Handle conversion?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
KetchupKing

Handle conversion?

Post by KetchupKing »

Hi all, i was just wondering if it is possible to take a wa handled knife, and convert it to western handle? Is this possible of a thing? Or is it made in such a way that conversion is not possible?
taz575

Re: Handle conversion?

Post by taz575 »

Yes. You can make a handle in the shape of a western handle and attach it to a wa tang knife. Or are you looking for a metal bolster, too? I have done conversions wa to western and western to wa, so I know it can be done. The question is in the details.

If you want the metal tang exposed, there is a way to mimic that, too using a 3 piece handle with the middle piece being metal with a cut out to the tang will go in and then the handle scales attached to that.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

KetchupKing wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm Hi all, i was just wondering if it is possible to take a wa handled knife, and convert it to western handle? Is this possible of a thing? Or is it made in such a way that conversion is not possible?
I think someone wants a Western HD Petty really badly ;)
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

mauichef wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 pm
KetchupKing wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:30 pm Hi all, i was just wondering if it is possible to take a wa handled knife, and convert it to western handle? Is this possible of a thing? Or is it made in such a way that conversion is not possible?
I think someone wants a Western HD Petty really badly ;)
Hahhahaha, saw classifieds hm? Yes, i love wa handled knoves dont get me wrong, but for smaller knives i can’t deny the slimness of those western handles and how it feels in hand. However, if done a lot smaller (circumference), i have found it hasnt been so bad(like my shibata ko-bunka. But yea, if at all possible to but a 150mm wa petty and just convert it into western pakka handle?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Absolutely possible. Just cannot be fill tang. Just shape the handle like a western handle. Don Nguyen, Dave Martell, Michael Rader etc...
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:30 pm Absolutely possible. Just cannot be fill tang. Just shape the handle like a western handle. Don Nguyen, Dave Martell, Michael Rader etc...
What are the names at the end referring to. Sorry if sounds trivial.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

KetchupKing wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 pm
Kalaeb wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:30 pm Absolutely possible. Just cannot be fill tang. Just shape the handle like a western handle. Don Nguyen, Dave Martell, Michael Rader etc...
These are some makers who use hidden tang western handles in their designs.
I actually just had a full tang western changed to an integral bolster Wa by our very own Tim Johnson. I'm pretty sure he can reverse the process. Carter Hopkins is another wonderful handle maker who has done this kind of work a lot.
Adam Marr used to make the coolest hidden tang western handles.
KetchupKing

Post by KetchupKing »

mauichef wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:41 pm
KetchupKing wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:40 pm
These are some makers who use hidden tang western handles in their designs.
I actually just had a full tang western changed to an integral bolster Wa by our very own Tim Johnson. I'm pretty sure he can reverse the process. Carter Hopkins is another wonderful handle maker who has done this kind of work a lot.
Adam Marr used to make the coolest hidden tang western handles.
Heard that. Thank guys, so reaxhing out to one of them on here? Or?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jobone

Post by jobone »

When making a wa handle, you can use scales instead of a block. Using a thinner middle piece, scales and some modifications to the shape, you can get close to what you want.

I think Carter Hopkins would be a good contact