Induction burner

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
keithmarder

Induction burner

Post by keithmarder »

Hi Fellow Members,

It looks like my building may be without gas for a few months while they check the lines. I am thinking one of those countertop induction burners would be the way to go (plus I think they are really cool).

Does anyone have any experience with them or any recommendations for brand/moidel?

Kenji just told me he uses the Breville Control Freak.

Thanks
rayl1234

Re: Induction burner

Post by rayl1234 »

I use the Hatco ones. No where as fancy as the polyscience one you cited, but do have models with temp probes and in particular, a 3600 watt unit that outs out just shy of 30k btu equiv for when you need a good sear. (240v wiring required for the 3600w).
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

rayl1234 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:20 pm I use the Hatco ones. No where as fancy as the polyscience one you cited, but do have models with temp probes and in particular, a 3600 watt unit that outs out just shy of 30k btu equiv for when you need a good sear. (240v wiring required for the 3600w).
Thanks. Unfortunately, I am stuck with 120V
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have used a cheap 120 volt as an accessory to my three crappy gas burners. When it worked it worked. It did not last longer than 8-12 months.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 pm I have used a cheap 120 volt as an accessory to my three crappy gas burners. When it worked it worked. It did not last longer than 8-12 months.
Thanks, Ben. Seeing as I need it temporarily, maybe that's the way to go.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

keithmarder wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:46 pm
Bensbites wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 pm I have used a cheap 120 volt as an accessory to my three crappy gas burners. When it worked it worked. It did not last longer than 8-12 months.
Thanks, Ben. Seeing as I need it temporarily, maybe that's the way to go.
I think it is a great solution given your situation. I will consider changing my stovetop over to induction.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

I ended up with 3 portable hobs, 2 1800w, one 3600w on top of my electric cooktop instead of replacing it. After a bunch of research, i couldn’t find an induction cooktop that can put out as much power as the 3600 nor with easy to flick knobs. Touch controls are too slow to work for me.

But while doing research, i used a $95 MaxBurton to get used to induction.... worked great, just not good enough to e.g. melt chocolate without a double boiler on the low temp end nor to get super high heat output on the other end.
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

Similar thing happened in my building last year. I bought this one: I am in a rental building so I got the landlord to cover the cost of the induction burner.

It does a pretty good job for most things and the exact temperature control is quite nice. You can't really get it hot enough to sear steaks. This induction burner plus my toaster oven and instant pot held me over for the 2.5 months we had no gas. It was a good thing that electricity is included in my rent.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

mdl130 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am Similar thing happened in my building last year. I bought this one: I am in a rental building so I got the landlord to cover the cost of the induction burner.

It does a pretty good job for most things and the exact temperature control is quite nice. You can't really get it hot enough to sear steaks. This induction burner plus my toaster oven and instant pot held me over for the 2.5 months we had no gas. It was a good thing that electricity is included in my rent.
Thanks. Do you live in Manhattan?
datster

Post by datster »

mdl130 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am Similar thing happened in my building last year. I bought this one:
I bought this same unit about 6 weeks ago, was looking for some ability to prepare some foods right on the island. It took a day or two to get used to how it heats but I'm using it more and more every day and really starting to like it A LOT.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Kenji may say to buy the Breville, but he didn't pay for his. At least, I don't think he did. He's not wrong, and you should get that if you can. I can't. The best thing that isn't a Control Freak that will run on a 1800W circuit is the Vollrath Mirage Pro. Vollrath have stupid warranty policies that don't cover consumer use at all. But I managed to snag a used one on the cheap on eBay. It's pretty much the best you can do for under $1000. I got on the recommendations of Doug Baldwin and ChefSteps. 100 power levels with a physical knob to control them. A very nice low-end that can melt chocolate or butter with precision. Pricey, but well built. No warranty on it tho....

I also have one of these. Not induction, but just as useful (if not moreso).

rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

I actually have a vollrath mirage pro 1800 along with the preferred hatco 1800 and 3600. Hatco is higher efficiency and programmable for $50 more vs mirage pro for 1800w model. The commercial warranty proved a benefit provided you have access to a commercial address. I had an issue once and received a warranty replacement, in advance of return, via 2 day fedex. Best warranty service i’ve had for years. I understand this policy and responsiveness is market standard for the segment. (Unlike for front of house stuff like point of sales systems!)

On the breville/ polyscience unit - i recall it is a limited purpose item in that while it has precision temperature control, there is no straight X% power output control option. So besides price, it cannot be a primary hob, hence, i stopped considering it.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

btbyrd wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 am Kenji may say to buy the Breville, but he didn't pay for his. At least, I don't think he did. He's not wrong, and you should get that if you can. I can't. The best thing that isn't a Control Freak that will run on a 1800W circuit is the Vollrath Mirage Pro. Vollrath have stupid warranty policies that don't cover consumer use at all. But I managed to snag a used one on the cheap on eBay. It's pretty much the best you can do for under $1000. I got on the recommendations of Doug Baldwin and ChefSteps. 100 power levels with a physical knob to control them. A very nice low-end that can melt chocolate or butter with precision. Pricey, but well built. No warranty on it tho....

I also have one of these. Not induction, but just as useful (if not moreso).

Thanks, very useful info. Kenji actually actually said I might be better served with a butane or propane burner.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

rayl1234 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:20 am I actually have a vollrath mirage pro 1800 along with the preferred hatco 1800 and 3600. Hatco is higher efficiency and programmable for $50 more vs mirage pro for 1800w model. The commercial warranty proved a benefit provided you have access to a commercial address. I had an issue once and received a warranty replacement, in advance of return, via 2 day fedex. Best warranty service i’ve had for years. I understand this policy and responsiveness is market standard for the segment. (Unlike for front of house stuff like point of sales systems!)

On the breville/ polyscience unit - i recall it is a limited purpose item in that while it has precision temperature control, there is no straight X% power output control option. So besides price, it cannot be a primary hob, hence, i stopped considering it.
Thanks
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

keithmarder wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm
mdl130 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:55 am Similar thing happened in my building last year. I bought this one: I am in a rental building so I got the landlord to cover the cost of the induction burner.

Yup, I live in Manhattan. The landlord also agreed to a 12% rent rebate which I think is a pretty standard percentage and legally required for loss of services.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

mdl130 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:52 pm
keithmarder wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Yup, I live in Manhattan. The landlord also agreed to a 12% rent rebate which I think is a pretty standard percentage and legally required for loss of services.
I live in a coop on the UWS, so not only don't I get a break, but will have to py my share for the fix. Yay!!!

Do you work in a restaurant?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I picked up a Duxtop 1800 watt unit 120 volt unit. So far so good. Works very well with cast iron cookware. I use it for making pasta, warming soup etc. Also use it with a pressure cooker for oxtails, lamb shanks etc. It heats quickly and accurately. Pleased so far x 4 months. FWIW

---
Ken