New Maker Pass Around

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
dinoadventures

Re: New Maker Pass Around

Post by dinoadventures »

Thezep wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm
dinoadventures wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am If it's not too late, I'd like to get in. Sorry about the postcount, I haven't been around in a while and apparently my stats didn't carry over when the forum software change happened.

Maker's choice, obviously.
If cooknola is willing to ship to you, I don't see why not 8-). Please send me and cooknola your address and contact info.
Fantastic! I sent it along.

Thank you so much! Looking forward to putting hands to this.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Thezep wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 11:24 pm Just wanted to give a quick update, I'm still waiting on one address. I will give it until Tuesday. Life happens so I want to give them a chance get back to me.
U know i read this and wondered who hadnt sent their address... :lol: sorry about that. Perhaps, ill change my name to cutme lol, my bad
pjwoolw

Post by pjwoolw »

The knife arrived today to me safe and sound. Really a nice item. Impressive work for sure! Darn fine edge too. The tip needs a bit of work. I'll take care of that before I send it out to the next victim.
Pete in San Ramon.
925-548-6967
acmesharpening@gmail.com
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

dinoadventures wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am
Thezep wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:52 pm
dinoadventures wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 10:34 am If it's not too late, I'd like to get in. Sorry about the postcount, I haven't been around in a while and apparently my stats didn't carry over when the forum software change happened.

Maker's choice, obviously.
If cooknola is willing to ship to you, I don't see why not 8-). Please send me and cooknola your address and contact info.
Fantastic! I sent it along.

Thank you so much! Looking forward to putting hands to this.
Shouldn't be a problem with me. If it makes life easier id even be fine with Dino jumping ahead of me. It's the big easy. I'm not bothered with anything.
-C-
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

pjwoolw wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm The knife arrived today to me safe and sound. Really a nice item. Impressive work for sure! Darn fine edge too. The tip needs a bit of work. I'll take care of that before I send it out to the next victim.
Good to know, It got held up in the post office and I was super worried it would get confiscated. I put a little mineral oil on it for ahipping, feel free to wash it off. I experimented with some cork belts for sharpening and it rounded over the edge much more aggrssively than I expected so I took it to stones and ground it by hand to get it flat again lol. Live and learn - no more cork for sharpening! How do you feel about convex edges on kitchen knives? I figure most kitchen knife folks sharpen on stones so I try to put flat edges on. If you feel like that steel can take a more acute edge, by all means push it back, i left it a little thicker than normal just to be safe.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

cooknola wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 pm Shouldn't be a problem with me. If it makes life easier id even be fine with Dino jumping ahead of me. It's the big easy. I'm not bothered with anything.
However yall want to work it out is fine with me. Logistically it makes more sense to send it to Dino from your location and then to me from Dino's location, but by God, this is America!
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Thezep wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 am
cooknola wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 pm Shouldn't be a problem with me. If it makes life easier id even be fine with Dino jumping ahead of me. It's the big easy. I'm not bothered with anything.
However yall want to work it out is fine with me. Logistically it makes more sense to send it to Dino from your location and then to me from Dino's location, but by God, this is America!
Geez. Just calm down Randy...
-C-
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

cooknola wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 am Geez. Just calm down Randy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoudYNeVn5E
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Thezep wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 am
cooknola wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:56 am Geez. Just calm down Randy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoudYNeVn5E
:lol: :lol: :lol: 😂🤣🤣

Dear god it hurts.
-C-
pjwoolw

Post by pjwoolw »

The general consensus ( my Mary ) around our kitchen is that the handle doesn't fit the knife. To skinny for good purchase and slippery. I found the length fine though.
Pete in San Ramon.
925-548-6967
acmesharpening@gmail.com
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

pjwoolw wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 10:05 pm The general consensus ( my Mary ) around our kitchen is that the handle doesn't fit the knife. To skinny for good purchase and slippery. I found the length fine though.
Noted. I figured that would be the biggest issue. I tend to gravitate towards small narrow handles on hidden tangs because i like to get up onto the blade and the handle to me is just to wrap my back fingers around. However, I have already worked up a new handle pattern for future iterations of J-style hidden tangs,
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

So what's the latest on this bad boy? How's it handling?
-C-
pjwoolw

Post by pjwoolw »

The item is on its way to datster. The knife was a big hit here. Good geometry. My Mary gives it a thumbs up. The edge held extremely well. All it needed was a quick touch up and strop on nano cloth with 2 micron diamond spray from Ken.
Pete in San Ramon.
925-548-6967
acmesharpening@gmail.com
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

pjwoolw wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 2:24 pm The item is on its way to datster. The knife was a big hit here. Good geometry. My Mary gives it a thumbs up. The edge held extremely well. All it needed was a quick touch up and strop on nano cloth with 2 micron diamond spray from Ken.
Thank you for your honesty and participation. This type of information goes a long way in developing heat treating regimens and designs. I am starting to gain a fondness for these vanadium rich PM steels after working with some cpm-3v this week.
datster

Post by datster »

Well, it arrived today. Of course it was already mentioned the handle needs improvement but hey, i wanted to evaluate the blade, that's what I was interested in. I really like the profile as did a few other people that I have shown it to. I did get to play with it a little tonight and sliced some tomatoes and some potato chips.

So, when will these be available and how do I pre-order? Actually, I think I need two because a friend of mine asked me the same thing earlier. https://youtu.be/LxGY80172e4
pjwoolw

Post by pjwoolw »

Pretty good for a quick 2 micron edge.
Pete in San Ramon.
925-548-6967
acmesharpening@gmail.com
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

datster wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:45 pm Well, it arrived today. Of course it was already mentioned the handle needs improvement but hey, i wanted to evaluate the blade, that's what I was interested in. I really like the profile as did a few other people that I have shown it to. I did get to play with it a little tonight and sliced some tomatoes and some potato chips.

So, when will these be available and how do I pre-order? Actually, I think I need two because a friend of mine asked me the same thing earlier. https://youtu.be/LxGY80172e4
I'm glad you like it! I can make more pretty soon, out of the same steel or a steel of your choosing. Same goes for handles, you can even send me your own wood or any other material. For the handle do you think the general design is ok but it just needs more meat (like 1/4" or so)? Or do you think I should just throw a wa-handle on and call it good? I don't take any money up front, I'm a one man operation so lead times just depend on how many order I have.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

J david wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 3:51 am Looking forward to it.
I didn't get your shipping info. Just a heads up!
datster

Post by datster »

Planning to ship tonight after work to Tom as long as I can get out of here in time to get to the shipper. If not it will be tomorrow, regardless I will get you tracking as soon as I have it. Like I said earlier, I really liked the profile, it was different for me and a lot of fun to work with. The edge held well, a little strop on balsa with 1.5 micron paste and a finish on leather, this baby was sharp as seen in my short potato video. https://youtu.be/LxGY80172e4 We liked it and are thinking of adding one to the collection.
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

datster wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:23 am Planning to ship tonight after work to Tom as long as I can get out of here in time to get to the shipper. If not it will be tomorrow, regardless I will get you tracking as soon as I have it. Like I said earlier, I really liked the profile, it was different for me and a lot of fun to work with. The edge held well, a little strop on balsa with 1.5 micron paste and a finish on leather, this baby was sharp as seen in my short potato video. https://youtu.be/LxGY80172e4 We liked it and are thinking of adding one to the collection.
Can't wait :D