End-Grain vs. Hi-Soft vs. Sani-Tuff vs. “Synthetic Rubber”

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Stumpy

End-Grain vs. Hi-Soft vs. Sani-Tuff vs. “Synthetic Rubber”

Post by Stumpy »

I’m overwhelmed by cutting board options and could use some help.

I currently use a 18”x12”x1.75” edge-grain maple board that weighs in at 9-pounds, 7-ounces. It’s OK, but a little harder than I’d like and the weight is an issue for the missus.

The questions I’m trying to answer are: (1) should I go with a “soft” synthetic board such as a Sani-tuff, Hi-Soft, etc., or (2) will one of the wood end-grain boards CKTG offers be a better choice.

A few specific and admittedly OCD considerations:

(1) Based on a few comments on this forum the Hi-Soft seems like the way to go, but similar boards with good user reviews can be found online for much less ($39 vs. $130 / 18” x 12” x 1” vs. 19.6" x 10.6"x 0.8"). The Hi-Soft is made of polyvinyl acetate and the no-brand competitors are described as “Synthetic Rubber” which is maddeningly vague for the purpose of comparison. The no-name brand board does have eight positive reviews, but none making a comparison to Hi-Soft. Here’s one: "This cutting board rocks. It is dense, but softer than wood or poly surfaces, very knife edge friendly. It has a small coefficient of rubber-like "grippiness", and is my now my most favored cutting board, in a collection of 8, highly recommended."

(2) Sani-Tuff also looked like an option, and may or may not be the same material or even made by the same manufacturer as the no-brand Synthetic Rubber board…hard to tell. But then I read this review: “Dulls knives faster (~X3 times faster) than my wood chopping block…I tried Tojiro gyuto, CCK KF1303, Tanaka nakiri. I am disappointed because I read rubber boards are gentle to knife blades. Maybe it is better than a glass cutting board, but it is not on par with my end grain wood chopping block.”

So…anyone have direct experience with End-Grain vs. Hi-Soft vs. Sani-Tuff vs. “Synthetic Rubber” from a restaurant supply store? Aesthetics are not a concern, edge protection and ease of use are.

Also, does anyone know the weight of:
a) CKTG Walnut End Grain Board 18 x 12 x 1 1/2"
b) Hi-Soft, Large (19.6" x 10.6"x 0.8”)
c) Sani-Tuff (18” x 12” x 3/4”)

Lastly, the Hinoki is probably a no-go due to the requirement to wet it before use. The missus is a grab-and-go type.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Stumpy on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chefspence

Re: Need advice: Comparing end-grain boards to synthetics

Post by Chefspence »

Didn't you buy a hisoft already? I don't use wood boards. Too big and not dishwasher friendly, even for home use, I enjoy convenience. I'm sure there's nothing quite like wood, but plastic boards are just fine. You can also buy and try three plastic boards for the price of one wood 8-)
gladius

Post by gladius »

Even the synthetics are somewhat heavy, at least for my wife who doesn't use the medium Hi-Soft. Her preference is the Hinoki. You wet the Hinoki to help prevent staining. Get one for your wife and tell her it's all hers...suggest wetting it if she wants to resist staining but it is optional and let her make the decision.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefspence wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:55 pm Didn't you buy a hisoft already? I don't use wood boards. Too big and not dishwasher friendly, even for home use, I enjoy convenience. I'm sure there's nothing quite like wood, but plastic boards are just fine. You can also buy and try three plastic boards for the price of one wood 8-)
Heavy? I'm looking at a hi soft right now and the weight is more or less a wash with my end/edge grain mixed board of equivalent size. My wood board was cheaper, too. No, it isn't dishwasher friendly but I don't use a dishwasher anyway. :lol: Then again, I only wash my board when I feel it needs it. It just gets wiped down. However, I don't cut meat, raw or cooked on it so I have a cheap poly board for that... :oops: When I say cheap I mean one of those mats that sits over my cutting board that come in a 4 pack for $4. :lol:

Regardless, I simply like a wooden board. Others like plastic or what not, no worries. :)
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm ...I don't use a dishwasher anyway. :lol: Then again, I only wash my board when I feel it needs it. It just gets wiped down.
--------
And you think the hammered finish on a Yoshimune White #1 "...looks dirty inside the marks and that would drive me insane"???
Last edited by gladius on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

gladius wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm ...I don't use a dishwasher anyway. :lol: Then again, I only wash my board when I feel it needs it. It just gets wiped down.
--------
And you think the hammered finish on a Yohimune White #1 "...looks dirty inside the marks and that would drive me insane"???
Haha. Good one Gladius ! :lol:

( Sorry Kit but that's funny ). :)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

nevrknow wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:04 pm
--------
And you think the hammered finish on a Yohimune White #1 "...looks dirty inside the marks and that would drive me insane"???

