Those Perceval are really pretty. Love the simple look, but pricey indeed. And great suggestion about a hankotsu. The Kikuichi Elite Carbon looks cool, but also pricey. The Kanehide Bessaku is a much more reasonable option.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I think I saw a video someone posted in this forum a while back where someone took butter knives ground them down a bit and then sharpened them. Seemed like a lot if work, but probably the cheapest option especially if you get a set from a thrift store.

I can't seem to get myself to spend the money for nice steak knives. Don't eat steak at home much anyhow. I bought a set of Wusthof steak knives a while back on sale at a local kitchen store for like $40 I think. They're serrated which I don't love but they don't tear the shit out of the steak so I'm cool with 6 knives for that price.

If I did fork out money for steak knives, I'd probably do some 120 petty knives 90mm is probably too short but these some great looking petties on CKTG that would be cool to have as a set
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Right now my favorite steak knife is a spyderco mule. https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... m-project/

It’s profile is great for a steak knife. I used the DP for a while but it’s flat profile isn’t great for cutting on a plate.

From your list I’d likely go with Kanehide Bessaku Hankotsu 150mm. Looks promising.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I know there were those forum special Sakai Takayuki steak knives that just went out, hope to hear back from those who got what they think. The hammered AND damascus pattern is very appealing. Another new arrival that looks suitable, but might not be depending on how stiff the blade is, is the Yaxell Dragon Fire boning knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yadrfibdbokn.html
snipes

Post by snipes »

Drewski wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:25 pm I know there were those forum special Sakai Takayuki steak knives that just went out, hope to hear back from those who got what they think. The hammered AND damascus pattern is very appealing. Another new arrival that looks suitable, but might not be depending on how stiff the blade is, is the Yaxell Dragon Fire boning knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yadrfibdbokn.html
Drewski - I just opened my forum special today, put some initial thoughts in the larger thread on the offer. If you are in the market and considering the Takayuki I'd say it's an absolute no brainer at the current forum special price vs. the Yaxell listed here @2x the price.
melissa047

Post by melissa047 »

This is also my topic of interest. Last week, I ordered Wusthof Ikon Blackwood 4pc 4.5" Steak Knife Set with Walnut Case on eBay
I find the Wusthof brand highly appreciated
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

old_hickory_steak-small.jpg
I got this Old Hickory carbon steel paring knife for about 9 dollars, pried off the handle, made a new handle from a scrap piece of hardwood, attached the handle with a couple of pieces of brass rod, then took it to my belt sander to shape the handle and improve the grind of the blade. I finished it on stones, et voila: a 14 dollar carbon steel custom steak knife :)

Post by propofolboy »

Buy more tender steak and you can just use a fork #wagyu
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

propofolboy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:46 pm Buy more tender steak and you can just use a fork #wagyu
Spam posting so you can sell something adds nothing to the conversation. :roll:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
propofolboy

Post by propofolboy »

This coming from a guy with 12319 posts. And everyone of those added to a conversation.
Seriously get over yourself buddy.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

propofolboy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm This coming from a guy with 12319 posts. And everyone of those added to a conversation.
Seriously get over yourself buddy.
I'm not trying to just get my post count up just to sell something like you obviously did.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I have a cheap set of like $20 kitchen knives and they came with steak knives, so I use those. Those are the only knives that come out of that block for use usually. I try to slice the steak down on a wood cutting board after it rests, so I rarely use a knife to cut on the actual plate. I hate good steel on ceramic!
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

This is a great idea! but need something fully custom. Like a small petty or mini guyto profile but it needs custom mini octagon handles that are thin and long. Someone’s got a good idea for a money maker right there. Or mini yanagiba

Or maybe just a set of Miyabi Birchwood steak knives
Attachments
96F8A884-E54C-4FC1-94D6-B77735873805.png
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Wait...did I miss something, is there some cool fork somewhere I should be looking at?

The vickies serrated 3.5 inch is great for steak knives. I have dozens of these floating around:https://www.webstaurantstore.com/victor ... 20109.html