Would you do this with your Shibata R2?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
bruin

Re: Would you do this with your Shibata R2?

Post by bruin »

There’s nothing wrong with ignorance as long as you’re self aware and ready to learn. One of the things I love about cooking is that the more you learn the more you realize you don’t know. Most of the best chefs in the world would tell you they suck or at least that there’s tons of people better than them. Staying humble and staying on your toes is absolutely crucial to success in cooking. THIS chef seems to be ignorant, at least about knives and about breaking down fish, but is chef of a sushi restaurant and is making tutorial videos for the masses. This is someone who is bullshitting their way through their career. Likely someone passionless.

This might be a little harsh. Maybe she’s a good manager. Maybe she’s written a thoughtful and invented menu. But I’ve worked with a lot of willingly ignorant chefs in my career and usually they aren’t good at much.

I would also add that it’s curiously uncommon for professionals to have the kind of knowledge people on this forum do about knives. Many have good knife skills (I would put this woman in the bottom 50% for breaking down fish), but wouldn’t have heard of Shibata or know the appropriate technique and applications for using a knife like one of his.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

bruin wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm I would also add that it’s curiously uncommon for professionals to have the kind of knowledge people on this forum do about knives. Many have good knife skills (I would put this woman in the bottom 50% for breaking down fish), but wouldn’t have heard of Shibata or know the appropriate technique and applications for using a knife like one of his.
Well said.

Case in point I like to believe I have a fair idea of when and how to use my Shibata but if she's bottom 50% on how to break down a salmon I'm bottom 5% --- even if I was using the right knife.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:36 pm I don't know what to do with customers like this. She freaked out after jamming this knife through a big salmon spine and is pissed off at ME for chipping the hell out of her new knife.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5QaZE4gd5C/
These knives always say do not use on bone. If you do it's on the user. Sometimes people push/test the limits, but you have to take responsibility for the risk. Its on her.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Oh the ignorance of the ignorant.... :roll:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

stevem627 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:26 pm Wow...that's an interesting tutorial of how NOT to fillet a salmon. I don't know where she learned that technique but it SOOO wrong. Cutting without scaling and using the wrong tool for the job. If she is truly serious about not wasting meat maybe she should learn the correct way to fillet a salmon.
This. She sucks. Looked like she sliced it in waves "with her traditional sashimi knife" too. She clearly didn't keep the blade flat and straight. I hate to be that guy but if she didn't look good no one would watch her crappy video
salemj

Post by salemj »

I think the real issue here is very clear: she states several times that she's seen the knife go through phone books and pineapple online unscathed, implying toughness.

I imagine a lot of people confuse sharpness with toughness when people online cut plastic bottles filled with water or phone books or other crap with super-sharp knives. User error, yes. Ignorance, yes. But her confusion is that she actually seems to think she got a defective knife given what she's seen other people do with it. What a shame.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

She may have 2.5 years experience as a sushi chef, but she's clearly still a rookie.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

salemj wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:30 am I think the real issue here is very clear: she states several times that she's seen the knife go through phone books and pineapple online unscathed, implying toughness.

I imagine a lot of people confuse sharpness with toughness when people online cut plastic bottles filled with water or phone books or other crap with super-sharp knives. User error, yes. Ignorance, yes. But her confusion is that she actually seems to think she got a defective knife given what she's seen other people do with it. What a shame.
Agreed Joe.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Ouch, that poor Kotetsu!
-- Garrick
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I showed Shiba. Here is what he wrote to me.

Hi Mark,

I saw Chef Lex's video about the salmon. Oh no! You are right to recommend a deba for that kind of job.

I realize that we have to educate our customers better. I am working on this.

Kind regards,
Shiba
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Here is what she wrote me after I offered to repair it for free.

Tue, Nov 26, 11:57 AM (21 hours ago)
to me

Can I have an address for shipment? Although this isn't an extremely expensive knife it was still over 300$ and chipped the very first time I used it. Super upsetting because my video is now at over 3 million views and my followers were super excited to see the craftsmanship and were extremely dissapointed when they saw it completely crumble.
Not extremely happy with your company and will definitely not recommend you guys. I was so excited to use this knife on Food Network Canada and I cant even be sure it will hold up on national television.

