Show us your new handle

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jobone

Re: Show us your new handle

Post by jobone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:37 am

Drewski wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:42 am
Jeff B wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm
Finally had a handle put on my Jikko B2 Suminagashi. Handle by Joe Morrone(jobone). Spalted Maple and Gabon Ebony.
His pictures are much better than mine! --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzjVFFSHH2i/
Any guess / measurement on how the weight of the new handle compares to the old? How's it change the enkoyabiliry of the knife? I've got a 270 ks that I want to rehandle. Thinking about how I should approach that.
Jeff’s blade came without a handle, so there isn’t a way to compare. If you have the old handle, you can remove it and compare to the new, thinning or shortening to get it right. I’ve even put a couple lead pellets inside a handle for balance. One thing to consider is the weight of the epoxy or beeswax.

Here’s the balance point after install

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 am

Drewski wrote:
Jeff B wrote:
Finally had a handle put on my Jikko B2 Suminagashi. Handle by Joe Morrone(jobone). Spalted Maple and Gabon Ebony.
His pictures are much better than mine! --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BzjVFFSHH2i/
Any guess / measurement on how the weight of the new handle compares to the old? How's it change the enkoyabiliry of the knife? I've got a 270 ks that I want to rehandle. Thinking about how I should approach that.
It had no handle when I bought it. I had a discussion with Joe about where I wanted the balance point and the length of the handle, among other things, and he nailed them. Size, weight, balance are all great and when you work with a handle maker they can do just about anything you want.

And what the hell is "enkoyabiliry".... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Drewski

Post by Drewski » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 am
Drewski wrote:
Jeff B wrote:
It had no handle when I bought it. I had a discussion with Joe about where I wanted the balance point and the length of the handle, among other things, and he nailed them. Size, weight, balance are all great and when you work with a handle maker they can do just about anything you want.

Enkoyabiliry = enjoyability + n beers where n > 5

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Drewski wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 pm
Jeff B wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:33 am
Drewski wrote:

Enkoyabiliry = enjoyability + n beers where n > 5
:lol: That explains a lot.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:35 am

Not a new handle, but a "renewed" handle. Torched the magnolia handle on my Yuki, wet-sanded 500-1000-1500 grit, then buffed and finished with board wax. Turned out beautiful with Rich color and a great feel.

milkbaby

Post by milkbaby » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:04 pm

I love seeing all these cool handles made with beautiful wood and other materials...

I'm not finished with this knife, but it's my first time using curly koa wood. It wasn't a primo piece but dang the wood itself is just so chatoyant and beautiful in the light that I bet even a plain jane piece of koa would make an awesome looking handle.

Blade is wrapped up, but this pic shows what's under all that newspaper and tape.

One of the two in this pic is probably next up on my plate even though I have a couple other knives profiled out in steel already.

Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:12 pm

Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm

ImageLove this handle on my kitchen Axe

Carlo

Post by Carlo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:56 am

Ma_sha1 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:18 pm
ImageLove this handle on my kitchen Axe
Aside from that amazing handle, I have to say “Hmmm, kitchen axe, I didn’t know I needed one of those but I guess I do now.”

Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am

All my knives are Japanese now & none can touch a bone, I got a chip the other day just by staring at one of them too long 😂. This is used for the rare occasion that I need to break a bone, often to break the smoked turkey legs to fit into my small steamer.

Altadan

Post by Altadan » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:49 pm

Ma_sha1 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am
All my knives are Japanese now & none can touch a bone, I got a chip the other day just by staring at one of them too long 😂. This is used for the rare occasion that I need to break a bone, often to break the smoked turkey legs to fit into my small steamer.
Now that you say that, I think it was a turkey that drove me down this hole. About 3-4 years ago I entered into mortal combat with a cold turkey, being armed with nothing but my Zwilling 8" pollux, and guts.
I came out victorious, but I knew in my heart of hearts that the Zwilling was not the right knife for the job. I told wife, "wife! I need bigger, better, badder knife!"
Shun called my name at Williams Sonoma, and after that short affair I found myself here, buying thinner, harder, keener knives... not of which are better than the Zwilling at slashing through a dead turkey....
Your axe, however.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:53 pm

👍

delmar

Post by delmar » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Is it wrong that when I look at our VRBO rental cabinets in Costa Rica, all I can think about is how nice it would look as a handle?

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:21 pm

Yes, but you are not wrong.

pd7077

Post by pd7077 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm

A new handle maker joins the ranks, and this guy appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sean (nakneker) has been toying around in the wood shop with his son, and he made this fantastic two-piece handle for my Kikuichimonji using a killer piece of Hawaiian koa and African blackwood. Sometimes....simpler is better 😎

--- Steve

Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm
A new handle maker joins the ranks, and this guy appears to be way ahead of the learning curve. Sean (nakneker) has been toying around in the wood shop with his son, and he made this fantastic two-piece handle for my Kikuichimonji using a killer piece of Hawaiian koa and African blackwood. Sometimes....simpler is better 😎

Nice stuff!! That really compliments the blade nicely. Hard to beat a nice piece of koa

delmar

Post by delmar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:36 pm

For one of my twin daughter's bday present (16th), she wanted to us to make a custom handle for her together. I had her look at about 6 choices of 210 gyutos $110 and under, and she chose the Davoua. I ended up grabbing two blades (cant beat the price and it got me free shipping). We made two handles, she ended up taking the bigger of the two, even though it pulled the balance point back to just above the choil.

Per her request, we eased the edges on the ferrule. She didnt like the way the bevels felt. Her knife, her rules.

It is stabilized black ash burl, brass spacers, black horn and stabilized snakeskin sycamore (green dyed).

https://i.imgur.com/SxL4iE1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kurT0QH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tuo5QmC.jpg

By the way, can someone show me how to use Imgur to embed a photo and not just give the link?

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:43 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Thanks Steve and Jon, I appreciate the good words! It’s been fun, the new shop and house will be done mid September and maybe I can make more with my Son. It’s a enjoyable venture.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

nakneker

Post by nakneker » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:49 pm

milkbaby wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:04 pm
I love seeing all these cool handles made with beautiful wood and other materials...

I'm not finished with this knife, but it's my first time using curly koa wood. It wasn't a primo piece but dang the wood itself is just so chatoyant and beautiful in the light that I bet even a plain jane piece of koa would make an awesome looking handle.

Nicely done! Koa is my favorite, you did a great job!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

Danzo

Post by Danzo » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Toasted butternut on mystery eBay deba
E3877D80-7009-427E-B285-44F5891359FF.jpeg
8E55093F-907B-498C-A515-6388357E524A.jpeg