Looking for a shallow egg pan

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Rufus Leaking

Looking for a shallow egg pan

Post by Rufus Leaking »

I’m looking for a pan -10”- 12” with very shallow sides, like a crepe pan specifically for frying eggs. My present kitchen is pretty well set up - I have about 10 all clad pieces that suffice, but flipping eggs over easy is a task because the spatula needs to overcome the pan sides. I can’t believe I’ve been putting up with this for so long. I found a deBuyer 10.25” crepe pan mineral B steel pan for $55, and I see nothing wrong with it, I can make a leather handle cover, but I’m wondering if anyone has any other recommendations. Staub makes an enamel version of this for $140, but the wooden handle scares me; not out of any irrational fear of combustion, I just don’t like wooden handles. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Kalaeb

Re: Looking for a shallow egg pan

Post by Kalaeb »

For over easy, a non stick is the only way to go:https://www.webstaurantstore.com/choice ... PANNS.html

I never used a spat when I was in professional kitchens, just a good amount of oil and a light wrist flick, but with 10 inch diameter you should be able to get a spat in there.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I would actually avoid cooking eggs on something with shallow sides if you are using a good deal of fat (i.e., not non-stick): you'll get lots of splatter all over the place, especially if you are flipping the eggs for over-easy.

Yeah, I guess like Kalaeb I'm wondering what the issue is here. I've never struggled with my all-clad saute pan—indeed, all-clads have a wide-angle slope which makes it all the easier to get a spatula in there (this is assuming you are using an all-clad skillet and not an omelette pan).

You don't mention the spatula, but I would actually much sooner invest in a plastic spatula than a new pan. I have a nylon spatula that is very thin, heat-resistant, and hard, but has just enough flex that it easily gets under an egg at the edge of a skillet. Mind you, I'm not talking kitchen-aid type crap that is 2mm thick with slots; I'm talking something tapered with a sub-.5mm edge like this:

Make sure to get nylon, not silicone.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I picked up this on Amazon by scanpan. Works great for crêpes etc. Flipping crêpes takes some practice. My first few wound up stuck to the wall :( The pan surface has stayed intact.

Scanpan Classic 10-Inch Crepe Pan on Amazon

Price is higher than I remember paying for it. Those shallow sides help.

Ken
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Several sources probably have this.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/deme ... gL0B_D_BwE

I think it’s perfect for your request. Great price, quality, thick gauge and no rivets. You can do more than eggs on this too.
Last edited by stevem627 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gladius

Post by gladius »

That deBuyer should work well. I have the Matfer which is my egg go-to pan. I use a fat pat of ghee for my three egg omelettes and no issues with splatter. It is rather light weight too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQKVX ... psc=1&th=1
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

steve627- Thank you. That’s the pan I lacked the proper description of- thank you guys!
TheVincenzo

Post by TheVincenzo »

I use a lodge 10.5" round griddle. Hard to beat when the are almost always less the $20.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Pre-Se ... le/5969629
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I like Scanpan nonstick for eggs but even though their nonstick coating is pretty durable, the pans are also pricey. Even when they go on sale, they don't really go on sale. I've never used a spatula for over-easy eggs with mine but I imagine it would work. I just flip the eggs with a shake of the pan because the slope of the Scanpan's sides makes that pretty easy, even for a home cook like myself.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Buy a cheapie non stick aluminum from a restaurant supply.

Spending any more on an egg pan is silly
The other option is use lots of butter and baste the eggs rather than flipping (my preferred method)
delmar

Post by delmar »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 pm I like Scanpan nonstick for eggs but even though their nonstick coating is pretty durable, the pans are also pricey. Even when they go on sale, they don't really go on sale. I've never used a spatula for over-easy eggs with mine but I imagine it would work. I just flip the eggs with a shake of the pan because the slope of the Scanpan's sides makes that pretty easy, even for a home cook like myself.
So, just a warning to Scanpan users - I have had Scanpan USA fail to honor their warranty for handle loosening/failures on two CLASSIC Scanpans a few years ago. They advertise a very comprehensive no-questions-asked warranty but did not live up to it. I had returned two pans prior for which they did honor the warranty. But then they said no to #3 and #4 without any explanation as to why they did prior but not then. I bought from a prominent mom and pop brick and mortar...I told them what happened, and they told me they had just recently discontinued the line for same reason - no longer honoring printed warranty.

Caveat emptor.

I am not in the business of bad mouthing products unless I have personal knowledge and experience with product. If I am passing along info learned from another, I clearly label it as anecdotal. But not here. I got burned to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

I can unequivocally say the pans did not get abused and I have a normal NG residential Jenn Air then LG cooktop. Nothing crazy high BTU or anything like that. The handles just started to loosen and slowly come off the pan sides, and these had no tightening screws. I've seen Scan Pan posts in the past and largely kept quiet, but feel compelled to chip in here and warn.

I have green pan brand (both branded and sur la table rebrand) that have lasted much longer, at a fraction of the cost, and work just as well.

