Where to go next...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Coquus

Where to go next...

Post by Coquus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:57 am

Hello, I'm fairly new to the forums but have been an avid knife enthusiast for years and frequent chefknivestogo since I started cooking. My collection includes Konosuke fujiyamas, Masakage shimo, Mr. Itou, Yoshikane SKD, Takeda, Shibata R-2, Misono Ux10, Tanaka B#2, Fujiwara Marboroshi & Denka, Masamoto. Mostly all gyuto and some petties.

I have been out of the knife scene for a while and wonder what's is the next one? What's the next knife to add? What's the buzz right now? Is there a knife maker that I need to try out? Should I get a honyaki, then which one?

Thank you for any input.

AlbuquerqueDan

Re: Where to go next...

Post by AlbuquerqueDan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 am

Why not try a western maker? E.g., Tim Johnson on this forum. Western makers will make you a custom knife to your exact specs, which is a fun process to work through with them.

Post by 5698k » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 am

Look at a Toyama. I like them a lot, especially bang for the buck.

enjay

Post by enjay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am

Mazaki is competitively priced and performs well, based on both personal experience and others' feedback.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mazakiknives.html

lsboogy

Post by lsboogy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 am

AlbuquerqueDan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 am
Why not try a western maker? E.g., Tim Johnson on this forum. Western makers will make you a custom knife to your exact specs, which is a fun process to work through with them.
I'm with Albuquerque - If you already have Fujiyama knives, start looking Custom - Tim make some cools stuff.

I'm starting discussions with Carter Hopkins about making me one of his knives for my next year Christmas present - his work is stunning too

If you want a honyaki, you may be waiting depending on the maker - Korin has several makers, but a Suisin Honyaki took me two years to get there

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Mazaki or Toyama are the hot knives right now. Is there a specific characteristic or task you have in mind?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Coquus

Post by Coquus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you for the inputs, I have contemplated getting possible a custom work done. Could not decide on who though. I do follow a number of amazing smiths on instagram but generally haven't pulled that gun yet.

I will definitely look into the Mazaki and Toyama knives.

I mainly work in both a corporate kitchen(with large prep) and fine dining(exacting details) where longevity of blade edge is usually key. I generally shift from workhorse gyuto to the next at work(do my rotations, a knife is a tool first). I was curious because so many newer names of knife makers I don't know anymore, other than the ones I already have. Generally my Fujiwara, Yoshikane, and Konosuke get most of my love.

AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Coquus wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 pm

I will definitely look into the Mazaki and Toyama knives.
Mazaki is hot, and for good reason. Really great knives, especially if you like a mid-weight with a high grind (I sure do! I own three). Some might claim that mazaki is the best bang-for-your-buck maker out there right now.

Also, the toyama 270 gyuto is perhaps the best knife I own.