Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
-btm-

Re: Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

Post by -btm- »

Even better is vintage copper if you can find it... I just had these two beauties retinned. The splayed pan dates from sometime around the 1880's and the Saute is c 1900. Just keep an eye out for any copper that looks legit (chunky cast iron handles, copper rivets, thick copper, etc.). Even if it looks pretty busted it can usually be saved and for FAR less than modern production pans. Rivets can be replaced. Dents can be hammered out. I found an old piece a few months ago for $3. Retinned and cleaned up it sold for $230. Tinning runs about $40-$60 for average sized pans and is well worth the effort.
T1903 Duparquet_10.25saute.JPG
saute w splay.JPG
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I ordered the Field No. 10. There are times when I have company that two 12-inch cast iron pans come in handy.

Heck, I barely use my All-Clad saute pans anymore unless lots of acid is involved. I mostly use my cast iron and new Mafter carbon pan. Better sear on proteins and chars on vegetables.

Be curious to see how much smoother the Field is than my 10- and 12-inch Lodges. Over the years I've scrubbed down my Lodges from time to time with a metal mesh pad I use for woks, then reseasoned. My Lodges are noticeably smoother than my 6- and 8-inch Lodges that don't get used much. I doubt either is as smooth as the Field based on what I can see.
Jeffry B
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:10 pm After a lot of hemming and hawing, I ordered the Field No. 10. There are times when I have company that two 12-inch cast iron pans come in handy.

Heck, I barely use my All-Clad saute pans anymore unless lots of acid is involved. I mostly use my cast iron and new Mafter carbon pan. Better sear on proteins and chars on vegetables.

Be curious to see how much smoother the Field is than my 10- and 12-inch Lodges. Over the years I've scrubbed down my Lodges from time to time with a metal mesh pad I use for woks, then reseasoned. My Lodges are noticeably smoother than my 6- and 8-inch Lodges that don't get used much. I doubt either is as smooth as the Field based on what I can see.
I hope you share your thoughts with us, good or bad?
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Jeffry, I'd have a hard time imagining that the scrubbed-down Lodges are smoother than the Field - unless you used a power tool like was mentioned upthread. I am happy to be proven wrong and I do look forward to hearing your thoughts.

My 10 or so years-old Lodge is likely smoother than an off the shelf pan, but I haven't handled one of those in a while. Field is noticeably smoother still.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

gastro gnome wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:57 pm Jeffry, I'd have a hard time imagining that the scrubbed-down Lodges are smoother than the Field - unless you used a power tool like was mentioned upthread. I am happy to be proven wrong and I do look forward to hearing your thoughts.

My 10 or so years-old Lodge is likely smoother than an off the shelf pan, but I haven't handled one of those in a while. Field is noticeably smoother still.
I am sure you are right, Mike. I was a little bit surprised, though, by how smooth my larger cast iron pans have become. 30-plus years of use will do that. They have seen a lot of use. One year my 12-inch got all rusted. I threw in the fireplace and cleaned it the next day. Good as new!
Jeffry B
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

You all sold me. Man, you're expensive friends to have! 10's we're still in stock.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

dang this is tempting but, I'm not sure what I would use it for? I have a range of All Clad both Stainless and Non-Stick. I do have a small 8" cast iron for cooking fish (it's only my wife and I). What would I cook in the #10 that I can't cook in the others?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

jacko9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 pm dang this is tempting but, I'm not sure what I would use it for? I have a range of All Clad both Stainless and Non-Stick. I do have a small 8" cast iron for cooking fish (it's only my wife and I). What would I cook in the #10 that I can't cook in the others?
A nice big porterhouse?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 pm
jacko9 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 pm dang this is tempting but, I'm not sure what I would use it for? I have a range of All Clad both Stainless and Non-Stick. I do have a small 8" cast iron for cooking fish (it's only my wife and I). What would I cook in the #10 that I can't cook in the others?
A nice big porterhouse?
That's what the grill is for.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:25 pm
A nice big porterhouse?
We do a lot of our cooking outdoors on the grill or in the smoker (all year). Don't get me wrong I want a new cast iron pan I'm just trying to justify it to myself before I pitch it to the wife ;-)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

A nice big porterhouse?
I've got topline charcoal and gas grills, Jeff, but neither cooks a better steak than my cast-iron pan. Wood fire at least adds smokey flavor to compensate.

Jacko, I use my cast iron to cook most vegetables nowadays. Onions especially. Much easier to clean than my All-Clad.

What else? Spanish tortilla, cornbread, pan pizza, homemade flat bread, roesti (large potato cakes). But you don't need a Field for that. A Lodge will do. The 10 is probably overkill for you.
Jeffry B
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:23 pm

A nice big porterhouse?
I've got topline charcoal and gas grills, Jeff, but neither cooks a better steak than my cast-iron pan. Wood fire at least adds smokey flavor to compensate.

Jacko, I use my cast iron to cook most vegetables nowadays. Onions especially. Much easier to clean than my All-Clad.

What else? Spanish tortilla, cornbread, pan pizza, homemade flat bread, roesti (large potato cakes). But you don't need a Field for that. A Lodge will do. The 10 is probably overkill for you.
Thanks for the ideas Jeff - yes the 10 might be overkill and I should have jumped on the 8 while they were in stock. I agree with you on steaks but since I never have good luck cooking steaks and also since we're getting up there in our 70's we just don't eat that much steak anymore.

Heck, I might just get it anyway!

Jack
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

In case anyone is interested in another for-sure use of cast iron skillets: dolsot bibbimbop. I don't own a stone bowl, but a decent-sized cast iron makes a pretty good substitute (and I can clear room and fry my eggs at the end as well).
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Got my Field yesterday. Seasoned the pan per the company's instructions using grapeseed oil. Figured I'd do the same with my 12-inch Lodge cast iron and my new Matfer carbon.

The Field is indeed smoother. Being a second it does have a small visual blemish inside the pan, but I can't actually feel an indent. So all good.

Field

Lodge

Both

Jeffry B
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Nice comparison - that Field looks really smooth for cast iron! I waited too long to pull the trigger but, I went to their web site and got on a waiting list.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Probably the thing I like most is how much lighter and easily to handle it is. My Lodge weighs 7.5 lbs. the Field about 5 lbs.
Jeffry B
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

This thread is making me think about a steak. Have not had one for months, and we just got several inches of snow, and it's gonna be below zero for a couple days. Might have to make the house smell like steak tomorrow.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:54 pm Probably the thing I like most is how much lighter and easily to handle it is. My Lodge weighs 7.5 lbs. the Field about 5 lbs.
Nice post, those pics are great! My #8 showed up today. I can’t find the flaw.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Nice side by side Jeffry! My number 10 was supposed to arrive today, but.... Minnesota. Snow delays.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Jeffry, our Lodge's look very similar. Actually, I could probably do a pretty dead-on side-by-side.

The worn in Lodge is fairly smooth, but the pictures can't hide that there is texture there. The smoothness of the Field is as evident when you touch as it is in your photos. I cooked with it for the first time the other night. It tugged a bit with skin-on salmon, but generally performed well. There will be a break-in period. I think I'm making cornbread this weekend as part of a Cajun/Creole meal and that has the Field written all over it.