Recent Work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Dkroe3

Re: Recent Work

Post by Dkroe3 »

That Hawaiian mango looks badass
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Carter, could you give the dimensions for the W2 group if it’s not too much trouble? Found a few details in earlier posts but don’t think I located some.

Beautiful knives, a privilege to see them in Chicago yesterday.
Carter

Post by Carter »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:11 pm Carter, could you give the dimensions for the W2 group if it’s not too much trouble? Found a few details in earlier posts but don’t think I located some.

Beautiful knives, a privilege to see them in Chicago yesterday.
Sending you an email with the info.
Carter

Post by Carter »

I quenched this W2 blade in ambient temperature water....cracks galore....Sharpie marks indicate the cracks....tip broke off when I dropped the blade on the floor. I did this expecting some cracking, next time I will quench the W2 in Parks 50. I measured the blade in 5 areas, the average HRC was 67.5.

delmar

Post by delmar »

Cant wait. Gonna be a gem.
Carter

Post by Carter »

delmar wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 pm Cant wait. Gonna be a gem.
Will try to do better than this for you.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Getting over that learning curve with the HRC tester you bought?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:42 am Getting over that learning curve with the HRC tester you bought?
I am getting more consistent results....the readings on this knife were all within 2 points, the low reading was probably due to testing an area to close to where the clay was placed on the blade. I also heat treated a W2 bunka at the same time and quenched in the Parks 50 oil....readings came out at 67 average and was still reading right at 66 after the first tempering session...it will go back in the kiln tomorrow for 2 more hours of tempering....would be cool if it finalizes at approx. 65HRC.
timos

Post by timos »

very nice work!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
delmar

Post by delmar »

Carter wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:32 pm
delmar wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:52 pm Cant wait. Gonna be a gem.
Will try to do better than this for you.
There is no try, there is only do - Yoda.

Seriously, good to see the R&D is in full swing. Those W2 look great, especially the darker rustic finished blades.

I love to see a craftman's willingness for relentless trial and error. When I get my hands on one of those, I know I'm in for a treat.

Carry on!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys......R&D is important, but when I heard that blade popping, I kind of wish that I had just done an oil quench, but oh well! I think I can preserve part of the blade and make a shop utility knife out of it.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Here is a Kato that I just worked on for one of our members. The handle is snakewood with an ebony ferrule and buffalo horn spacer and end cap. The saya is also snakewood, a first for me. I really liked this matching handle/saya set.

Thanks for looking.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Carter wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 pm Here is a Kato that I just worked on for one of our members. The handle is snakewood with a bog oak ferrule and buffalo horn spacer and end cap. The saya is also snakewood, a first for me. I really liked this matching handle/saya set.

Thanks for looking.
Carter I thought it was ebony ferrule, right?
Carter

Post by Carter »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:54 pm
Carter wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:26 pm Here is a Kato that I just worked on for one of our members. The handle is snakewood with a bog oak ferrule and buffalo horn spacer and end cap. The saya is also snakewood, a first for me. I really liked this matching handle/saya set.

Thanks for looking.
Carter I thought it was ebony ferrule, right?
You are correct, and I amended the post....memory lapses happens when you get older...also worked on a bog oak ferrule today....and I had already had a dram or two of scotch when I posted....so take your pick of reasons....I goofed....glad you caught it.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

@carter lol, no worries
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Thanks for looking.
Looks top shelf all the way, nicely done!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Carter wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:38 pm I quenched this W2 blade in ambient temperature water....cracks galore....Sharpie marks indicate the cracks....tip broke off when I dropped the blade on the floor. I did this expecting some cracking, next time I will quench the W2 in Parks 50. I measured the blade in 5 areas, the average HRC was 67.5.

Seeing when things don’t go as planned is kinda of refreshing, makes the journey real so to speak. Thanks for sharing.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

nakneker wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for looking.
Thanks, Carter did an awesome job! You often hear how handles look even better in person- this is no exception.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:45 am
nakneker wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks, Carter did an awesome job! You often hear how handles look even better in person- this is no exception.
Congrats cutuu. I have a western Gyuto in line at Carters place. I’m excited. Always encouraging to hear positive feedback.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks Ramon / Sean......

Ramon, your Kato was a really special build....I'm digging the snakewood saya, never made one before, it finished as smooth as glass.

Sean....getting ready for your (and Steve's) western's, they will be a nice change from what I have done recently. The testing of blades is very important...most of what I am doing with 52100, I have adapted from Ed Fowler (and to some extent the W2 heat treating, it is quite similar to 52100), anyway, I am re-reading some of Ed's books (he is the 52100 master) and I am able to pick up some new nuances in his heat treatment now that I have more experience and can relate to what he is saying...always more to learn. Many of the processes are minute, but in aggregate they produce a blade that is hopefully superior. Shortcuts can be taken and the result is still a pretty strong blade, by any measure, but knowing that there are some ways to raise the bar and not utilizing them is difficult to live with...within reason....I will do my best, but I probably won't be heat treating in an argon injected kiln to reduce scale.