Question for Tanaka Ironwood Experts

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
MisterJames

Question for Tanaka Ironwood Experts

Post by MisterJames »

If I remember correctly, I bought this Tanaka Ironwood Nakiri from Koki at JCK around 15 years ago. It did not come in a Kiri wood box. It came in the box that is partially visible in the second picture.

The damascus pattern is deeply etched and 3 dimensional.

Is this a father or son version?

Tanaka 1.jpg

Tanaka 2.jpg

James

pd7077

Re: Question for Tanaka Ironwood Experts

Post by pd7077 »

I wouldn’t consider myself an expert, but I have had both a Kazuyuki and Shigeki (I kept the Kaz)..and I actually compared a few of each side-by-side a few days ago. I’ve also talked to a handful of people that have had both, and the consensus that we came up with is that it can sometimes be difficult to tell which is which. What we did agree on was that the Damascus pattern of the cladding can be a clue. Kaz cladding tends to have more waves and swirls at/near the lamination line. Shigeki, on the other hand, seems to show more parallel lines, and the lamination line itself is a bit straighter. The lack of kanji means nothing; both my Kaz and former Shigeki have/had no kanji. The degree of contrast working the cladding means nothing; I have seen Shigeki cladding that has had deep contrast and others that had significantly less. The grind can be a clue (the Kaz’s that I’ve seen firsthand have been relatively thinner than the Shigeki’s I’ve compared them too), but that really only helps if you’ve seen both.

Based on what I have seen, my guess would be that yours is a Kaz. Also, my Kaz didn’t come in a kiri box. I did, however, purchase a Tanaka Ironwood kiri box because I’m a sucker for kiri boxes 🤷🏻‍♂️
--- Steve

MisterJames

Post by MisterJames »

pd7077 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:09 pm
I wouldn’t consider myself an expert, but I have had both a Kazuyuki and Shigeki (I kept the Kaz)..and I actually compared a few of each side-by-side a few days ago. I’ve also talked to a handful of people that have had both, and the consensus that we came up with is that it can sometimes be difficult to tell which is which. What we did agree on was that the Damascus pattern of the cladding can be a clue. Kaz cladding tends to have more waves and swirls at/near the lamination line. Shigeki, on the other hand, seems to show more parallel lines, and the lamination line itself is a bit straighter. The lack of kanji means nothing; both my Kaz and former Shigeki have/had no kanji. The degree of contrast working the cladding means nothing; I have seen Shigeki cladding that has had deep contrast and others that had significantly less. The grind can be a clue (the Kaz’s that I’ve seen firsthand have been relatively thinner than the Shigeki’s I’ve compared them too), but that really only helps if you’ve seen both.

Based on what I have seen, my guess would be that yours is a Kaz. Also, my Kaz didn’t come in a kiri box. I did, however, purchase a Tanaka Ironwood kiri box because I’m a sucker for kiri boxes 🤷🏻‍♂️
Steve,

Thank you for your response. Assuming that I remember correctly the description for that nakiri on JCK website when I purchased it, I also believe it was a Kazuyuki blade.

I also like those kiri boxes. I guess that is why I have so many Takeshi Saji Ironwood R-2s!

James
Last edited by MisterJames on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Steve said what I’ve learned in a one week crash course. Input came from multiple guys who have owned them both. My vote would be a Kazuyuki too. Neat knife! It’s hard to tell them apart, which speaks to the value of both. I like that deep etch, food release is good huh?
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

taz575

Post by taz575 »

I have a Tanaka R2 gyuto that is fairly deeply etched. I find more drag cutting through some food items (like onions) where I feel the layers in the steel and the layers in the onions interacting as I cut and causing more friction that I don't notice with smooth sided blades. Food release varies depending on what you are cutting, too. My Tanaka R2 is very thin, so there is less convexing to the sides of the blade as well than the Sekiso series.

arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Most people know far more than me but here is a photo of mine. I definitely know that it is a Shigeki knife as I haven’t had it that long and I am the first owner.

Hope this helps.

Best

Gareth

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Yeah Gareth, the cladding lines on the blade road pretty much tell the story on yours. Pretty straight where as a Kazuyuki those lines tend to be more "wavy" or distorted.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I just realized that I did take photos of my 270 Kaz along side a 270 Shigeki. Luckily, I took choil shots as well. I hope this helps.

--- Steve

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

That helps Steve, pretty much shows the differences that were explained to me.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Great pictures Steve.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have always been told mine is a Shigeki but to be honest, now I don't know. It has more waves than Arthur's and not as much as Steve's. At the end of the day it cuts like a champ regardless of who forged it.
[img][/img

As for the OP, I guess I would lean toward non Shigeki

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 am
I have always been told mine is a Shigeki but to be honest, now I don't know. It has more waves than Arthur's and not as much as Steve's...
When you through Sean's into the mix next to Arthur's and Steve's yours leans more Kazuyuki to me but I am definitely not an authority here.

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

If you bought it 15 years ago it was Shigeki’s dad. Shigeki was working for Kamo san in Takefu Village as an apprentice at that time I believe.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html