Favorite steak and how you cook it?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Runner_up

Re: Favorite steak and how you cook it?

Post by Runner_up »

Doesn't get much better than a reverse seared ribeye.

Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

Hangers; Santa Maria style
Rubbed with the usual ingredients, heavy on the rosemary, grilled with a couple chunks of oak, basted with wine vinegar, garlic and a little more rub.
Its not a pretty steak, but it's got loads of beefy flavor.

ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

So my favorite steak is filet mignon medium rare. I let it sit out for an hour and I season it with salt and pepper and let it sit. Then what I do is put about 3 tablespoons of butter and a little bit of either avocado or grapeseed oil in the hot pan so the butter doesn't burn. While you are doing that have the oven warming to 500 degrees or broil. Put the steak in after the butter has melted and it is hot enough to start sizzling. You want to create a almost nice golden brown crust on the outside with searing to lock in the flavors. After in the pan put fresh rosemary and garlic in the pan with the steak. If you are feeling frisky I usually like to take a lime lemon or grapefruit cut up and put it with the butter to cut the heaviness and add some tart freshness to the flavor palette. Take a spoon and start taking the hot butter and pouring it over the steak. For about 5 minutes depending on how you like your steak and how thick it might be. Salt and pepper steak before flipping over. Then repeat previous process of buttering and seasoning. After that throw in oven for about 6 to 8 minutes. Pull out of oven after and let sit for 5 minutes. Plate and ladle the butter on top of steak. Then enjoy one of the best steaks you will ever have. That's how I do all my steaks.

Edit: I forgot to add that when I'm feeling even more frisky I love to glaze the pan after with a nice Cognac and let it cook the alcohol off and put heavy cream in it and drizzle the sauce on top of the steak after.
Last edited by ButlerHoosierChef on Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

cliff wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm It's also hard to get a good sear with sous vide. I prefer it for lean proteins like big pork chops, though, even there, I have had excellent results with the reverse sear.
My experience is quite different. I carefully dry the protein and it sears in seconds.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Add one more to the list of sous vide fans. Especially in the summer when I can get the kamado ripping afterwards (typically grilling some of the sides) and get a great sear on the cast iron moon in 30 seconds. Top with a little roasted garlic and rosemary butter and you're set.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I'm definitely a bone in rib steak guy. And yes, I know the bone doesn't add any flavour but I just love the way it looks. Tomahawk is ideal but not always practical (cough Maui cough). Seasoned with Maldon salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a bit of dill seed and fennel seed. Just a hint of each of those. Usually do on the bbq. While letting them rest, I will throw on a dab of butter if I'm really going all out. Anyone who is having trouble with consistently cooking a steak, invest in a Thermapen. It's a life-changer.
slobound

Post by slobound »

My fav is probably a reverse seared ribeye but since that’s already been discussed, how about Brazilian style picanha or a reverse seared tritip? A couple pics to get you going...

Picanha

Tritip

-- Garrick
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

I’m not a pro so I like to keep it simple. I’ll take any cut with sea salt and fresh pepper and lay it directly onto very hot charcoal. About 3 minutes a side.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Two things;
I prefer ribeye over most things(bison even more than beef), seasoned only with quality kosher salt. I enjoy pan seared and finished in the oven with a demiglaze/mushroom cream pan sauce, finished with some Fleur de sel

Secondly, after being a chef for nearly 20 years,....wtf is reverse sear?

Am I dumb, or just living under a rock lol?

For extra measure, my next favorites are the cap steak, hanger, and flank. Tenderloin is actually one of my least favorites. For my tastes and on a budget, I'd prefer a chuck eye steak tenderized and we'll seasoned cooked rare and sliced thin. Tasty as an expensive tenderloin, tender enough when sliced thinly and adaptable to any cooking style.

Lastly, the best tenderloin I've ever had was poached in butter and peppercorns, yum!

Alright, I e said enough. Really like everyone's suggestions though. Steak is the shit!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Reverse sear is great, i use it for rib eyes and also prime rib cooking.
Try this one: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Prime rib endcaps - get them at Costco. Salt, pepper, olive oil. Sear off on big green egg at 850 for a minute or two a side over center hot spot till nice, pull steaks and close grill down to 350 or so and put steaks back on till desired temp in center (130 for me, 137 for SO). When I was young I would toss butter on them while resting, now I just rest for 10 min.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

slobound wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 pm My fav is probably a reverse seared ribeye but since that’s already been discussed, how about Brazilian style picanha or a reverse seared tritip? A couple pics to get you going...

