Recent Work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Carter

Re: Recent Work

Post by Carter »

This is a project I am working on, a 210mm custom gyuto for a mate in London. He has provided drawings, with dimensions and his idea of the perfect 210mm gyuto for his tastes. We have had more than 25 emails back and forth regarding this, he has mailed me the full size drawings, and we are in the early stages of the knife development....the handle and saya discussions are yet to come, many more emails. This is one of the perks of commissioning a custom knife, and/or handle/saya...collaboration and getting what you want. These are photographs taken of the raw blade today and sent to the customer for input....this all takes time and should increase the cost of a custom knife vs one I make on spec, but it doesn't, the cost is the same.

Respectfully,

Carter
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Carter wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:44 pm This is a project I am working on, a 210mm custom gyuto for a mate in London. He has provided drawings, with dimensions and his idea of the perfect 210mm gyuto for his tastes. We have had more than 25 emails back and forth regarding this, he has mailed me the full size drawings, and we are in the early stages of the knife development....the handle and saya discussions are yet to come, many more emails. This is one of the perks of commissioning a custom knife, and/or handle/saya...collaboration and getting what you want. These are photographs taken of the raw blade today and sent to the customer for input....this all takes time and should increase the cost of a custom knife vs one I make on spec, but it doesn't, the cost is the same.

Respectfully,

Carter
It almost has a bunka feel, beautiful flat spot!
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Good looking profile. Being able to get what you want and emailing back and forth with someone like yourself is half the fun, satisfying! I hope you update us when it’s done. It’s always fun to see what another knife nut chooses when it comes handles and sayas!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Knives on the bench this week....

Carter

Post by Carter »

Here is a 185mm petty that I just finished. The blade is differentially hardened W2 at 62-63HRC. The handle is cocobolo with a ferrule and endcap of Ukrainian bog oak (3,400yr) and accents of nickel-silver and buffalo horn. The saya is also cocobolo with a nickel-silver pin.

bosco

Post by bosco »

This is beautiful!! Do you do custom handles for knives?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

bosco wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 pm This is beautiful!! Do you do custom handles for knives?
You'll have to forgive him Carter, Ryan doesn't get out much. :lol:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:34 pm
bosco wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 pm This is beautiful!! Do you do custom handles for knives?
You'll have to forgive him Carter, Ryan doesn't get out much. :lol:
I never thought about custom handles before but these are beautiful. I will assume that I asked a very obvious question.

I just meant.... do you do custom handles as well as making knives.

I really don’t get out much lol sorry...
Carter

Post by Carter »

Hi Bosco....no worries, I don't get out much either.....and thanks for the compliment. Yes, I do make handle and sayas for installation on customer's knives....in addition to making my own line of blades. I started making handles a little more than 6 years ago, and I have documented many on both the old and current CKTG Forums.

Thanks for asking,

Carter
bosco

Post by bosco »

I’d love to pick your brain and come up with some handles. I want to wait until the new year as I’m sorting out my sharpening setup currently.

I love your stuff man. It looks incredible
jason

Post by jason »

I highly recommend carter. I've enjoyed the discussion we've had in making a custom knife. Sometimes its a custom handle for a knife from cktg and recently a knife I've designed and printed on weird shaped paper to life size. It's been such an ease and his passion in making knives shows and I've learnt so much from the discussions. I'm so excited seeing the progress. The knife I've been fortunate enough to have carter help realise is labelled jason in previous posts on this thread
Carter

Post by Carter »

bosco wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:16 pm I’d love to pick your brain and come up with some handles. I want to wait until the new year as I’m sorting out my sharpening setup currently.

I love your stuff man. It looks incredible
Any time....I really enjoy working in collaboration to come up with a special handle.

For ideas, my sub-forum here has lots of photos, my section in the old CKTG Forum probably has more and lots of work in progress photos https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/car ... fd30db9fbb also, my FaceBook page.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Here is another recently completed knife, a 240mm K-tip gyuto in 52100. This knife is for a chef in the mid-west who had purchased a 150mm K-tip petty several months ago and wanted a matching larger knife. Both have boxwood elder handles and Indian ebony sayas. Unfortunately, he dropped the petty at work and broke off approximately 2mm of the tip, it was very very thin. Anyway, he sent it back for repair and I reconditioned the blade and all the wood, it is as good as new....though I did hate to take the patina off this heavily used knife.

Thanks for looking.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Great looking pair. I am sure he will love it.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Great work Carter
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys...appreciate the comments.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Milling desert ironwood for saya sides. I have some nice DI burl handle material and can make matching handles and sayas.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Picked all the remaining peppers today, we had a hard freeze last night and the plants are done. These are serrano, poblano, Santa Fe, cayenne, Anaheim, and jalapeno.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

It got down to 16 degrees here last night, pulling my onions and peppers and putting them in the cellar today.

Nice peppers Carter!!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Working on 3 sayas today, from left to right:

Black & White ebony for a 165mm nakiri....this knife is available for purchase, the steel is 52100
Desert ironwood for a 270mm suji
Ribbon sapele for a 250mm gyuto

Saya pins just off the lathe, 2 nickel-silver, 1 copper