Favorite kitchen scale

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
raleighcook15

Favorite kitchen scale

Post by raleighcook15 »

Whats your favorite kitchen scale for weight out meat/fish/pastry. Looking for something long lasting thats not too large.
LostHighway

Re: Favorite kitchen scale

Post by LostHighway »

]This is the one that sits on my counter for daily use https://myweigh.com/product/ibalance-i2600/. It goes through batteries moderately quickly so I use it with an AC adapter but otherwise I have zero complaints. I also have an older but more retro-futuristic looking Swiss Soehnle. It has a slightly larger footprint, is battery powered (long life), about twice the maximum capacity of the iBalance 2600, but only within about 2gm absolute accuracy. I rarely get out the Soehnle save for larger projects when I need to weigh more than five pounds of an ingredient.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

My Weigh KD-8000 Kitchen And Craft Digital Scale

I've been using the kd8000 in my kitchens for about 10 years. Measures down to the gram and up to 8kg (17 lb.),
Takes 3 AA's or plugs in, you can set it to automatically shut off or not, has switches to turn on/off back light and beeps.
Measures in;
bakers %
Lb. Example 1.75 lb.
Lb. Oz. Example 1 lb 12 oz.
Oz. Example 28 oz.
Gr. Example 1250 gr.
Kg. Example 1.250 kg.
Will go to negatives if you are measuring by removing from a container.

Downsides are that it's a little bulkier and less aesthetically pleasing than others.
Batteries last for months in a restaurant kitchen (backlight on)
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have always used the Escali Primo. They take a licking and keep on ticking. Even had one fo through the dish pit and it came out the other end still breathing.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

ATK recommends the OXO model and i got one. Uses AAA batteries and works really well. best part is the readout panel can slide out for those larger bowls etc that would normally hide the display.
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pu ... B000WJMTNA
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

I have the KD-8000 as well. I've also found that I seem to be replacing batteries on it more often than I would expect. I forgot it came with an AC adapter. Maybe I'll fish that out.

I've had problems with Oxo scales. I had 2 break on me (the LED panel started showing only partial digits). They replaced the first grudgingly and basically said if it happened again, I was on my own. It happened on the 2nd scale even more quickly than the first one. I've had the My Weigh for 5 years now and no complaints (other than the batteries).
bruin

Post by bruin »

I’ve used the Oxo in both a home and professional setting... I like it for its build quality, size and clean-ability but I wouldn’t recommend it if you’re trying to weighs things under 10-15 grams. Otherwise it’s a great buy
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:28 am My Weigh KD-8000 Kitchen And Craft Digital Scale

I've been using the kd8000 in my kitchens for about 10 years. Measures down to the gram and up to 8kg (17 lb.),
Takes 3 AA's or plugs in, you can set it to automatically shut off or not, has switches to turn on/off back light and beeps.
Measures in;
bakers %
Lb. Example 1.75 lb.
Lb. Oz. Example 1 lb 12 oz.
Oz. Example 28 oz.
Gr. Example 1250 gr.
Kg. Example 1.250 kg.
Will go to negatives if you are measuring by removing from a container.

Downsides are that it's a little bulkier and less aesthetically pleasing than others.
Batteries last for months in a restaurant kitchen (backlight on)
I was eyeing tbis guy up. Got the one with the plug since my station is right next to an outlet. Appreciate it everyone
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have been through cheap ones at $10-15 for 11 lbs capacity. They break or chew through batteries. I hate when devices use button batteries when AA will do. I have been using the oxo scale for a while. AA batteries, removable SS weighing pan, and remote screen/dock. Typical oxo quality and you buy it again.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Been using this one for 6 years and it's still going strong, I think I've changed the batteries once. I have weights in 50gm and 100gm and check it's accuracy now and then and it's always dead on. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good kitchen scale.

If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Bob Z wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 pm ATK recommends the OXO model and i got one. Uses AAA batteries and works really well. best part is the readout panel can slide out for those larger bowls etc that would normally hide the display.
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Pu ... B000WJMTNA
A hearty +1
Well built and the batteries let a long time. Love the pull out front for large items.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Add another to the list. The OXO works well for us too.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Kamenstein is my favorite. Battery life is very good. Cleans up easy. Very good display.

I do love the read out on the OXO.

I've used the glass tops and not a fan. I feel like l'm gonna break it.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:26 am I have been through cheap ones at $10-15 for 11 lbs capacity. They break or chew through batteries. I hate when devices use button batteries when AA will do. I have been using the oxo scale for a while. AA batteries, removable SS weighing pan, and remote screen/dock. Typical oxo quality and you buy it again.
I must have got lucky then because my $9 scale from walmart has lasted me four years so far and I have only changed the batteries once. I use it 2-3 times a day. :) Pretty sure it is a mainstays brand.