Shibata Type 3 AS and Kashima Question

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
chunter1001

Shibata Type 3 AS and Kashima Question

Post by chunter1001 »

I've got my eye on both the Shibata Type 3 AS and Kashima gyutos. Question for those who have used them: do they have the same blade profile? I cannot really tell from photos, but the Kashima looks a lot like the KS. The Type 3 AS seems to have more curve to it. Thanks!
MisoSatisfried

Re: Shibata Type 3 AS and Kashima Question

Post by MisoSatisfried »

You're correct Sir!

I'm curious if they're both still being produced? Maybe Mark can shed some light on that one.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yup, your right. The kashima is a KS inspired knife, extremely similiar profile. I actually was going to sell mine a while back. I surprisingly didn't receive any offers. Its been buried in the classys for a couple of months. Fortunately, I don't need to sell it anymore, so I'm going to keep it. Awesome knife if you can grab one, when they come back in stock (as long as your not a laser hater). I've heard pretty much the same feedback on the other style shibata that are referring to also.
chunter1001

Post by chunter1001 »

Thanks for the info!
delmar

Post by delmar »

Ive owned a kashima, kotetsu R2 and kotetsu AS. Still own the last 2. The kotetsu R2 is peculiar because of the k-tip and the flatish profile. Not a rocker (or you better be uber-careful with that thin and exposed tip). The kashima is a KS-esque profile, and the kotetsu AS a bit more curve.

Out of all of them, the AS is my favorite. I'm hard pressed to think of a better all-around cutter. All are thin throughout and fly through product.

If you are interested in the kotetsu R2, i've got a 240mm with custom handle that I'd be willing to let go.
stalliondawg444

Post by stalliondawg444 »

delmar wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm Ive owned a kashima, kotetsu R2 and kotetsu AS. Still own the last 2. The kotetsu R2 is peculiar because of the k-tip and the flatish profile. Not a rocker (or you better be uber-careful with that thin and exposed tip). The kashima is a KS-esque profile, and the kotetsu AS a bit more curve.

Out of all of them, the AS is my favorite. I'm hard pressed to think of a better all-around cutter. All are thin throughout and fly through product.

If you are interested in the kotetsu R2, i've got a 240mm with custom handle that I'd be willing to let go.
Sorry to revive this...but any chance that R2 is available for sale still? 😄
delmar

Post by delmar »

Long gone