Heads up Konosuke SKD 240 Pre Sale

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Heads up Konosuke SKD 240 Pre Sale

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

I want to make sure you guys see this. Kosuke offered me these today and I think I'm going to take deposits for them to reserve them since I think they'll be hot commodities. I'll price these knives at an introductory sale price which will be good for anyone that wants to put down a deposit.

The first run of these knives is limited to about 25 blades and I don't want to take full payments and hold your money so instead, I'm going to take $50 deposits to hold your place in line and you can choose the handle (we have 4 choices). Deposits are refundable if you change your mind at any time.

Handle Choices are as follows. I'll make a page with drop downs so you can choose. Prices will vary based on the handle. Price for the first 2 handles will be $389.95. The Khii will be an upcharge as usual.

Standard Ho Octagonal with buffalo horn
Ho D with buffalo horn (same quality and maker as above)
Khii Ebony
Khii Laurel

Reservation link to follow right here.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Banzai_Burrito

Re: Heads up Konosuke SKD 240 Pre Sale

Post by Banzai_Burrito »

*raises hand* I'm a bit dumb. Is this the Sanjo YS line on your website?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Sorry, I'm racing to get out of the office.

Here is the SKD page where you'll see the item.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koskdts.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Mark, do you know how tall these are? The 210s run 47 mm it looks like.

And are they already all taken?
Jeffry B
salemj

Post by salemj »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:22 am Mark, do you know how tall these are? The 210s run 47 mm it looks like.

I'm pretty sure the 240s are similarly oversized in length, but not as much in height. I don't think they exceed 50mm, but hover between 49-50. I have a 210, so I unfortunately cannot measure, but in this sense, I think they are quite similar to the more recent Fujiyama runs (which also feature higher than previous 210s despite having shorter lengths, while sticking to the old standard of 49-51 for the undersized 240s).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:22 am Mark, do you know how tall these are? The 210s run 47 mm it looks like.

Here is my guess at specs but I haven’t seen one yet. Buy it’s a reasonable guess that they’ll be similar to the YS.

Edge Length: 245mm
Height: 49mm

You guys can pre order here to reserve one. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koskdtsgy24p.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Banzai_Burrito

Post by Banzai_Burrito »

Regarding the steel types, what are the main differences between SKD and HD2? I tried a cursory search of HD2 vs SKD but not too much luck
RamenMonster69

Post by RamenMonster69 »

Whats the ho-burnt chestnut. Is it ho wood handle with a burnt chestnut ferrule?

Its not a full burnt chestnut handle like the MB perchance is it? That'd be pretty.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

RamenMonster69 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm Whats the ho-burnt chestnut. Is it ho wood handle with a burnt chestnut ferrule?

Its not a full burnt chestnut handle like the MB perchance is it? That'd be pretty.
Think that is just a typo in the drop down and it's just a burnt chestnut w/horn ferrule.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Got em.

I'll start contacting those of you that pre ordered. Ho octagonals first.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Natural1

Post by Natural1 »

I got one of the 210s a week ago (I actually got the one from Steve's video). I have quite a few highly-regarded Japanese knives and this one is absolutely unreal in performance and fit/finish. You guys will love the 240!
Scott
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Curious... The pre-order site has changed and all the handle options are now showing except the laurel. Do you expect any of these in the 240 length? Rather like that option with this knife...
Organized

Post by Organized »

Looks like a nicer Yoshikane skd. I’m already a huge fan of the YS, pretty sure I’ll like this knife.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Got mine yesterday and gave it whirl. Onions, carrots, tomatoes, grapes, cukes, bell peppers, radishes.

The Shibata AS is the sharpest knife I've ever used by a small but clearly detectable margin. The Konosuke SKD seems to be a twin brother, but it's possibly even sharper. It's OTB edge was not quite on par with the Shibata I owned, which was the best I've ever encountered, so I know the SKD can get even sharper.

The SKD aced some of the toughest tests: cutting thru tomato skins, cleanly chopping bell peppers skin side up, slicing thick carrots lengthwise (effortless) and shaving radishes see-through thin.

Another thing I like to do is use a knife to pit an avocado. I want to see if a blade holds up and avoids chipping, being careful to use good techique to make sure there's nothing I did to contribute to how a knife responds. Some knifes like the Anryu B2 or Tanaka Sekiso can do this all day no problem.

