Hi-soft cutting boards

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
dafox

Hi-soft cutting boards

Post by dafox »

Ive tried a few types of boards. The thick wood boards dont work for me, they are too tall on my tall counter so that when I rock or make tip slices my arm and shoulder are uncomfortably high and longer knife handles hit the back of my arm. So, I'm looking for a high quality thin board. The thin wood boards seem too prone to warping. That leaves me with plastic or rubber boards. I have an akergy to rubber so Sanituff is out. I am currently using an Oxo poly board but i would like to find a board that will be beyter on my knives. What have been your experiences with Hi-soft boards?
gladius

Re: Hi-soft cutting boards

Post by gladius »

I like Hi-Soft and is my most used, excellent board and easy on edges.
Hinoki boards are great choices as well, very light too. You wet them before use to resist staining. The wood very fragrant and resistant to bacteria.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohicubo16x9.html
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=japanese+hino ... 1__&ia=web
Last edited by gladius on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dafox

Post by dafox »

gladius wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:48 am I like Hi-Soft and is my most used, excellent board and easy on edges.
Hinoki boards are great choices as well, very light too.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohicubo16x9.html
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=japanese+hino ... 1__&ia=web
Thanks, the Hinoki boards seem to stain more than I want.
I understand the Hi-soft is easy on the knife edge but do the tips or edges ever dig in?
I am new to Jknives and experienced my first micro chip the other day, not sure what happened. May have been rocking with my Ginga Swedish stainless thin gyuto on my poly board.
Have been trying to push cut more but it's so easy to just rock, pivoting a bit on the front part of the blade.
What size board do you have? The dimensions are a bit odd. Amazon has an assortment and Korin has a unique size that is less narrow.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Hi-Soft also stains (I grow & eat allot of beets). I rarely dig into the board, any board but it can happen. I got my Hi-Soft from Korin, the Hi-Soft is 16 x 11.5 x 1 and the Hinoki is 16 x 11 x 1/2.
dafox

Post by dafox »

gladius wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm Hi-Soft also stains (I grow & eat allot of beets). I rarely dig into the board, any board but it can happen. I got my Hi-Soft from Korin, the Hi-Soft is 16 x 11.5 x 1 and the Hinoki is 16 x 11 x 1/2.
Thanks, think I'm going to give one a try.
Brontes

Post by Brontes »

My Hinoki boards are not stained. They need to be very wet. I soak mine before use. They also do not warp as they are quarter sawn.
dafox

Post by dafox »

Brontes wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:24 pm My Hinoki boards are not stained. They need to be very wet. I soak mine before use. They also do not warp as they are quarter sawn.
They sure look nice, not sure I want to get into that much board care.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I'm not sure, given your allergy, if any of these boards would work, but webstaurant.com has a plethora in different materials. Never heard of hi soft.
dafox

Post by dafox »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:18 pm I'm not sure, given your allergy, if any of these boards would work, but webstaurant.com has a plethora in different materials. Never heard of hi soft.
Thanks, took a look, they have some synthetic rubber ones that look promising. Haven't heard any body mention them. Quite a few people like the Hi-soft and Sanituff.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

dafox wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm
Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:18 pm I'm not sure, given your allergy, if any of these boards would work, but webstaurant.com has a plethora in different materials. Never heard of hi soft.
Thanks, took a look, they have some synthetic rubber ones that look promising. Haven't heard any body mention them. Quite a few people like the Hi-soft and Sanituff.
I have always used the San Jamar saf-t-grip ones. That's with he rubber so prob not for you, but they have good boards. Thinner diwshwasher safe without any warping issues. I find it to be just fine for all my j knives. I've also heard some other folks vouch for those too. The oxo, I don't like the plastic in it. I feel like the San jamar is a little softer on the knife edges. Has a little more grip to it too.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hmmm. I'm going to enquire about these. They look interesting. I need to fill up the new warehouse with something.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
dafox

Post by dafox »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:43 pm
dafox wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:04 pm
I have always used the San Jamar saf-t-grip ones. That's with he rubber so prob not for you, but they have good boards. Thinner diwshwasher safe without any warping issues. I find it to be just fine for all my j knives. I've also heard some other folks vouch for those too. The oxo, I don't like the plastic in it. I feel like the San jamar is a little softer on the knife edges. Has a little more grip to it too.
Thanks
dafox

Post by dafox »

Purchased a Hi-soft from Korin the approx 12x16 size, will see how it works for me.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

dafox wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 pm Purchased a Hi-soft from Korin the approx 12x16 size, will see how it works for me.
I looked those up on Korin. Seem to be a good choice post a topic about the. Parts or let me know what you think someone one if you would. Maybe I'd want one. Thanks for making this topic
dafox

Post by dafox »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 pm
dafox wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:36 pm Purchased a Hi-soft from Korin the approx 12x16 size, will see how it works for me.
I looked those up on Korin. Seem to be a good choice post a topic about the. Parts or let me know what you think someone one if you would. Maybe I'd want one. Thanks for making this topic
Thanks, i will follow-up with my experience.
Just read your post from a while ago about "is this where I post about sucking at sharpening".
How is it going for you now?
Just sharpened my first knife using J waterstones,this week-lots to learn.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

:lol: that was a frustrating day!! I remember that. I just have high expectations. I actually ended up going back to it and being satisfied with my edges. It gets better and better, I am always anxious every time I sharpen still tho. It's actually fun if you give yourself all the time needed.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I want one of those. Time to slice up some sushi with my new babies ;)
dafox

Post by dafox »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:37 pm :lol: that was a frustrating day!! I remember that. I just have high expectations. I actually ended up going back to it and being satisfied with my edges. It gets better and better, I am always anxious every time I sharpen still tho. It's actually fun if you give yourself all the time needed.
Glad to hear it gets better and better. It is enjoyable and rewarding.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

@dafox, check out the Kitchen Gizmo TPU 2-sided cutting board: I bought on a forum recommendation and they're pretty nice. They have a bit of heft but I still put some grippy liner under mine (or a damp paper towel) to make it stay put.
dafox

Post by dafox »

SteveG wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 am @dafox, check out the Kitchen Gizmo TPU 2-sided cutting board: I bought on a forum recommendation and they're pretty nice. They have a bit of heft but I still put some grippy liner under mine (or a damp paper towel) to make it stay put.
Thanks Steve, turns out tpu is another thing that I'm alergic to. Appreciate the recommendation.