Pecan wood butcher block?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Altadan

Re: Pecan wood butcher block?

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:05 pm
You can't plane the face of a piece of wood that is crosscut. It needs to be run through a drum sander.
I've seen serious woodworkers use a router mounted on a jig that goes back and forth, bit a drum sander? O_o
I'm gonna have to google that....

AlbuquerqueDan

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Altadan wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:37 pm
timos wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:24 pm
sweet project!
Thanks!

I'm in need of ideas as to how to finish this thing.
I don't have any tools, nor do I have room for them, yet... I need to really flatten this thing if it's gonna be a cutting board (or else wife want to screw legs into it and turn it into a table or stool :\ )

I suppose I could get a second-hand belt-sander, and eyeball it from there... but I wish I could run it through a large planer and be done!
Any idea where I could find a service that would plane a piece like this without exacting a "minimum special milling service" fee in a city like Dallas?
If there's a community college with a woodworking shop in your area, I'd reach out to the instructor and see if he'd run it through the drum sander for you. Offer him $30 or buy a few large pizzas for his class. Maybe offer him a few slabs of pecan. Bribery of a CC instructor is how I got access to a drum sander when I needed one. 👍

Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Try taking the piece of wood to a cabinet shop. Ask them for a price, can’t hurt to try. If you are willing to do the finish sanding (random orbital sander) it should save you some money because it takes longer to change the belts than to sand the wood. It literally takes 5 minutes with a wide-belt (panel) sander.

Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

So, I’m a little confused here. Was this slab seasoned? If not, it’s going to check and warp at some point, especially after being sealed up in oil. The best way, the only way to flatten something like this would be to use a router sled. You could use MDF and it should be pretty easy to construct, but in practice, working green wood is impossible. That slab needs to sit a minimum of two years.

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Rufus Leaking wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:35 am
So, I’m a little confused here. Was this slab seasoned? If not, it’s going to check and warp at some point, especially after being sealed up in oil. The best way, the only way to flatten something like this would be to use a router sled. You could use MDF and it should be pretty easy to construct, but in practice, working green wood is impossible. That slab needs to sit a minimum of two years.
That's what I feared... :roll:
From all my newfound YouTube knowledge, it seems to be the case. No, I did not treat or stabilize it with anything proper.
I'd like to think that a couple of days in a 200F car in Texas would do the trick, but my denial will only go so far. Time will tell how it dries and warps :oops: