Recent Work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Jeff B

Re: Recent Work

Post by Jeff B »

Carter, as impressive as I think all your work is, I'm so very much in awe of all your tools and shop! ;) What I wouldn't give!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

+1
But you can keep the weather!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys....the weather is here and the shop is still not insulated, it was 33F inside the shop the other morning. I have to use a bathroom heater to heat up epoxy, and I point it at handles/sayas that have been finished in TruOil. It takes 2 days for Titebond wood glue to dry, so I usually bring clamped up sayas to the house overnight. One thing I am noticing about using the heater with the TruOil is that I may be getting a better finish....maybe because it dries quicker and there is less time to pick up dust and other airborne contaminants.

My heater setup, gloriously low tech.
Carter

Post by Carter »

This is a 270mm sujihiki that I am shipping out today. The blade is 52100 and the handle is desert ironwood burl with accents of copper and buffalo horn, the saya is desert ironwood with a copper pin.

Thanks for looking.
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

Beautiful work!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Without a doubt. Some of the most elegant looking knives around. Bravo Carter!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

The photo below is the mounting of a handle to a 255mm 52100 gyuto that I just finished. I sanded the blade to about 85% done and sharpened it, then I used it extensively for the Thanksgiving meal prep, it performed well. Today, I finished polishing the blade and with the warmer weather decided mount to blade, it has been too cold recently for epoxy to cure without running a small supplemental heater. Tomorrow, I will fit the saya and start the finishing process on it...if all goes well, this blade will ship out towards the end of the week.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Several people have asked about my photos in the shop and how I am able to edit and post them so quickly, and about the type of lighting that I use, so here is the info:

My wife is professional photographer, or was...she has not shot professionally since we moved to N. Carolina two years ago. With the business, we have more gear than most photo enthusiasts and thus I have the capability with cameras/lenses/lighting to produce quality images without too much effort. I generally produce two types of images, 1) quick snapshots of work in progress or mock-ups of handles or wood choices...these are usually shot on one of my work benches in a JPEG format...these are the most frequent types of images that I shoot 2) images of the finished knife, these are shot against a bamboo cutting board and are captured in the camera's RAW format so that I have more control of the editing process. All images are taken into Photoshop for post processing. The camera I use most in the shop is a Nikon D300 with the battery grip, lenses are Nikon 50mm, 85mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, alternate gear used is a Nikon D3 with 24-70mm, 70-200mm.

This is my workbench setup, a Quantum T4D battery operated flash powered by a Quantum Turbo 2x2 high voltage battery pack, the flash is triggered by a Quantum FreeXWire radio attached to the camera hot shoe. This flash is attached to a Chimera 2'x3' soft box, the whole rig sits on a Matthews C-Stand

This is the set up for the finished knife photos. The flash unit is an Elinchrom Digital Style 600RX, this flash head runs off 120V and puts out 600 watts at full power. It is mounted to a 60" Elinchrom Rotolux Octobox softbox...this gives a better and softer light than the smaller Quantum setup above. This rig is mounted on a wheeled Avenger stand that is counter weighted with a 15lb sand bag. It is triggered by the same Quantum radio control.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Yeah...well I have a Samsung S6, it can even make phone calls too! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:02 pm Yeah...well I have a Samsung S6, it can even make phone calls too! :D
You got me beat, I only have an S5....and I barely know how to use it...my kids make fun of me....I am the only non-Apple person in the family....and I'm holding my ground.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I want that Elnichrom set-up!
So sweet.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I want that Elnichrom set-up!
So sweet.
Carter

Post by Carter »

mauichef wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:47 pm I want that Elnichrom set-up!
So sweet.
This is what you want, the Elinchrom Ranger battery pack system at 1100W for 2 heads...they used to offer 2 flash heads in this package...you need a 2nd flash head and then better light modifiers than the included umbrellas, but this package is killer....we used ours with 1 or 2 heads for outdoor shoots and a lot of work on the beach during the day in Miami. Would work well for your photography style...you will need radios to trigger it...also the 2nd link is for a beauty dish...great light modifier.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ed_AS.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... or_27.html
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Carter wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:02 pm Yeah...well I have a Samsung S6, it can even make phone calls too! :D
You got me beat, I only have an S5....and I barely know how to use it...my kids make fun of me....I am the only non-Apple person in the family....and I'm holding my ground.
Loved the S5 (I believe phones should be openable). Had to go back to it after jumping in a hot tub with a month old S6.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Drewski wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 pm
Carter wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm
Loved the S5 (I believe phones should be openable). Had to go back to it after jumping in a hot tub with a month old S6.
Loved my last Blackberry....got pushed into a pool at a party and it died....our company was phasing the BB out....had to get the S5 reluctantly....my corp job centered on email..the BB had the best keyboard out there...still hate typing anything on these touch screens.
Carter

Post by Carter »

It was 24F when I got to the shop this morning. A shot including my knife oven reading 25F. frozen water droplets on my table saw (not sure where the water was from), and my frozen bucket of water that I cool my blades in when grinding...gonna be a fun day!

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Wow, that just looks cold Carter.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Carter

Post by Carter »

Someone has been decorating my shop! Gotta keep closer tabs on my wife.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Now Mother Nature is doing the decorating....not gonna mess with her.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 pm Now Mother Nature is doing the decorating....not gonna mess with her.

This would make for a good Christmas card. BTW, that pic with the knives in the ice is cringe worthy. I know they are fine just the thought of it.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”