Anryu AS 210 Gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Louisssss

Anryu AS 210 Gyuto

Post by Louisssss »

Just picked up this gyuto on a whim since it came back in stock briefly. I was also considering the Anryu B2 210 Gyuto with Migaki finish, but who knows when that'll be in stock.

For $200, What other carbon gyuto would you guys consider? How do you guys feel about this Anryu AS Gyuto w/ Kurouchi Hammered finish?

It'll accompany a Masamoto SW-3124, Yoshihiro AS 210 Gyuto (KU Finish), Shun Premier Kiritsuke, Wusthof Classic 6in + 8in Chef. Aritsugu Blue 150 Petty.
delmar

Re: Anryu AS 210 Gyuto

Post by delmar »

Maybe move this over to knife recommendation pages?
delmar

Post by delmar »

To answer your question - the anryus are really good bang for the buck knives. Katsushige-san knows his craft and has been at it many, many decades. The B2 hammered probably has the most fans, but I also really like the AS KU.

In KU AS 200 or under, I'd look to the Moritaka and Harukaze Morado. The grind looks a bit low to me on the Morado, but I can work with that for KU AS tsuchime 210mm gyuto for $150.
Louisssss

Post by Louisssss »

Do you guys think Anryu-San had his hands on my particular knife at all? If so, what do you think he did as part of the knife making process?
delmar

Post by delmar »

Yes, forging at least. He's had apprentices. I think Takumi Ikeda was one. Its always a bit different shop to shop, but it has always seemed to me that the named Smith does the forging (where applicable) and heat treat at a minimum. Mark at CKTG has been to Takefu and knows the makers well...he'd know.
Louisssss

Post by Louisssss »

@delmar, do you know if he checks these boards actively?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Mark is on the forum, but it's going to depend some on the thread and I know they have been very busy in the shop lately. You could certainly email him.

The 240 from the same line as yours was my first gyuto, and I am very happy with it. It is thin and light for a 240, and I really like how it cuts, and it looks great. Anryu's obvious commitment to keeping this tradition alive into the future is a huge added bonus for me; I just respect that kind of work tremendously.

In the few months I've been on the forum I've seen lot of appreciation for Anryu's B2 line as delmar mentions and my friend has the santoku and it's really a great knife. But I think the AS line is right up there and I I'm very glad to have one.
David
delmar

Post by delmar »

1. Email Mark. He is good about responding when time permits.
2. Check out the Anryu video on knifewear.com, which I think came from a production called Springhammer.
turko

Post by turko »

+1 on emailing. He usually responds same or next day.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Louisssss wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:44 pm Do you guys think Anryu-San had his hands on my particular knife at all? If so, what do you think he did as part of the knife making process?
Anryu is still working but he's elderly and slowing down. I'm not sure how many hours he's doing now but Shiba told me that starting next year "Anryu is going to become the employee and Ikeda is going to become the boss".

This is common in my little world where mostly sons take over for their fathers and the fathers keep working in a lesser role as employees of the company. When they don't have a son they will often adopt their best employee and hand over the business to them. Retirement is rare unless they become physically unable to do anything at work. Daughters are rarely handed the Keyes to the business but it's not unheard of. Kikuichi and Misuzu are examples of daughters taking over the family business or sharing equally in the operation.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

I hope there’s 240mm one available so I can buy
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

We're getting more soon.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Miles

Post by Miles »

I really like my AS nakiri and my B2 honesuki & 240. I’ve read that Anryu’s are a great entry point knife but I think they’re just great knives. They have stoutness and are pretty thin behind the edge. Maybe not Ferrari’s but the value is super high. I might have to buy an AS 240 to compare.
Louisssss

Post by Louisssss »

is my Kurouchi finish supposed to be reacting and patina blue? looks nice though...
20200625_173544.jpg
20200625_173519.jpg
20200625_173512.jpg
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Even stainless cladding sometimes patinas, and "stainless" is a relative term. So it's normal, but if the ku finish is intact it's less likely.

I have had this knife in the 240 since November and used it frequently, and the kurouchi has not developed a patina. But it looks from your pics as if some of your kurouchi is wearing off a bit. How long have you had the knife and what do you use to wash/wipe it? You want to use a soft cloth or plain sponge (I rinse first) and wash and wipe right after a series of cuts and between ingredients.

Assuming you're doing all that it looks fine, nice. Those blues always add character.
David
Louisssss

Post by Louisssss »

d_rap wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:04 pm Even stainless cladding sometimes patinas, and "stainless" is a relative term. So it's normal, but if the ku finish is intact it's less likely.

I have had this knife in the 240 since November and used it frequently, and the kurouchi has not developed a patina. But it looks from your pics as if some of your kurouchi is wearing off a bit. How long have you had the knife and what do you use to wash/wipe it? You want to use a soft cloth or plain sponge (I rinse first) and wash and wipe right after a series of cuts and between ingredients.

Assuming you're doing all that it looks fine, nice. Those blues always add character.
i've had it since 6/6/20. Used it for 3 x cooked meats and some random onions/garlic/green veggies.

I only use the yellow side of the sponge with dish soap to wash. wipe dry with a cotton ikea towel after. The longest its been wet was yesterday after slicing a steak, i left the juices on it for about 15 minutes. The pics were taken this afternoon.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Cool, well yeah, steak juices...there you go. Plenty here suggest that you immediately rinse and or wipe the knife but you're good.

And of course ku is going to be rustic and uneven a bit.

Enjoy, I love this knife.
David
Louisssss

Post by Louisssss »

d_rap wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:54 pm Cool, well yeah, steak juices...there you go. Plenty here suggest that you immediately rinse and or wipe the knife but you're good.

And of course ku is going to be rustic and uneven a bit.

Enjoy, I love this knife.
I was just thinking that the kurouchi finish was there to prevent rust / patina.

The knife is amazing to use. I've rounded and polished the spine and choil to 3k and it improved from how it arrived. Will be stripping it or hitting it with the Shapton 2k or 5k in a couple of weeks. Which would u guys suggest?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Louisssss wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:45 pm The knife is amazing to use. I've rounded and polished the spine and choil to 3k and it improved from how it arrived. Will be stripping it or hitting it with the Shapton 2k or 5k in a couple of weeks. Which would u guys suggest?
My one minor critique of my 240 OOTB was and still is the spine and choil: thanks for the encouragement and glad you got good results.

You'll get lots of sharpening advice here. Here's my quick 2 cents. Start using a new knife like this one and if it's cutting almost to your liking and you just want to perfect the edge, sure, strop and see where it gets you. My Anryu was decent, but I quickly decided it could really be better, so I sharpened it. And once you decide to actually sharpen the knife, depending what you have on hand for stones, start with a lower grit, get a small even burr, gently work it off, and then refine the edge on the 2K and 5K. It's new, it's fairly sharp, so you should be able to quickly get a burr/re-apex the knife on say a 1K. If you've got one, that's where I'd start.

But if you've just got a 2 and a 5 to work with, run it through both, and take the time on the 2 to get a bit of a burr so you can have the satisfaction and performance of a fresh edge. I was able to get mine significantly sharper easily using this basic approach.
David
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

The Anryus I've bought were all fine OTB. I almost always run a knife with a strop first to see how it cuts before going to any other extreme.