Kitchen renovation, butcher block idea

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
t3chi3

Kitchen renovation, butcher block idea

Post by t3chi3 »

Hey all,

This home renovation has been a nightmare, going on since last June. Fired one very bad contractor before the holidays and now have the best one I've ever met and should have selected in the first place.

They FINALLY STARTED installing the cabinets today, yeah! My idea was to sink a boos block into the quartz countertop to hold it in place at the sides and rear, you can slide it out forward to clean or replace. Anyone ever seen or done this?

I got the idea a really long time ago when this project started, now I'm white haired. We stayed in a Scottish castle last October and one of the kitchens had this block setup so I think this isn't too left field.

Thanks,
Sean
Bob Z

Re: Kitchen renovation, butcher block idea

Post by Bob Z »

HI Sean; Ive seen alot of homes in my occupation but never anything like that. My first thought would be that you will be always cleaning it cause debris will be getting inside the edges of its cutout. After you use it for some time its going to look "used" which may detract from your new kitchens beauty. But its your kitchen and if that struck your fancy, go for it. I might keep an extra piece of your countertop stashed away in case you decide to revert back to a regular counter.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Good idea on a backup plan, thanks. I did see that debris collected in the cracks for the one in Scotland, but that one was flush. I was going to let the board protrude upward, that way I can slide things into the sink and at the back I'll have a hole in the counter with a trash bin below. I think this way the debris would have a tendency to fall away from the board onto the counter.

What I don't want is a repeat of my last kitchen, the board slid around way too much, needed to use a towel underneath, which always became gross inside of a week.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Setting the board up so that it sits proud is a good idea from a couple of perspectives I think. Firstly it allows you to resurface it periodically if it gets too manky. Secondly if you make the board bigger (+10mm maybe) than the cutout and rebate the board then anything you scrape off it should fall clear of any gaps, keeping things clean, hygienic & tidy.

Just a thought
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

It sounds nice but you will be limited to the board dimensions and continual cleaning.
Use shelf liner under your board to match your cabinets; they come in various colors and do a great job holding your board in place.

https://gorillagrip.com/products/the-or ... helf-liner

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I wouldn't do it. I think over time you'd grow to regret it. There may be times when the board is just in the way or you want the board out of your way especially if it's not flush with the counter.
This is all without really knowing your kitchen layout though, if the board will always be mainly isolated except when cooking it might not be a bad idea.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

maybe something like this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/f1/22 ... 0df304.jpg

I wouldn't want the big hole but maybe have the garbage on the side.

This is the style I have, I really don't use them just a top board

t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

[quote=gladius post_id=104152 time=1584572273 user_id=157]
It sounds nice but you will be limited to the board dimensions and continual cleaning.
Use shelf liner under your board to match your cabinets; they come in various colors and do a great job holding your board in place.

https://gorillagrip.com/products/the-or ... helf-liner

I'll take a look, thanks.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Here is the design, I was planning on putting the board on the island opposite the window, but I can also work next to the range.
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 8.45.22 AM.png
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

t3chi3 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 am Here is the design, I was planning on putting the board on the island opposite the window, but I can also work next to the range.
What range are you getting? (I know this is off topic, sorry)
salemj

Post by salemj »

With a setup like that, I would not create a designated board space by sacrificing counters.

First, although you have a sink on the island, the other space is between your sink and the stove, which is more ideal for many preps. You'll want to be able to choose one or the other.

Second, when you bake or do larger cooking projects, having cooling space, mise en place space, or transfer space is key. Islands are terrific for this. But you've already given up a middle portion of your island with a sink, and building out another portion with a cutting board gives more uneven space that is hard to clean and hard to access and use quickly for heavy objects, large objects, etc. (Goodbye homemade pasta, for example.) For example: you're cooking a turkey. You pull it from the oven and have to set it somewhere, but then you need a place for a big, dripping turkey (NOT your build in block!), AND a place for the roasting pan, AND a place for a bowl or whatever to transfer the drippings, AND a place for your other prep, etc. Have a long, uninterrupted island is great for this, but have several small, distinct spaces that are not next to each other is much less helpful.

Third, above it has already been mentioned regarding cleaning and debris.

Fourth, moisture kills cutting boards. So every time you wash, you'll have to have ANOTHER place for the board where it can dry in the open air before returning it to its spot, anyway.

Fifth: if I had a place for a board next to a sink (you have TWO), I'd want to be able to lift and dust off the board instantly, without having to pull it out of a position. Think bread crumbs. Lifting a board next to a sink carefully will spill almost no crumbs, but pulling it out of a recess will spill them all over. Same goes for seeds from peppers, liquid from cantaloupe or tomatoes or strawberries, and so on.

Sixth, although you mention a hole, anyone who has worked next to a trashcan knows that it is not nice to have an open trash vessel next to a work space. Smell happen fast, and they are disruptive and gross. You'll want to be careful about its access, etc.

I use what Gladius recommended and I've never had issues. It has the bonus of allowing more circulation than a towel, too, and being much thinner and flatter.