Thank You,
Chef Lex
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am Here is what she wrote me after I offered to repair it for free.

to me

Can I have an address for shipment? Although this isn't an extremely expensive knife it was still over 300$ and chipped the very first time I used it. Super upsetting because my video is now at over 3 million views and my followers were super excited to see the craftsmanship and were extremely dissapointed when they saw it completely crumble.
Not extremely happy with your company and will definitely not recommend you guys. I was so excited to use this knife on Food Network Canada and I cant even be sure it will hold up on national television.

Thank You,
Chef Lex
Which video has 3 million views?
The 34k on instagram
or the 835 on youtube?
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

In its own way it's probably an excellent outcome. Some things are not for certain people. To quote US News & World Report:
We spare our readers unimportant news. We spare our advertisers unimportant readers.
The situation's analogous here. Breath in. Breathe out. Move on.

BTW. All this discussion has prompted me to purchase yet another Shibata. Very happy and looking forward to receiving it.
bruin

Post by bruin »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am I showed Shiba. Here is what he wrote to me.

Hi Mark,

I saw Chef Lex's video about the salmon. Oh no! You are right to recommend a deba for that kind of job.

Kind regards,
Shiba
I like this response. I had a managerial mentor once tell me that when a subordinate messes up it is important to hold them accountable, but it is also important to ask yourself what else you could have done to prevent the incident. I don’t mean to suggest CKTG did anything wrong here, but it is a good attitude to also look inward when something like this happens.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Nmiller21k wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:56 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am Here is what she wrote me after I offered to repair it for free.

to me

Thank You,
Chef Lex
Which video has 3 million views?
The 34k on instagram
or the 835 on youtube?
Maybe a slight exaggeration.

Kind of like: "I only cut some pin bones!" while showing the video where she chops the head off of a big salmon.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

bruin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:29 am I showed Shiba. Here is what he wrote to me.

Hi Mark,

Kind regards,
Shiba
I like this response. I had a managerial mentor once tell me that when a subordinate messes up it is important to hold them accountable, but it is also important to ask yourself what else you could have done to prevent the incident. I don’t mean to suggest CKTG did anything wrong here, but it is a good attitude to also look inward when something like this happens.
I agree. We're putting chip cards in all Shibata knives now with instructions about no bones or frozen foods. It can't hurt and if it helps avoid situations like this we're thrilled. Also, I'm putting a warning on the item pages.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

She says it was a pin bone but later admits it was a spine. She emphasizes clean towels but displays scale-on fish skin resting on meat... that’ll presumably be served raw. She claims to be a chef but has no clue what to do with salmon scrap. Her towel guard tells me that she’d rather adapt to an uncontrolled technique than learn how to process food without amputating yourself.

It’s clearly your fault that an ootb edge that she has no clue how steep it may or may not be failed as she two hand hammered it like a 10 inch F. Dick. If she got it for that purpose it clearly means it was made for that purpose. How dare you offer to fix it for free.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

to me

Thank You,
Chef Lex
Is she "not extremely happy" with CKTG or with Shibata? Don't really understand how she could be unhappy with the vendor that sold her the knife. Are you (Mark) supposed to screen every buyer of every knife to ask them their intended purposes of their purchases? Of course not, that is absurd! And I don't really understand how she could not be happy with Shibata. Who buys a 2.1 mm thick knife with a crazy thin grind with the expectation of using it for butchery? Clearly Chef Lex did not do any research before her purchase.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:12 am She says it was a pin bone but later admits it was a spine. She emphasizes clean towels but displays scale-on fish skin resting on meat... that’ll presumably be served raw. She claims to be a chef but has no clue what to do with salmon scrap. Her towel guard tells me that she’d rather adapt to an uncontrolled technique than learn how to process food without amputating yourself.

It’s clearly your fault that an ootb edge that she has no clue how steep it may or may not be failed as she two hand hammered it like a 10 inch F. Dick. If she got it for that purpose it clearly means it was made for that purpose. How dare you offer to fix it for free.
+1
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:12 am She claims to be a chef but has no clue what to do with salmon scrap.
Thank you. This was very telling and bothered me immensely, too. Seeing that wastefulness was shameful and that she chose to broadcast it, apparently intending it to come off as cool, shows just how much she still has to learn. I can't think of anything more incongruous with the philosophy of a true sushi chef than this.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.