New arrivals section - my thoughts

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
PaulME

New arrivals section - my thoughts

Post by PaulME »

So I used to check new arrivals every day, to me that section is no longer as compelling.
The reason (for me) is it is inundated with customs. Quick about 4 of the first 28 listings are not custom. So it used to be really compelling to see what may have come in and an actual new knife, now it is a section on handles. Maybe it could be split between new arrivals and custom?? Or if we could search and remove custom....
I still check the section every few days but the challenge is finding what is really new vs what has had a new handle put on it.

Maybe everyone else loves it, but personally I love checking out what smiths have to offer and what steels and profiles are available, but I’m really not interested in custom handles.

Interested in what others think of the trend.
Paul
Quantim0

Re: New arrivals section - my thoughts

Post by Quantim0 »

I agree, the bright custom handles are not my style and I don't care what knife they are on, I'd never buy one. At this point I still check every day but generally feel inundated with "old knife, crayola handle".
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

I like how theres always “one left!”. Cheasy ...ive never been a fan of throwing a ridiculously colored chunk of wood on a blade, and calling it “custom”... who is it “custom” for?... who would want that?
Jaxson

Post by Jaxson »

Finally some one said it. I thought it was just me. It may be a good money maker but I for one am not going to pay an extra $100.00 for a knife. I can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes int the handle. Its doesn't make the knife perform any better. I have purchased over 20 knives, all from CKTG, over the last few years. All what I consider high quality steels such as HAP 40, AS, etc. If I do purchase another knife it would have to have a very special handle. As a home cook, at 77 years old, I am very content to use what I have. I agree with Rufus's comment about "only one left". It is because it was the only one made! Paul has a great suggestion to put them in a separate category. You can do better Mark. Ray
datster

Post by datster »

It does seem like you have to dig a lot more to find what is truly new and not just modified.

On the subject of custom handles, I liked it better when you could pick the one you wanted. A good example are the three Kohetsu HAP40 Togattas that are in the section. I saw the one on FB with the brown handle, loved it, shared it with a few others, they loved it too. That one went almost immediately but I see days later the blue and green handles are still there. Sure, somebody will buy them, but if you could choose handles I think they would go a lot faster.

On the bright side, Mark said those particular knives will be offered with a standard walnut handle soon, I'm guessing those will sell fast.
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

I sort of agree - maybe a separate section for customs. I'd probably still click on it.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Given the number of these 'customs' I also agree they should be in a separate sub-section, especially if attached to a readily available bog-standard blade.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I love the custom handles - have a set (210, 240, 270) out for new handles right now. Green burl with some lovely spacers from Ben (Bensbites). I think many of us go for bling at times, but I understand the practical end as well - why I have so many kohetsu blades. We all have different reasons for our knives - a pro kitchen knife is very different than a home chef who wants bling - and we all get what we lust after here
dmonterisi

Post by dmonterisi »

Like everything else, to each their own. Some of the custom handles are my thing, some are not. A few months ago, i looked at my block and realized I had almost all rosewood handle/black ferrules (either horn or pakka wood). I've made an effort to get some variety but my custom handle preference goes in a different direction from turquoise dyed maple burl. but some obviously like it, as it sells. As far as separating customs, there is a separate custom section already. New arrivals is just a script that catches all the latest additions to for sale inventory and places them in one place, I don't Mark is sitting there choosing which knives are "new arrivals." He is also not manually putting "One Left!". that's a feature of his webstore that automatically displays "In-Stock", "One Left", or "Out of stock" depending on what's there. He doesn't want the world to know his exact inventory, which is understandable, so the One Left indication has made me pull the trigger on a couple of occasions so i'm glad its there.

edit: here is the custom section:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/customknives.html

and here is a section just for bog oak customs:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/bogoakcustoms.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think it's all pretty much been said and I too agree and have been thinking it for a long time.

Not knocking those knives at all, many do to like them and they must sell or Mark wouldn't take the time to offer them. I also applaud Mark for trying to offer his customers what he thinks they want with the wider choice of knives with the custom handles.

I too think there does need to be a "Custom Handled" section of it's own and not every rehandled knife put in the New Arrivals.
Last edited by Jeff B on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Maybe we can add a filter button for those who do not like to see ALL new arrivals, but that would not be a perfect solution either as it would filter out every knife that was tagged. So if a personal unicorn shows up but has a custom handle you are screwed. I am not a custom buyer but i would hate to miss a unicorn because of some knives that do not interest me.
I can appreciate the issue but these custom knives fly off the shelf and it is hard to mess with success.
As for it being a challenge. They do all say Custom in the title so all it takes is a bit more scrolling.
There can be a small price to pay when one is offered such a huge ever changing selection. I for one am happy to pay that price.
Certainly is food for thought.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I did just notice too that under "Resources" there is a "Custom Knives" section with all the rehandled knives. Also a quick link on the home page.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:38 am I too think there does need to be a "Custom Handled" section of it's own and not every rehandled knife put in the New Arrivals.
+1 from me too. I have a couple of custom handled knives (with muted colours 8-) ) and like them so it's not that I'm against them. What ever spins your wheels when it comes to this stuff is my thinking, but it's become such a large group that maybe it deserves it's own section within the New Arrivals listings.

Just my 2¢ worth!!
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Very rarely do I pursue a custom handle.

I got the shiro kamo r2 with bog oak.. man do not regret that one at ALL.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:05 pm Very rarely do I pursue a custom handle.

I got the shiro kamo r2 with bog oak.. man do not regret that one at ALL.
I'm waiting patiently to put one on my TF Nashiji gyuto
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Nick,

Nice. Yep have to say I like the bog oak look. My two custom handled knives are my Kono Swedish with a walnut handle & mahogany ferrule (maybe not that customised :lol: ) and my Sukenari ZDP189 with earthy toning of green, brown, blue, purple. Looks way better than I've described it 8-) 8-)
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

We all need to be cognizant of each other's preferences. I like bling for home kitchen use (have a dozen or so custom handled knives), and am getting the kohetsu set done for working in a pro environment. The blades are plain Jane, but are great cutters - having handles I helped design installed makes them "mine", and I will probably use them in my soup kitchen (retirement plan) for the rest of my life. Bling is not a big thing in a pro environment - go rather than show - but some of us like to have the best of both worlds. I think mark is trying to please his home cook customers, you chefs have your blades and will probably be jumping on the Kono and Shig blades as they become available. I think the custom handles are a great thing - as the next gen (neices and nephew) get more into cooking, they will get blades with custom handles from their eccentric uncle - and my Carter Hopkins knives will stay here until my daughter is ready for them.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

As was pointed out there apparently is a custom section. Would not seem to be much of a stretch to filter that category out, or allow us to filter it out.

Completely understand that some like the colors etc, what I find surprising is the number of already installed versions. If I were to want a custom handle I would want to pick the version I wanted with the blade, a custom section that showed handles and what the upcharge is makes more sense (to me). But as others have also said Mark would not be doing it if they were not selling.

Paul
jobone

Post by jobone »

The new arrivals sections is probably auto populated whenever an item is added.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I’m not a fan of the bright colors on a handle. I bought a Konosuke with a custom handle (khii ebony) that is gorgeous. Would not want to miss out on one of those.