I do see how it is a cool idea. What I've seen and I think is better is to have a space for a pull-out cart that slides UNDER your counter. You sacrifice some cabinet space, but you can roll out the block-covered cart if you need an extra cutting space, put it anywhere (usually next to the stove or sink), and then roll it back under after clean up. You don't need this, but if you're looking for something that kinda slides out of the way or has a cool, integrated feel, it is a good option.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Drewski wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:47 am
t3chi3 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 am Here is the design, I was planning on putting the board on the island opposite the window, but I can also work next to the range.
I got the Bluestar Platinum 48
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

salemj wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 am With a setup like that, I would not create a designated board space by sacrificing counters.

First, although you have a sink on the island, the other space is between your sink and the stove, which is more ideal for many preps. You'll want to be able to choose one or the other.

Second, when you bake or do larger cooking projects, having cooling space, mise en place space, or transfer space is key. Islands are terrific for this. But you've already given up a middle portion of your island with a sink, and building out another portion with a cutting board gives more uneven space that is hard to clean and hard to access and use quickly for heavy objects, large objects, etc. (Goodbye homemade pasta, for example.) For example: you're cooking a turkey. You pull it from the oven and have to set it somewhere, but then you need a place for a big, dripping turkey (NOT your build in block!), AND a place for the roasting pan, AND a place for a bowl or whatever to transfer the drippings, AND a place for your other prep, etc. Have a long, uninterrupted island is great for this, but have several small, distinct spaces that are not next to each other is much less helpful.

Third, above it has already been mentioned regarding cleaning and debris.

Fourth, moisture kills cutting boards. So every time you wash, you'll have to have ANOTHER place for the board where it can dry in the open air before returning it to its spot, anyway.

Fifth: if I had a place for a board next to a sink (you have TWO), I'd want to be able to lift and dust off the board instantly, without having to pull it out of a position. Think bread crumbs. Lifting a board next to a sink carefully will spill almost no crumbs, but pulling it out of a recess will spill them all over. Same goes for seeds from peppers, liquid from cantaloupe or tomatoes or strawberries, and so on.

Sixth, although you mention a hole, anyone who has worked next to a trashcan knows that it is not nice to have an open trash vessel next to a work space. Smell happen fast, and they are disruptive and gross. You'll want to be careful about its access, etc.

I use what Gladius recommended and I've never had issues. It has the bonus of allowing more circulation than a towel, too, and being much thinner and flatter.

I do see how it is a cool idea. What I've seen and I think is better is to have a space for a pull-out cart that slides UNDER your counter. You sacrifice some cabinet space, but you can roll out the block-covered cart if you need an extra cutting space, put it anywhere (usually next to the stove or sink), and then roll it back under after clean up. You don't need this, but if you're looking for something that kinda slides out of the way or has a cool, integrated feel, it is a good option.
I think I'm talked out of this idea, thanks.

My wife and our kitchen designer put the sink where it is, in relationship to the cabinets we're already having installed, probably getting finished today. I lost track of the ball and it's too late, but I wanted the cutting board across from the stove, now I'm a tad screwed.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

With that layout I guess most of the prep is going to happen between the sink and stove, I'd skip the built in board in the island. Looks like it'd be more of a hassle and not that convenient in the end. I'd have a nice board or two that can be put where I need them when I need them and put away or moved when I don't.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:32 pm With that layout I guess most of the prep is going to happen between the sink and stove, I'd skip the built in board in the island. Looks like it'd be more of a hassle and not that convenient in the end. I'd have a nice board or two that can be put where I need them when I need them and put away or moved when I don't.
That was my pattern before, I have two big boos boards.
salemj

Post by salemj »

t3chi3 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm
salemj wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:55 am
I think I'm talked out of this idea, thanks.

My wife and our kitchen designer put the sink where it is, in relationship to the cabinets we're already having installed, probably getting finished today. I lost track of the ball and it's too late, but I wanted the cutting board across from the stove, now I'm a tad screwed.
I think there are advantages to all sorts of placements, especially depending on what you cook most. Like, if I were a baker, I would not want a sink the island, but being who I actually am, I've always dreamed of not only having an island, but one with a sink and room for a cutting board! I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are so very many factors that go into placement in renovations, from where windows are to the direction and placement of lights and electric to plumbing and so on. I think it is great that you've gotten so much of what you want, and with the layout you shared, you'll have no problem with prepping whatever you want—it looks like a great layout to me, and I think leaving the options open regarding the cutting board rather than building it in with just make it that much easier to adapt as you get used to the change in other aspects of the kitchen, etc.

It's all exciting—I'm glad the reno is finally underway for you in real terms (with cabinets arriving, etc).
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Appliances, except for the stove go in today, going to be a week for countertops. I love my new contractor.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

t3chi3 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 pm
Wow! (face with heart eyes)
t3chi3

Post by t3chi3 »

Drewski wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:29 am
t3chi3 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:50 pm

Wow! (face with heart eyes)
I sold a 48" Viking range that I'm NOT going to miss. Click click click <<nofire>> click click
even91

Post by even91 »

No wonder butcher-block countertops are a constant in both cozy country cottages as well as rustic farmhouses. The surface, composed of wooden boards assembled, is warmer and more inviting than other materials and never goes out of style. The butcher-block, taken directly from nature, is biodegradable and eco-friendly — and it brings a bit of an earthy element into any kitchen.