Seeing as everyone here has a lot more experience....any advice?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Hmirchev

Seeing as everyone here has a lot more experience....any advice?

Post by Hmirchev »

Hi everyone,

As a quick introduction, I'd say that im currently 24 (almost 25) years old, currently living in Europe. I studied culinary arts 3.5 years ago (at 21 y.o.) in the states and graduated, after which I found myself an internship in a Michelin-star restaurant in Denmark. After the internship, I returned to my home country and started working as a Chef de Partie in a fine dining restaurant, which was part of Relaix & Chateaux. Due to some difficulties with working with the then-sous chef, now head-chef of that restaurant, I began work in another restaurant owned by the same executive chef (who is very famous in my country). Anyway, I started as a Garde Manger Chef de Partie in his cocktail-bistro, then became Sous Chef, and now as the current head chef in leaving, I'm getting promoted to be the new head chef. Now, this place is huge, 120 seats inside and 40 seats outside. Offering anything from a Caesar salad to french fries, to wursts, to a beef tenderloin steak. Anyways, as my experience is quite lacking, I feel like i wont do as good of a job as they expect, although I'm very good at what I do....maybe I'm mentally limiting myself. Do you have any advice for a young guy, two years into his career and already being placed in a head chef role in a huge restaurant doing a daily lunch menu, a la carte, and sunday brunch menu? What should I look out for and what should I strive to improve in myself when I step up to the plate? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)