Recent Work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Carter

Re: Recent Work

Post by Carter »

Rounding over the edges on a carbon fiber handle for the "Zombie" knife with the router table.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Working on the Yukawa mammoth ivory handles today. They will have a nickel-silver ferrule and end cap...pics show hidden nickel pins through drilled in ferrule and soldered, they will give additional stability to the epoxy bond between the nickel and ivory. The end caps will be mounted that same way.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:10 pm Working on the Yukawa mammoth ivory handles today. They will have a nickel-silver ferrule and end cap...pics show hidden nickel pins through drilled in ferrule and soldered, they will give additional stability to the epoxy bond between the nickel and ivory. The end caps will be mounted that same way.

I can’t wait see the finished handle on this, that ivory is gorgeous!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

nakneker wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:53 pm I can’t wait see the finished handle on this, that ivory is gorgeous!
Thanks Sean....this one is a challenge, the ivory for the larger knife was $300, so little room for error. Also, the coloration is very shallow, it is going to be tough to retain, but I am working at a slow pace, and only when I am in the right frame of mind....much easier to bang out Wa handles.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I didn’t even think of the color running so shallow. I like how you work when your in the right frame of mind, I’m like that when I sharpen, if I force, it things usually don’t pan out like I want.
Carter

Post by Carter »

nakneker wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am I didn’t even think of the color running so shallow. I like how you work when your in the right frame of mind, I’m like that when I sharpen, if I force, it things usually don’t pan out like I want.
Unfortunately the color is shallow in many cases....ok for certain type of knife handles or for pistols....won't really work for wa handles, this will be a modified hidden tang westernish handle.

My shop time depends on physical well being...if I'm tired or feeling bad, e.g. with a head cold, or something that compromises my acuity/awareness, I stay away from the power tools or doing layout work where I might make a mistake with measurements. For other projects, I may be feeling great, but just not in the mood to work on something out of my normal comfort zone, or I may want to work on wood and not do any knife grinding, etc.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:16 am
nakneker wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:41 am I didn’t even think of the color running so shallow. I like how you work when your in the right frame of mind, I’m like that when I sharpen, if I force, it things usually don’t pan out like I want.
Unfortunately the color is shallow in many cases....ok for certain type of knife handles or for pistols....won't really work for wa handles, this will be a modified hidden tang westernish handle.

My shop time depends on physical well being...if I'm tired or feeling bad, e.g. with a head cold, or something that compromises my acuity/awareness, I stay away from the power tools or doing layout work where I might make a mistake with measurements. For other projects, I may be feeling great, but just not in the mood to work on something out of my normal comfort zone, or I may want to work on wood and not do any knife grinding, etc.
Hidden tang western. I was talking about one of these hidden western tang handles with Steve and Andreu for an Ikeda 300 Honyaki Gyuto I have Inbound. I’ll be curious to see how this comes out. Love your work and your style, I’m glad you share it often!
Carter

Post by Carter »

nakneker wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:39 am Hidden tang western. I was talking about one of these hidden western tang handles with Steve and Andreu for an Ikeda 300 Honyaki Gyuto I have Inbound. I’ll be curious to see how this comes out. Love your work and your style, I’m glad you share it often!
First 3 shots are a wood mock-up of this current project, last 2 are a mammoth handle Yukawa I did last year.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Oh man, I love that Yukawa handle! That beautiful!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Yukawa's can be a bit of a challenge to handle....his swordmaker's dna is present in the kitchen knives. The tangs and machi are quite tall and I have had some handles that resembled a child's' tennis racket handle. I don't modify his blades or tangs, I work with what he has presented as the finished knife.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

That handle from last year is gorgeous. If these turn out half as good, they will be beautiful...
Carter

Post by Carter »

milkbaby wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:05 am That handle from last year is gorgeous. If these turn out half as good, they will be beautiful...
Thanks Milk, appreciate it buddy!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Four W2 blades just starting to take shape. They have been normalized in the kiln with temps ranging from 1600f - 1425f and are now ready for some initial grinding prior to the claying and hardening process.

delmar

Post by delmar »

Like the profile on RD. Reminds me of the Kamo R2 a bit. Of course PB is my favorite.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Here is a 210mm W2 blade that was custom designed by Carl Frederikson, Head Chef of Nostra in Reykjavík. He wanted the knife specifically for when he is on the line or doing some final prep and plating. I made 2 identical blades, in the event there was an issue with the heat treatment....the 2nd blade is available, reach out if you are interested.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Finally finished up the Zombie Killer knife with carbon from Fat Carbon Materials.

delmar

Post by delmar »

That's cool.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Wow. I can't look away. I'm guessing the dual blades are purely for aesthetics? And is that a sharp edge on the spine as well?
Carter

Post by Carter »

Drewski wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:00 pm Wow. I can't look away. I'm guessing the dual blades are purely for aesthetics? And is that a sharp edge on the spine as well?
Mainly just for looks...the spine near the tip would cut something if you swung the knife hard enough. I didn't give the edge the respect it deserves and it bit me...hurt much more than the chef knives I am used to dealing with.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Here are two W2 blades that I just roughed out. The last 200mm line knife sold quickly, so here is another one, actually it is 215mm...it can be shortened to about 200mm. The gyuto is a tall (51mm ) 235mm blade. Both are available...PM or email me if you are interested.