Show us your knives!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Marc4pt0
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Marc4pt0 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Bahahaha! True that

User avatar
Rawgg
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Rawgg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 am

Marc4pt0 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 pm
Bahahaha! True that
He's great, I love his handle.

User avatar
Rawgg
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Rawgg » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 am

Jeff B wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 pm
Marc4pt0 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:31 pm
Rawgg wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 pm


https://www.instagram.com/jcc_cutlery/

I was one of his early testing subject lol. Great workmanship for his age.
Just looked him up. I wish I hadn't, because now i want to give this kid money. 16yo?? This guy has some talent for sure
I was thinking the same thing! Going to have to support a young talent now.
I was thinking the same thing, at the time I was having couple knife projects with other makers and I was like what the hell, might as well support the kid so he can have some knives in his portfolio. He sure did impressed me.

User avatar
ken123
Posts: 4594
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Wide and narrow convex grinds on Bark River knives

Post by ken123 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Wide and narrow convex grinds on Bark River knives

As many of you know I AM a fan of Bark River knives and impressed with the initial factory grinds on their knives. But I also like to experiment a bit. I reground this knife (Aurora 3v LT) with a much more acute and wider angle - still convex. I'm not particularly hard on my knives BUT I do want them extremely sharp. These are initial grinds and will be made much sharper :)\

So my question is - is this too acute of an edge angle for your use? It obviously drops through food etc, but it is not an edge I would use for bushcraft tasks. I'm interested in your thoughts on alternative grinds. Thanks for lookingI
aurora3vwidebevel1.jpg
aurora3vwidebevel2.jpg
---
Ken

polytope
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by polytope » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm

First post! In chronological order from right to left:
IMG_20190420_175736.jpg
  • ~1992: My first knife purchase ever was this Martin Yan branded Chinese chef's knife, purchased when he visited my school. It has "Japan" inscribed on the blade, but I think it was actually made by Messermeister. Doesn't take a great edge, but it's very tough. It's been through a lot of board scraping and garlic smashing. I didn't use anything else until...
  • 2006: Hattori HD-1 petty, purchased from CKTG! (You could say I've been lurking for 13 years). My first foray into Japanese knives.
  • 2009: Hattori HD santoku and 210 gyuto from JCK; I was going to sell whichever I liked less (the gyuto), but ended up keeping both.
  • 2018: Elephant 4-Star Nogent Sabatier, NOS. My first reactive knife; I was also curious about the old French-style profiles. The edge came with a smile and needed some work to be useful. Ended up not being my thing, but I keep it for the history.
  • 2019: FM 210. First wa, first paper steel knife. I was surprised how much more reactive it was than the Sabatier. I like this one, except for the handle. I expect soon I'll be asking some questions about how to source and order custom handles.
  • 2019: Takeda NAS. I love this one. Such great food release! The bog oak handle was pretty uncomfortable at first; lots of small and very sharp crevices.

Marc4pt0
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Marc4pt0 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Andy Billipp:
Attachments
IMG_20190427_062208_642.jpg

Cutuu
Posts: 3239
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Cutuu » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:06 pm

polytope wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:58 pm
First post! In chronological order from right to left:

IMG_20190420_175736.jpg
  • ~1992: My first knife purchase ever was this Martin Yan branded Chinese chef's knife, purchased when he visited my school. It has "Japan" inscribed on the blade, but I think it was actually made by Messermeister. Doesn't take a great edge, but it's very tough. It's been through a lot of board scraping and garlic smashing. I didn't use anything else until...
  • 2006: Hattori HD-1 petty, purchased from CKTG! (You could say I've been lurking for 13 years). My first foray into Japanese knives.
  • 2009: Hattori HD santoku and 210 gyuto from JCK; I was going to sell whichever I liked less (the gyuto), but ended up keeping both.
  • 2018: Elephant 4-Star Nogent Sabatier, NOS. My first reactive knife; I was also curious about the old French-style profiles. The edge came with a smile and needed some work to be useful. Ended up not being my thing, but I keep it for the history.
  • 2019: FM 210. First wa, first paper steel knife. I was surprised how much more reactive it was than the Sabatier. I like this one, except for the handle. I expect soon I'll be asking some questions about how to source and order custom handles.
  • 2019: Takeda NAS. I love this one. Such great food release! The bog oak handle was pretty uncomfortable at first; lots of small and very sharp crevices.
I love the background story! Those takeda nakiris are awesome. The stock handles are takedas are nice.

Kevin
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Kevin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Small roll
Attachments
8F4BD0B2-A158-4007-8EAA-DC46C53D47BB.jpeg
C0954ABC-1A59-4A6B-ACD2-A2F095050A86.jpeg

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11786
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Jeff B » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Small roll
Obviously don't like Konos. :D

Very Nice!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by slobound » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Small roll
Beautiful
-- Garrick

Kevin
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:13 am

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Kevin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:46 pm
Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Small roll
Obviously don't like Konos. :D

Very Nice!
Kono kniferoll too haha

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2975
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by mauichef » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Small roll
That's so classy Kevin!

nakneker
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by nakneker » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm

Kevin wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Small roll
Love it! Beautiful!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

User avatar
Rawgg
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Rawgg » Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 pm

My first and only carbon knife, someone please pull me out of this rabbit hole.
Image

User avatar
mauichef
Posts: 2975
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:10 pm
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Contact:

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by mauichef » Thu May 02, 2019 3:44 am

Marc4pt0 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Andy Billipp:
Very yummy 😋

nakneker
Posts: 1997
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:37 am
Location: Taylor, Az

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by nakneker » Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 am

Rawgg wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 pm
My first and only carbon knife, someone please pull me out of this rabbit hole.
Image
Your doomed, sorry to say 😃
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

User avatar
ashy2classy
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by ashy2classy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 am

nakneker wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:09 am
Rawgg wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:17 pm
My first and only carbon knife, someone please pull me out of this rabbit hole.
Your doomed, sorry to say 😃
Sean's right...nice knowin' ya. :lol:

Have fun with the TF!

User avatar
ashy2classy
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:47 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by ashy2classy » Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 am

Marc4pt0 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 pm
Andy Billipp:
Now you're just showing off! :D

Kalaeb
Posts: 2588
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Kalaeb » Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm

Not any new knives, but some sweet new sayas from Chris Miller of Chop Shop Knife Works: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChopShopKnifeWorks

Image

Knives are a Masamoto and a Predergast suji.

User avatar
Rawgg
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Rawgg » Sat May 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Kalaeb wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:07 pm
Not any new knives, but some sweet new sayas from Chris Miller of Chop Shop Knife Works: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChopShopKnifeWorks

Image

Knives are a Masamoto and a Predergast suji.
I look him up the other day, do you shipped the knives to him and what is the turn around time?

Post Reply