Show us your knife collection.

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kalaeb

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Kalaeb »

I did ship the knives to him. Chris has been around for along time so he knows how to treat knives. Honestly, I am not sure when I shipped them so I don't know exact TAT, but it was pretty quick. Communication was top notch.
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm Not any new knives, but some sweet new sayas from Chris Miller of Chop Shop Knife Works: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChopShopKnifeWorks

Knives are a Masamoto and a Predergast suji.
Chris does some great work.
His turnaround time isn't too bad. Great guy to work with
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I finally got around to taking pics. My collection is always in a state of flux, but I’ve whittled things down quite a bit over the past few months. There are a few that are not present because they are off getting new handles, and a couple of these are going to be up for sale soon to make room for a few incoming pieces...but this is what I’ve got for now.

Left:
Hiromune Takaba Tamahagane 270
Tsukasa Hinoura 270 Unryumon
Tanaka Ironwood 270
Toyama Noborikoi 270 Honyaki
Shigefusa 270 Kasumi
Konosuke Fujiyama #6 Cleaver

Right:
Mizuno W#2 KS-profile Honyaki
Kanechika/Keiichi W#1 270
Shigefusa (Kiya) 165 Nakiri
Kiyoshi Kato 240WH
Marko Tsourkan 52100 225
Watanabe Kintaro Ame W#2 Cleaver

Center: Mitsubishi Hinoura AS 180

--- Steve
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Very nice Steve! Been waiting for this one
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Helluva a nice bunch of blades Steve! Bout damn time 😁

As usual, nice pics too!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

nakneker wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 am Helluva a nice bunch of blades Steve! Bout damn time 😁

As usual, nice pics too!
+1 all around
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Wow Steve. That is one hell of a collection. Stunning blades and handles!
Particularly like the Kono cleaver handle. And that Hiromune is a sexy beast!
Basically there is nothing missing from this well curated line up. Every one is drool worthy.
VERY NICE!!!!!!
Thin Man

Post by Thin Man »

Very nice collection, Steve.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Haha...Thanks guys. The collection is an ever-changing work in progress, but it’s slowly rounding into shape. I set some pretty strict rules for myself in 2019, and I’ve done a pretty good job of sticking to it. Part of that resolution meant letting go of a lot of knives, but the search for a few more keepers continues.
--- Steve
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

pd7077 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:55 pm Haha...Thanks guys. The collection is an ever-changing work in progress, but it’s slowly rounding into shape. I set some pretty strict rules for myself in 2019, and I’ve done a pretty good job of sticking to it. Part of that resolution meant letting go of a lot of knives, but the search for a few more keepers continues.
I'm just about to embark on that journey Steve. Why do I think it might be a rough road ;)
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

mauichef wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:01 pm
pd7077 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 4:55 pm Haha...Thanks guys. The collection is an ever-changing work in progress, but it’s slowly rounding into shape. I set some pretty strict rules for myself in 2019, and I’ve done a pretty good job of sticking to it. Part of that resolution meant letting go of a lot of knives, but the search for a few more keepers continues.
I'm just about to embark on that journey Steve. Why do I think it might be a rough road ;)
Do you mean you’re about to start enforcing strict rules or you’re going to start unloading a bunch of stuff? Hoping for #2! ;)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm
Do you mean you’re about to start enforcing strict rules or you’re going to start unloading a bunch of stuff? Hoping for #2! ;)
Probably #2....but I cannot guarantee that :?
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I don’t know if you will like rule #1 though. It was the toughest one for me to get on board with, but I eventually followed through.

Rule #1: No more than one knife from any given blacksmith/sharpener combo.

That meant that I had to choose my favorite one and unload the rest. While it did hurt to do that, I did get a lot of satisfaction from the joy that the buyers expressed when I sold them the knives. So in the end, it was a win-win situation.....and it also reduced the odds that I would be sleeping on the couch anytime soon 😂
--- Steve
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

OUCH.......rule #1 SUCKS :cry:
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Some crazy nice blades Steve and I agree, Rule #1 Sucks!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Those are all phenomenal knives. That Ironwood Tanaka is beautiful. Have you etched yours at all?
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

pd7077 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:32 am I finally got around to taking pics. My collection is always in a state of flux, but I’ve whittled things down quite a bit over the past few months. There are a few that are not present because they are off getting new handles, and a couple of these are going to be up for sale soon to make room for a few incoming pieces...but this is what I’ve got for now.

Left:
Hiromune Takaba Tamahagane 270
Tsukasa Hinoura 270 Unryumon
Tanaka Ironwood 270
Toyama Noborikoi 270 Honyaki
Shigefusa 270 Kasumi
Konosuke Fujiyama #6 Cleaver

Right:
Mizuno W#2 KS-profile Honyaki
Kanechika/Keiichi W#1 270
Shigefusa (Kiya) 165 Nakiri
Kiyoshi Kato 240WH
Marko Tsourkan 52100 225
Watanabe Kintaro Ame W#2 Cleaver

Center: Mitsubishi Hinoura AS 180
It's about time, dude! Amazing collection and stellar photos!
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 pm Those are all phenomenal knives. That Ironwood Tanaka is beautiful. Have you etched yours at all?
I haven’t etched mine. I did compare mine next to a couple of older Tanaka Ironwoods that were done by Kazuyuki, and the difference in the finish was noticeable (as was the grind). The Kazuyuki had a much more vibrant finish, and I think I know how to get a similar look...but at the end of the day, I’m super happy with how mine looks so I probably won’t do anything to it anytime soon.
--- Steve
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

pd7077 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:46 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:29 pm Those are all phenomenal knives. That Ironwood Tanaka is beautiful. Have you etched yours at all?
I haven’t etched mine. I did compare mine next to a couple of older Tanaka Ironwoods that were done by Kazuyuki, and the difference in the finish was noticeable (as was the grind). The Kazuyuki had a much more vibrant finish, and I think I know how to get a similar look...but at the end of the day, I’m super happy with how mine looks so I probably won’t do anything to it anytime soon.
I think the grinds on Shikegi's knives are definitely thinner behind the edge. I personally like the finish on my Tanaka as much as earlier ones.
Luke_G

Post by Luke_G »

pd7077 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:21 pm That meant that I had to choose my favorite one and unload the rest. While it did hurt to do that, I did get a lot of satisfaction from the joy that the buyers expressed when I sold them the knives. So in the end, it was a win-win situation.....and it also reduced the odds that I would be sleeping on the couch anytime soon 😂
As one of the lucky buyers, I can say that your Takaba is still giving me a constant joy, whenever I am looking at it :)