For eggs, a small matfer carbon steel works great for me.
Last edited by delmar on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie_suburban

delmar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:37 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:25 pm I like Scanpan nonstick for eggs but even though their nonstick coating is pretty durable, the pans are also pricey. Even when they go on sale, they don't really go on sale. I've never used a spatula for over-easy eggs with mine but I imagine it would work. I just flip the eggs with a shake of the pan because the slope of the Scanpan's sides makes that pretty easy, even for a home cook like myself.
So, just a warning to Scanpan users - I have had Scanpan USA fail to honor their warranty for handle loosening/failures on two pans a few years ago. They advertise a very comprehensive no-questions-asked warranty but did not live up to it. I had returned two pans prior for which they did honor the warranty. But then they said no to #3 and #4 without any explanation as to why they did prior but not then. I bought from a prominent mom and pop brick and mortar...I told them what happened, and they told me they had just recently discontinued the line for same reason - no longer honoring printed warranty.

Caveat emptor.

I am not in the business of bad mouthing products unless I have personal knowledge and experience with product. If I am passing along info learned from another, I clearly label it as anecdotal. But not here. I got burned to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

I can unequivocally say the pans did not get abused and I have a normal NG residential Jenn Air then LG cooktop. Nothing crazy high BTU or anything like that. The handles just started to loosen and slowly come off the pan sides, and these had no tightening screws. I've seen Scan Pan posts in the past and largely kept quiet, but feel compelled to chip in here and warn.
I have a rotation of 6 Professional Nonstick Scanpans (2 x 12.5", 2 x 10.25" 2 x 8"), the newest of which I've owned since 2014. In that time, not only have I had nothing like you what describe happen, I've seen virtually zero degradation in any way with any of them, not even to their nonstick surfaces. This actually surprised me because, nonstick surfaces are not forever and it's the more careless cooks in our house that use them. In any case, I've found them to be durable and reliable beyond any reasonable expectation.

But that's neither here nor there if the company isn't honoring their warranties. I'm really glad you posted this because should any of mine fail and need to be replaced, I will definitely be considering alternatives. Just because I haven't needed to invoke the warranties doesn't mean that I want to do business with a company that doesn't honor its word.
=R=
delmar

Post by delmar »

Hey Ronnie - I am truly glad you have had positive experiences with Scanpan, something the readers should definitely consider when reviewing this thread.

I did hit Google Shopping to see which line I had, and it was the Classic line. I'll amend my post to clearly state that.

The beauty of a forum where people will invest their time to help others...gained knowledge of other's experiences, good and bad.

Cheers. Long live CKTG Forum.
ronnie_suburban

delmar wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:35 pm Hey Ronnie - I am truly glad you have had positive experiences with Scanpan, something the readers should definitely consider when reviewing this thread.

I did hit Google Shopping to see which line I had, and it was the Classic line. I'll amend my post to clearly state that.

The beauty of a forum where people will invest their time to help others...gained knowledge of other's experiences, good and bad.

Cheers. Long live CKTG Forum.
Amen to that. Now, who wants an omelet? :D
=R=
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

salemj wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:50 pm I would actually avoid cooking eggs on something with shallow sides if you are using a good deal of fat (i.e., not non-stick): you'll get lots of splatter all over the place, especially if you are flipping the eggs for over-easy.

Yeah, I guess like Kalaeb I'm wondering what the issue is here. I've never struggled with my all-clad saute pan—indeed, all-clads have a wide-angle slope which makes it all the easier to get a spatula in there (this is assuming you are using an all-clad skillet and not an omelette pan).

You don't mention the spatula, but I would actually much sooner invest in a plastic spatula than a new pan. I have a nylon spatula that is very thin, heat-resistant, and hard, but has just enough flex that it easily gets under an egg at the edge of a skillet. Mind you, I'm not talking kitchen-aid type crap that is 2mm thick with slots; I'm talking something tapered with a sub-.5mm edge like this

Make sure to get nylon, not silicone.
I picked up one of these based on your rec, Joe. You prefer nylon to silicone because it's stiffer?
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ive had nothing but good luck with my scanpans BUT your warranty problems and excellent post will make me cautious and make me look elsewhere.
Ken
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

I won't get into shapes but I'd love to say a word about materials.

It's been years since I used a nonstick pan. Long ago I bought a DeBuyer 10" carbon steel pan and the material made all the difference. I now have the DeBuyer and a little collection of Blu Skillet Ironware.

I thought of this thread earlier today. I was making an effort to go through a stack of old Gourmet magazines and in a 2006 edition I found an article about egg cooking. The author made a case for using carbon steel rather than nonstick. She did like the nonstick pans, but felt that the texture of the cooked eggs would be a little tougher and not as light with the nonstick. Her reasoning--the nonstick could not get as hot as iron or steel. Thought I would toss that out for you.

She felt that any sloping 24cm (9 1/2") pan would be good.

Anyway, I'm shamelessly in love with my carbon steel for eggs....