Picanha

Tritip

Those are some drool worthy photos!
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

My current method is:

1. Put our gas grill on high heat.
2. Pat Ribeye with a paper towel to get it dry and then season it with lots of kosher salt.
3. On the grill for 7 minutes. Don't move it. Watch for a grease fire.
4. Flip it and turn off the flame and let it cook another 4-5 minutes.
5. Pull it and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

stevem627 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm You can treat it with whatever rub you like or just salt and pepper and put into a carbon steel pan or cast iron pan and cook in oven at 250 (you can use 225 to 275 --lower temp gets internal a bit more done than I like) until internal temp is anywhere from 100-130ish depending on how you like it done. I just take the pan out of the oven and throw the steaks on a holding tray and put the pan from the oven on the burner to get hot,. It only takes a short time to get VERY hot since we have a high BTU burner on two burners. Throw good butter into the skillet (we only use Kerrygold now since it's way better than regular store brands we've tried) and get the steak crusted and then put back on the rack to rest. It only takes a little under a minute per side or less to sear the steak. Like I said before -- perfect every time. You could also throw it on the grill to sear it but it only adds a little bit of flavor to me at that point. IF you have the grill going anyway, then for sure use it to sear.

There are TONS of ways to sauce it if you want the flavor boosted. Most times we just make a pan sauce with mushrooms, more butter and a little red wine.
Yo have inspired me I got a inch and a half ribeye 1.4 lb and I wants to try a reverse sear preheat the oven to 270 but I don't know how long I should go and I don't have a proper thermometer. Any idea as to how long it should stay in?
Thanks!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Dan, we use a probe thermometer but i think if you set it that high I'd check it after 40 minutes with a quick read. Internal needs to be about 10 F less than your desired finished temp. We like 130 internal. It may take a couple times to get them the exact way you like, Once you do, it's easily reproduced every time. In the past when grilling with family and friends it was easy to get distracted and I'd miss the mark on steaks. This way we can only really have to focus on the sear and you can actually do steaks before every one arrives even in different doneness if you know some like it more or less done. I'm generally not that accommodating though. ;)
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

Altadan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 am
Yo have inspired me I got a inch and a half ribeye 1.4 lb and I wants to try a reverse sear preheat the oven to 270 but I don't know how long I should go and I don't have a proper thermometer. Any idea as to how long it should stay in?
Thanks!
There’s a table here at the end of the article that’s pretty helpful. It’s pretty hard to do this accurately without a probe though. Our oven has a probe built in so there’s real time internal temp displayed. It works wonders for stuff like this.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how ... steak.html
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Thanks so much, Jon!

I found that same link right when I got home. I was in a bit of a rush, and wrote here from the road... Hahah. Having limited time and hungry kids, I let go in a preheated oven (and pan) at 270F for 20min. Then seared, and voila 😎
I later threw the slices back on the hot pan with some red onion that was already there to deglaze... Everything turned out beautiful. Kids devoured it 🤗
Proof
https://youtu.be/-XZneon06BY
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
slobound

Post by slobound »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:24 am
slobound wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:58 pm My fav is probably a reverse seared ribeye but since that’s already been discussed, how about Brazilian style picanha or a reverse seared tritip? A couple pics to get you going...

Picanha

Tritip

Those are some drool worthy photos!
Thanks Mark! I’m no pro but I do love steak 🥩 and I have sharp knives to cut them thanks to you!!!
-- Garrick
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Altadan wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 am
stevem627 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm You can treat it with whatever rub you like or just salt and pepper and put into a carbon steel pan or cast iron pan and cook in oven at 250 (you can use 225 to 275 --lower temp gets internal a bit more done than I like) until internal temp is anywhere from 100-130ish depending on how you like it done. I just take the pan out of the oven and throw the steaks on a holding tray and put the pan from the oven on the burner to get hot,. It only takes a short time to get VERY hot since we have a high BTU burner on two burners. Throw good butter into the skillet (we only use Kerrygold now since it's way better than regular store brands we've tried) and get the steak crusted and then put back on the rack to rest. It only takes a little under a minute per side or less to sear the steak. Like I said before -- perfect every time. You could also throw it on the grill to sear it but it only adds a little bit of flavor to me at that point. IF you have the grill going anyway, then for sure use it to sear.

There are TONS of ways to sauce it if you want the flavor boosted. Most times we just make a pan sauce with mushrooms, more butter and a little red wine.
Thanks!
You need something like the Chef Alarm from Thermoworks. Really simple to use. No other way too cook a large piece of meat IMHO, including turkey, prime rib, pork shoulder... I'd be lost without a thermometer probe.
https://www.thermoworks.com/ChefAlarm
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I generally go back and forth between ribeye and strip, depending on what looks best at my butcher's but I also like hanger, skirt and flatiron, too and will pick them up when they're available. Prep is kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and maybe some of my rub, depending on my mood. As for cooking, I'm partial to cooking with lump charcoal on my Weber kettle -- direct, then indirect. 30-45 seconds in each direction on both sides over the charcoal, after which I move them to the indirect side of the grill, cover the Weber and let them finish . . .

Dry-Aged Ribeyes from Zier's in Wilmette, IL
Beautiful marbling, even in the eye. My butcher is outstanding.

Dry-aged Ribeye, Weber kettle, lump charcoal

Dry-aged Ribeye, Weber kettle, lump charcoal

I even like this method in the winter, too! ;)

=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.