Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
nakneker

Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

Post by nakneker »

I think this ok to post, if not please delete. Field skillets is having a 30% off sale on their factory seconds, I’ve never seen them do this before and since they aren’t cheap it may be good opportunity for someone wanting to try one of their skillets. I own the set and the finish on the cooking surface is amazing for cast iron. I mentioned it in the cast iron thread but figured it may get overlooked since that thread has been running for awhile now. Fun thread by the Way!

https://fieldcompany.com/products/field ... ory-second
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
gladius

Re: Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

Post by gladius »

Are the bottom of the pans ultra smooth?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Really wish I could jump on this right now. Would love to try one of those.
RamenMonster69

Post by RamenMonster69 »

One thing I've wondered about the new more expensive cast iron skillets is how do these compare to the carbon steel french pans? I get the smoothness advantage over cheaper cast iron pans, but both develop non stick seasoning, can store a lot of heat, and have a smooth surface but you can get a decent french carbon steel skillet for a bit cheaper than this discounted price.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gladius wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:00 am Are the bottom of the pans ultra smooth?
The bottom and sides on the inside are amazingly smooth, high qaulity stuff!
Bcos17

Post by Bcos17 »

I'm interested. I've had a Lodge for years but have wondered about the super smooth looking Griswold cast irons I've seen on eBay for $100-200. Can anyone compare these new Field Skillets to the great vintage cast iron pans? Do the Field Skillets measure up? I'm also interested in Ramenmonster69's question of how they compare to Carbon steel skillets...? Can anyone help?
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Bcos17 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 pm I'm interested. I've had a Lodge for years but have wondered about the super smooth looking Griswold cast irons I've seen on eBay for $100-200. Can anyone compare these new Field Skillets to the great vintage cast iron pans? Do the Field Skillets measure up? I'm also interested in Ramenmonster69's question of how they compare to Carbon steel skillets...? Can anyone help?
Fields are as good as an old Griswold - have one of each. Highly recommend them. I rarely is them (mostly use carbon steel stuff) but when a good sear is required there is nothing like a heavy cast iron piece.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Bcos17 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:14 pm I'm interested. I've had a Lodge for years but have wondered about the super smooth looking Griswold cast irons I've seen on eBay for $100-200. Can anyone compare these new Field Skillets to the great vintage cast iron pans? Do the Field Skillets measure up? I'm also interested in Ramenmonster69's question of how they compare to Carbon steel skillets...? Can anyone help?
I have all three...

The Griswold ($market) is very smooth and light and is my favorite (they don't make 'em like they used to :) )

The Matfer ($37) carbon steel skillet is my second favorite due to its light weight and smooth cooking surfaces.

The DeBuyers ($66) are also smooth but heavier than the Matfer but lighter than the cast iron skillets and a good compromise in weight (heat holding capability).

I also have Lodge ($40) skillets which I sanded smoother using an orbital sander which greatly improved release but I did not get as smooth as my Griswold. They work well at holding heat and are the heaviest.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I wish I was home and I would take some pics of my Field skillets, I have all three, the 8, 10and the 12. The finish on these is really well done. I'll post a link to a guy I like who knows cast iron and he's fun to listen to.

https://www.youtube.comhttps://www.kitc ... beCygN_9GM

Here is pic too, bet I could find to show the finish.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

One more video comparing lodge, Field, Stargazer and Butter Pat. Shows weights, finishes and handle sizes.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCGiRsUwLQ
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Thumbs up on Fields. Very smooth and surprisingly lighter than other cast irons with the same size. I have the #8 and #10. I am very tempted to get the seconds #12.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Thanks for posting this. I picked up a #10 (only a smidge smaller than the Lodge 12" skillet) and it arrived today. I'd be hard-pressed to find a flaw. It seems very smooth on the inside and is noticeably lighter than my Lodge. Looking forward to giving it a workout.
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

