Konosuke Updates

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Got em.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 amGot em.
Apologies if this is off-topic, but I’d be curious to hear what was involved in freeing these up. I know lots of people here are buying and selling knives through the classified sections all over the place. I’m assuming this was because of concerns about rosewood / certain kinds of ebony and CITES regulations? Any tips to avoid these problems?

Also, more on topic, great news! :)
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 amGot em.

*heavy breathing*
SanDiego

Post by SanDiego »

Hi Kosuke,

I would like to find a 270mm or 240mm Western handled gyuto in HD or stainless.

Any hope that such knives will be available again ?
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

This might not be "news" but I noticed that 9/10 of the HD2 lineup are in stock. Is it because so many more have been made, or because everyone already owns one? (I'm guessing its a combination of both)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drewski wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:07 pm This might not be "news" but I noticed that 9/10 of the HD2 lineup are in stock. Is it because so many more have been made, or because everyone already owns one? (I'm guessing its a combination of both)
Because everyone is trying to get a Fujiyama. :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:32 pm
Drewski wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:07 pm This might not be "news" but I noticed that 9/10 of the HD2 lineup are in stock. Is it because so many more have been made, or because everyone already owns one? (I'm guessing its a combination of both)
Because everyone is trying to get a Fujiyama. :D
I also think they they were included in the last several mailing as well. The other reality is that the use of more exotic handle materials has raised the price and helped a bit with supply-demand balancing.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
kirkystyle

Post by kirkystyle »

What happen to the Cleavers. I got a notice that they came in and when I clicked on the link it was sold out:( any info on getting more?
BoostedGT

Post by BoostedGT »

kirkystyle wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:13 pm What happen to the Cleavers. I got a notice that they came in and when I clicked on the link it was sold out:( any info on getting more?

They were sold super fast, there is no word if more will be available, but I think that they are gaining popularity and may be Mark will be able to get more in the future.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

It was very pleasing to see all of the Fujiyama line selling so quickly that it might encourage them to produce more. I have the Fujiyama 210 White petty and the Fujiyama 210 Blue Gyuto both excellent examples of quality work.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jacko9 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm It was very pleasing to see all of the Fujiyama line selling so quickly that it might encourage them to produce more. I have the Fujiyama 210 White petty and the Fujiyama 210 Blue Gyuto both excellent examples of quality work.
That line has been selling quickly for a while, I don't think that's the issue. But, perhaps, your trying to be positive.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Cutuu wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 pm
jacko9 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:52 pm It was very pleasing to see all of the Fujiyama line selling so quickly that it might encourage them to produce more. I have the Fujiyama 210 White petty and the Fujiyama 210 Blue Gyuto both excellent examples of quality work.
That line has been selling quickly for a while, I don't think that's the issue. But, perhaps, your trying to be positive.
Yes I think that Mark encouraged them to produce more and he told them that he would increase the price (I remember that from a post a while back). It's all good for excellent craftsmanship and quality knives. I know the line has been selling for quite a while and it took me a long time to get my "treasures". I'm just glad that the producers are being recognized for their excellence.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

jacko9 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:10 am Yes I think that Mark encouraged them to produce more and he told them that he would increase the price (I remember that from a post a while back)...
:? ...But the prices have held steady and in some cases come down.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jacko9 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:10 am
Yes I think that Mark encouraged them to produce more and he told them that he would increase the price (I remember that from a post a while back). It's all good for excellent craftsmanship and quality knives. I know the line has been selling for quite a while and it took me a long time to get my "treasures". I'm just glad that the producers are being recognized for their excellence.
I don't think Mark can convince them to make more when they are probably making as many as they possibly can. Regardless of price. Would like to see that post you are referring to.
And these knives have been selling out for years. This is no new thing.

Do you really think they can just ramp up production as easy as that? No so.
These knives cannot just be made to meet demand like any regular knife.

They are limited because the smith and sharpener cannot make more. Period. I do not believe this is self imposed. Fujiyama knives were MIA for a long time recently while a new sharpener was found and trained.
So many people do not realize the huge amount of time and effort that goes into these specialized blades like the Fujiyamas and the other limited editions (Togo, HM etc). It can take a year or more to create a handful of theses rare blades!
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Just a heads up, Konosuke fujiyama 210 damascus B1 is up for grabs over at tosho. I have the non damascus 210, such a dream cutting machine
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

And those sold out fast
appleton

Post by appleton »

How many did they have?
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Not sure, but I do know a couple guys who got one

Post by 5698k »

I got one
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

mauichef wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:37 am
jacko9 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:10 am
I don't think Mark can convince them to make more when they are probably making as many as they possibly can. Regardless of price. Would like to see that post you are referring to.
And these knives have been selling out for years. This is no new thing.

Do you really think they can just ramp up production as easy as that? No so.
These knives cannot just be made to meet demand like any regular knife.

They are limited because the smith and sharpener cannot make more. Period. I do not believe this is self imposed. Fujiyama knives were MIA for a long time recently while a new sharpener was found and trained.
So many people do not realize the huge amount of time and effort that goes into these specialized blades like the Fujiyamas and the other limited editions (Togo, HM etc). It can take a year or more to create a handful of theses rare blades!
Kosuke has worked hard to train this new sharpener for a couple years and he’s now ready to do these at the same high level of excellence as they were done in the past, so I do think we’re going to get more supply going forward. He’s preparing another order of them now so we’ll go through this dance again soon. Most are 210mm gyutos but also some sujihikis.

We went through this same thing with the HD2s until supply caught up with demand and now things are smooth with them. I’m hoping we get to the same point with the Fujiyamas.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html