But I do think it looks dirty. My board looks clean. I never said anything about it actually being dirty or clean. :lol:

Edit: That does leave me with a question though. I have always just wiped my board down after use with a solution of vinegar and water, which is what my grandfather has been doing for about 7 decades. I do this between washing and re-waxing. Is there really any reason to change how I do things? Ya'll are making me paranoid.
Last edited by Kit Craft on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mauichef

Re: End-Grain vs. Hi-Soft vs. Sani-Tuff vs. “Synthetic Rubber”

Post by mauichef »

Anyone used an Asahi board? Looking for either that or a Hi-Soft for sushi prep more than anything else.
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

--------
And you think the hammered finish on a Yoshimune White #1 "...looks dirty inside the marks and that would drive me insane"???
well played 8-)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

TomCutlery wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm
--------
well played 8-)
It was but my board still looks cleaner. :mrgreen:
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm
--------
well played 8-)
I actually agree with you on the Yoshi finish but not the board and ya gotta give credit where it's due, check and mate! all in good fun though :D
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

TomCutlery wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

well played 8-)
I actually agree with you on the Yoshi finish but not the board and ya gotta give credit where it's due, check and mate! all in good fun though :D
I suck at chess.
TheTimberedWolf

Post by TheTimberedWolf »

Hello!

I didn't actually see an answer to your question - but i figured I'd give some insight. End Grain cutting boards are my full time job :)

Edge Grain is generally going to be lighter than end grain. When you make an end grain board, you either take a face or an edge grain, cut it, then stand it up. your edge grain board is 18" long. in order for me to make an 18" end grain board @ 2" thick, i need 60" of "edge grain" to begin with.

And 18"x 12" x 1.5" end grain walnut is going to range anywhere from 8-10lbs depending on if you get sapwood (the lighter, cream colored sections instead of dark brown), & the specific type of walnut.

convenience is the only favorable trait when it comes to non-wood. end grain are 100% undeniably better for your knives, because end grain is fibrous & the fibers "separate" to accommodate the passage of cutting edge, then self heal.

i hope this helps!

if it'd interest you at all, you can go to my website - www.thetimberedwolf.com - i have a section labeled "why end grain?" that goes into detail with a few things
gregnim

Post by gregnim »

I just got a 12"x18"x1" no name synthetic board last weekend (coincidentally, the same day I got a 210 Yoshi. The dirt; who knew?). It weighs 7.5 lbs. I got it for cutting proteins and I love it. It's much too soon to tell if it dulls the edges of my knives any more than my end grain walnut board, but I feel so much better to be able to hold it under a hot water spray after cutting up chickens, which I would never do with my wood board.
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

TheTimberedWolf & gregnim:

Thank you for your detailed replies, much appreciated.

gregnim: Once you've given it enough time I hope you'll post back on your edge retention observations. Your synthetic board is two-pounds lighter than my equal sized edge-grain. In the meantime I obtained a Hinoki board for the missus. A little too small for me (the larger size wouldn't fit our space) but she likes it so far.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

gregnim wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 am I just got a 12"x18"x1" no name synthetic board last weekend (coincidentally, the same day I got a 210 Yoshi. The dirt; who knew?). It weighs 7.5 lbs. I got it for cutting proteins and I love it. It's much too soon to tell if it dulls the edges of my knives any more than my end grain walnut board, but I feel so much better to be able to hold it under a hot water spray after cutting up chickens, which I would never do with my wood board.
Really curious how this board worked out, especially as it pertains to edge retention.

Thanks,
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm
--------

But I do think it looks dirty. My board looks clean. I never said anything about it actually being dirty or clean. :lol:

Edit: That does leave me with a question though. I have always just wiped my board down after use with a solution of vinegar and water, which is what my grandfather has been doing for about 7 decades. I do this between washing and re-waxing. Is there really any reason to change how I do things? Ya'll are making me paranoid.
I would be curious too. After protein I lug mine to the sink and hit it with some dish soap/sponge. What ratio of vinegar/water are you using Kit?
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:22 am
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:02 pm

I would be curious too. After protein I lug mine to the sink and hit it with some dish soap/sponge. What ratio of vinegar/water are you using Kit?
I was surprised to read this page, when I realized it was a 2017 resurrected page... I haven't seen Kit around these parts for the better part of 2019, if not longer
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 am [
I was surprised to read this page, when I realized it was a 2017 resurrected page... I haven't seen Kit around these parts for the better part of 2019, if not longer
[/quote]

Lol, you are right. My bad. I did not look at the date.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Crazy how these 2 year old threads get resurrected!