Hattori HD

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
rk592934

Hattori HD

Post by rk592934 »

Feeling a bit nostalgic today and I began to remember the first real Japanese chef knife I ever bought. A Hattori HD 240mm gyuto. From what I know they where made by a company and sold under a few different names. Seeing as how Hattori knives are hard to find could someone direct me to the original maker so I could possibly find the same knife with one of these alternative names on it?

Kalaeb

Re: Hattori HD

Post by Kalaeb »

Albeit not the HD, the FH is still available at JCK. They also used to have a good supply to the HDs. Maybe shoot Koki an email and see what he has... sometimes he has some things hidden away or not listed.

rk592934

Post by rk592934 »

Any opinions on the Hattori FH?

ken123

Post by ken123 »

The forum knife was made during the time Foodie forums was operating and sold through Koki. It was vg10 based I believe ( maybe vg1). A followup version in Cowry x was proposed but never made.

Contact Koki. FWIW, Koki is a male :)
----
Ken

smcmaui

Post by smcmaui »

The Hattori FH is actually a really great knife, cuts well, holds a very good edge, and the blade profile to me is great. Some folks are not keen on VG10 but its a great stainless steel and for some reason the one on the FH is exceptional.

AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

rk592934 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 am
I own a Hattori FH honesuke and really like it. It's one of my most used knives because of the amount of chicken we eat. Comfortable handle. Steel gets nice and sharp without too much hassle.

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

rk592934 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:18 am
I think they are perfectly fine knives. VG-10 gets some flack around here for being pedestrian, but when it all shakes out, the steel is pretty good. The handles are comfortable, albeit some have some shrinkage issues you may have to remedy with some sandpaper (many western handles made with natural products will have the same issue).

There is nothing spectacular about them..they are a good middle of the road knife.

rk592934

Post by rk592934 »

I remember ogling them heavily when they first came out. Many years ago because it seemed like a natural upgrade to the HD. I know there’s better out there but I’ve always had a soft spot for them because of Hattori being my first.

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

rk592934 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:15 am
I remember ogling them heavily when they first came out. Many years ago because it seemed like a natural upgrade to the HD. I know there’s better out there but I’ve always had a soft spot for them because of Hattori being my first.
I hear you. The Kanji is screen printed on these, but, IMO, looks spectacular. When I bought mine they also came in a exhibition style white box. I hope they still use those. Since you posted this thread I have actually been eyeing the petty knife.

polytope

Post by polytope »

rk592934 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 pm
I began to remember the first real Japanese chef knife I ever bought. A Hattori HD 240mm gyuto. [...] Seeing as how Hattori knives are hard to find could someone direct me to the original maker so I could possibly find the same knife with one of these alternative names on it?
Mine too, an HD-1 petty. I believe Ryusen is the maker you're looking for.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

rk592934 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 pm
Feeling a bit nostalgic today and I began to remember the first real Japanese chef knife I ever bought. A Hattori HD 240mm gyuto. From what I know they where made by a company and sold under a few different names. Seeing as how Hattori knives are hard to find could someone direct me to the original maker so I could possibly find the same knife with one of these alternative names on it?
The original manufacturer for this knife is Ryusen and you can still find them under their name. A couple years ago they stopped offering them as OEM options. We sold them under the Maruyoshi brand until they pulled the plug.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

rk592934

Post by rk592934 »

Thanks Mark!