Ahh I want this, but can't really justify it when I only use cast iron for searing and baking/pizzas sometimes.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gastro gnome wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 pm Thanks for posting this. I picked up a #10 (only a smidge smaller than the Lodge 12" skillet) and it arrived today. I'd be hard-pressed to find a flaw. It seems very smooth on the inside and is noticeably lighter than my Lodge. Looking forward to giving it a workout.
Score! My #8 came in and it’s the same deal, I can’t find the flaw. Super happy! It looks like the seconds sale is still on too.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

nakneker wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm
gastro gnome wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:07 pm Thanks for posting this. I picked up a #10 (only a smidge smaller than the Lodge 12" skillet) and it arrived today. I'd be hard-pressed to find a flaw. It seems very smooth on the inside and is noticeably lighter than my Lodge. Looking forward to giving it a workout.
Score! My #8 came in and it’s the same deal, I can’t find the flaw. Super happy! It looks like the seconds sale is still on too.
The #8's appear to be sold out. The sale for the #10 and the #12 is still going.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've got 40-year old Lodges, in 10 and 12-inch. Also a new Matfer 12-inch.

Tempted to get a #10, but I am not sure what the big benefit would be. Wonder if I should just sand down my Lodge like Kent Rollins did.
Jeffry B
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I haven't cooked in the pan yet. Just put a couple extra coats of seasoning on last night. So I can't really say if it is markedly better or not. I do have a smaller, vintage Wagner pan and I have a hard time believing the Field will best it, but I don't have a vintage pan in this size so its real competition is the similarly sized 12" Lodge.

I didn't need this pan. I have a pretty extensive collection of cast iron and carbon steel from 8.5"-12". I was just curious to check it the new breed.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

gastro gnome wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 am I haven't cooked in the pan yet. Just put a couple extra coats of seasoning on last night. So I can't really say if it is markedly better or not. I do have a smaller, vintage Wagner pan and I have a hard time believing the Field will best it, but I don't have a vintage pan in this size so its real competition is the similarly sized 12" Lodge.

I didn't need this pan. I have a pretty extensive collection of cast iron and carbon steel from 8.5"-12". I was just curious to check it the new breed.
I gave a friend who sanded his lodge and also bought the field #12. He’s a perfectionist so maybe he went a little overboard on the lodge but he thought the Field was well worth the extra money. I know I sound like I work for field or something but I enjoy them that much, I have a Matfer too that I like.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I wonder whether a 40-year-old Lodge noticeably different than the ones you can buy today. It probably depends on when they changed the manufacturing process.

None of this is to diss Lodge. They make a good product at a remarkably affordable price for a domestic manufacturer. Their pans are usable off the shelf and improve with time and care. But, like many folks here, I'm interested in trying out similar products to see if it is a noticeable step-up. I think my carbon steel has been an improvement over the Lodge, but I don't have any straight-sided carbon steel pan with the same cooking surface area as my 12" Lodge. So now the #10 Field may be able to fill this largest size and still provide a super smooth cooking surface.

Vintage, well-maintained cast iron still is probably lighter and very likely is already extremely well-seasoned - if you can find them. But the one my fiend gifted me has a slightly warped bottom and from what I understand, this isn't uncommon. Could have been mistreated in the past, but hasn't hugely affected my cooking in it thus far. I have to imagine the thinner-walled older pans (which is why they are lighter) might be more prone to warping if a ripping hot pan was shoved into cold water (or some other temperature shock). I plan to take good care of the Field.
-btm-

Post by -btm- »

@Gastro Gnome
Yes, the older vintage lodge pans are significantly better than any newer production stuff. They made pans for many many years without a lodge logo on the bottom. Most of the older pans have a raised "heat ring" with three notches cut out and the size number. The older pans were finished smooth on the inside and cook nicely. They have always been significantly heavier than some of the other vintage pans. The closest in weight would probably be BSR. Older Griswold is really light and thin compared to anything you see in production now (even lighter and thinner than most modern carbon steel pans).

Your question about warping and/or concave and convex bottoms... When people started using their old cast iron pans on electric stoves many of those pans got ruined. This is especially true when they were used on coil electric stoves. If you do a quick google search you will find some articles on the science behind it. I actually have one Griswold pan that has slightly raised lines in the bottom that perfectly match an electric coil.

Most older cast iron is well worth picking up and re-seasoning if you can get something that has a flat bottom and no serious pitting for $10-20. For me less $ is a bonus, more $ and it needs to be something really special. I have stacks of Wagner, Griswold, BSR, vintage Lodge, etc. that I've picked up for an average of $15 and as little as $3 or $4.