Chef Knife made from 9/11 Building Steel

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
snapshot2017

Chef Knife made from 9/11 Building Steel

Post by snapshot2017 »

I found an article in the October Blade Magazine about a knife being made fro steel from the Twin Trade Tower Buildings on 9/11/2011.
Am including a picture.
Attachments
9-11 Steel used in Chef Knife.jpg.jpeg
Altadan

Re: Chef Knife made from 9/11 Building Steel

Post by Altadan »

Wow.

(So, the Twins' steel is the cladding?)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Eh i find that kind of disrespectful to be honest.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

raleighcook15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 pm Eh i find that kind of disrespectful to be honest.
This was actually my thought as well.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

raleighcook15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 pm Eh i find that kind of disrespectful to be honest.
Not me, beauty from ashes.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I grew up in nj. I have 3 uncle's who worked as an emt,fireman and a cop in nyc. It was a horrible day and should be respected. Curious how he even got the steel. Just seems like a crappy way to turn a profit as opposed to respecting the thousands that died. Just my 2 cents.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

It was done as a charity auction piece where the funds went for families of first responders

[https://blademag.com/knifemaking/custom ... er-11-2001
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm It was done as a charity auction piece where the funds went for families of first responders
Seems like a lot of people have done this. Charity or not, i just find it tactless.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

For some people, having a piece of those buildings is the very memorial they need. Their "never forget." Just another two cents.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

raleighcook15 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:55 pm
stevem627 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:50 pm It was done as a charity auction piece where the funds went for families of first responders
Seems like a lot of people have done this. Charity or not, i just find it tactless.
It's hard to fault Murry for making the knife in this case being that he was approached by FDNY to make it. What was he going to do, say no?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

I'm not faulting anyone, i just disagree with it. I could see the smoke from where i live. I now also have a brother who is a cop. I just think it shouldn't have been a thing, regardless of whose idea it was. Just a difference in perspectives really. He probably did it with the best intentions.
Corradobrit

Post by Corradobrit »

They make watch cases from U-boat steel too. That is far more questionable IMO. Memorializing the 9/11 atrocity in this way is not disrespectful but to each his own
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I went to high school in NYC. My dad still lives there. I try to visit as often as possible. I stood on the roof with my family that summer before the attack. The main problem I have is the first responders having to raise money for their members and families. Greed shows it’s ugly head in so many ways. Money should be given to the heroes that shortened their life to save others. The fact that they have to raise money is wrong in so many ways.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

This will be my one and only post on this topic. I worked at 2 World Trade in 2001.

If someone tries to do something nice and help people it's a gift. The gift isn't always your favorite color. You might already have one. You might not understand it. You might not even like it, and return it or regift it. But if someone tries to do something nice one good thing to do is say thank you to the person giving it.

It seems to me thank you might be an appropriate response in this instance. I'm always biased in favor of someone performing a genuine act of charity and I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

I gotta say, at first this left a sour taste in my mouth, but I initially imagined someone acquiring the piece of metal at auction (or worse, stealing a piece of the rubble) and then getting the knife made and then using the knife themselves.

In this situation, however, I think there's something almost poetic about it (glossing over the premise that auctions like this had to take place at all to take care of these brave men and women and their families)

Everything that I find fascinating and magical about blacksmithing and someone's ability to forge and form metal is blended into such a somber human interaction in this story.

FDNY, a group of unimaginably brave humans who repeatedly journey into literal flames to save others, take a piece of rubble from the disaster that extinguished the lives of their brethren, and approach a man who has spent his life taming and controlling flames in order to shape metal, and ask him to use his abilities to plunge that steel back into fire, not to destroy it, but to use that fire to give the steel life again. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

I don't know that I myself would ever want to own something like this, but at the same time whoever bought it at auction knew the money would be helping first responders and their families, so it's hard for me to fault that person for their purchase.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:38 am This will be my one and only post on this topic. I worked at 2 World Trade in 2001.

If someone tries to do something nice and help people it's a gift. The gift isn't always your favorite color. You might already have one. You might not understand it. You might not even like it, and return it or regift it. But if someone tries to do something nice one good thing to do is say thank you to the person giving it.

It seems to me thank you might be an appropriate response in this instance. I'm always biased in favor of someone performing a genuine act of charity and I always try to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Very well said.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

joanjet wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:21 pm I gotta say, at first this left a sour taste in my mouth, but I initially imagined someone acquiring the piece of metal at auction (or worse, stealing a piece of the rubble) and then getting the knife made and then using the knife themselves.

In this situation, however, I think there's something almost poetic about it (glossing over the premise that auctions like this had to take place at all to take care of these brave men and women and their families)

Everything that I find fascinating and magical about blacksmithing and someone's ability to forge and form metal is blended into such a somber human interaction in this story.

FDNY, a group of unimaginably brave humans who repeatedly journey into literal flames to save others, take a piece of rubble from the disaster that extinguished the lives of their brethren, and approach a man who has spent his life taming and controlling flames in order to shape metal, and ask him to use his abilities to plunge that steel back into fire, not to destroy it, but to use that fire to give the steel life again. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

I don't know that I myself would ever want to own something like this, but at the same time whoever bought it at auction knew the money would be helping first responders and their families, so it's hard for me to fault that person for their purchase.
This is as poetic as the deed itself.
Brilliant words JJ!
I am in favor the idea myself but I did not loose a comrade or relative in this tragedy so I am not qualified to be absolute in my opinion.
But seeing how it is endorsed by those that did suffer...I am feeling good about it.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

" FDNY, a group of unimaginably brave humans who repeatedly journey into literal flames to save others, take a piece of rubble from the disaster that extinguished the lives of their brethren, and approach a man who has spent his life taming and controlling flames in order to shape metal, and ask him to use his abilities to plunge that steel back into fire, not to destroy it, but to use that fire to give the steel life again. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes."

Beautifully written sentiment...
Carter

Post by Carter »

stevem627 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:03 pm " FDNY, a group of unimaginably brave humans who repeatedly journey into literal flames to save others, take a piece of rubble from the disaster that extinguished the lives of their brethren, and approach a man who has spent his life taming and controlling flames in order to shape metal, and ask him to use his abilities to plunge that steel back into fire, not to destroy it, but to use that fire to give the steel life again. Like a phoenix rising from the ashes."

Beautifully written sentiment...
Agree...very nice JJ!
Bmoze

Post by Bmoze »

A sensitive matter, for sure. Sweet writing, JJ. I think this project has served a key purpose of fine art and craft - to promote thought, reflection, and remembrance.