Well, I don't know for sure, I but felt a burr still remaining toward the front of the knife when I checked this morning. Could be that it was there all along, but it could also be the avocado pit caused the edge to bend over. I do think I used the middle of the blade to pit the seed, not the front, but I will have to try again.

In any case, I've always wanted a taller Kono ginsan and the SKD might just fit the bill. Both are on the flatter side and are darn near stainless. Tips of both are extremely fluent.

The SKD is not as meaty as the older Kono ginsan, if you can call it that, and it does seem more delicate (I instinctively chopped with more finesse). It's quite laser like without truly being a laser, is another way to put it.

It's also extremely precise like the ginsan, possibly even more so. Some knives just grip food better than others and cut product exactly as intended. No steering or slippage or sliding off to one side.

The profile is interesting. The flat spot seems to start about an inch from the back of the heel and extend to about 4 inches from the tip, at least on mine. There's some curve at the very back of the knife and then the usual upsweep toward the front. None of my other knives are like that.

Like the ginsan, the SKD is definitely not a rocker. Chopper for sure and great pusher too.

Quite a looker, obviously.

As a comparison, I'd say the SKD most closely resembles my Yahiko Nashiji (Yokishane) and my Tetsuhiro Hammered. The Nashiji is heavier and more of a middle weight. The Tet is a bit meatier too, but shares very similar looks and profile. If I didn't know any better, I'd think the Tetsuhiro smith had a hand in it. Indeed, I wonder what happened to Tetsuhiro.

But I digress. I am going to take off that remaining burr today and strop the SKD on loaded balsa and leather and finish on raw kangeroo. Then I will see what else it can do. Later I will expand this assessment and turn it into a review for the review section.
Jeffry B
salemj

Post by salemj »

jbart65 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:28 am Got mine yesterday and gave it whirl. Onions, carrots, tomatoes, grapes, cukes, bell peppers, radishes.

The Shibata AS is the sharpest knife I've ever used by a small but clearly detectable margin. The Konosuke SKD seems to be a twin brother, but it's possibly even sharper. It's OTB edge was not quite on par with the Shibata I owned, which was the best I've ever encountered, so I know the SKD can get even sharper.

The SKD aced some of the toughest tests: cutting thru tomato skins, cleanly chopping bell peppers skin side up, slicing thick carrots lengthwise (effortless) and shaving radishes see-through thin.

Your experience in this regard fits mine with a recent similar purchase (a different but very similar Yoshikane/Konosuke offering). It was the best out of the box edge I've ever encountered, but it did loose a bit of the eye-popping impressiveness with use (as does ANY edge, in my experience, once it touches the board). This is still an edge that seems like it could last months without a sharpening in my kitchen, though. I also feel like it is unusually delicate in terms of "torquing," but plenty strong, predictable, and reliable in terms of good technique. I've been watching for complaints on the YS line and see almost none in this regard, which makes me think these knives are tougher than they perhaps feel at first given that most posts I've seen have been from pros.

Oddly, my hybrid YS doesn't feel much like a Kono in the hand, and that is weird to me...it has a smaller neck (narrower, not thinner) than most Konos, and the centre of gravity or weight distribution is oddly at the neck, even though the balance point is further up. Finally, because of the neck, the handle seems like an odd fit even though it is virtually identical to other Kono handles on mine. I find all of this quite interesting, and I also think all of it transfers exactly to the SKD model here, although perhaps less so for 240s as it does on my 210. It is amazing to me how much these minor differences translate to major differences in feel during use. This blade really does feel like an outsider among a set that includes blades as diverse as HDs, SS, Fujiyamas old and new, Damascus Konos, and MMs, in all sizes, in terms of balance and feel due to the different neck/handle area and the differences in weight balance.

Don't mean to highjack the thread—just couldn't help sharing a few comments on a related purchase!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Wow, last two posts are great, list of good info, always enjoy it when you guys share your opinions know how.
Last edited by nakneker on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Organized

Post by Organized »

I’m pretty curious how the kono skd compares to the YS in terms of cutting ability.
I already have a 210mm YS, wouldn’t mind a 240mm...YS steel is just so awesome.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Some very good insights and impressions guys, thanks for sharing!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:18 pm Curious... The pre-order site has changed and all the handle options are now showing except the laurel. Do you expect any of these in the 240 length? Rather like that option with this knife...
Here it is: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koskdtsgy24l.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo