Konosuke Updates

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kosuke

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by Kosuke »

TheVincenzo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 pm Vintage carbons sound great. I would love to get my hands on one also, but I doubt I'll get that lucky.

I'm going to need a cheek sheet for the new styles and names. I know there was one other that I was interested in. It was called the special series on the Instagram page, I think it was also called the HM if memory serves. Are there any updates on those ones?
I'm sorry let you wait.

Next batch has already forged, but waiting to be sharpened now.
(sharpener is waiting the new tool to improve the quality)

We'll proceed as soon as possible.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

The HM is an absolute stunner!
This is probably top of my want list right now.

Kosuke, are these 210mm?
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Turbochef422 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm Got my MM today and will use it the next few days and give my thoughts on it. I can tell you out of the box it’s different. Alittle mor blade height, the tip is way lower (I’m a fan of that kind of profile anyway). Nice taper but doesn’t remind me of any Konosuke I’ve used yet.

I’ve had/tried the older Ginsan which was wide bevel and I loved how thin it was but had no blade height, New Ginsan from Tosho, which has a bit more height, beautiful taper, no wide bevel but great proformer. Old blue 2 Fujiyama wide bevel, no height but stout knife, newer blue 2 Fujiyama, way more Balde height, thinner behind the edge, better taper, hd, hd2, white 1 & 2 fujiyamas, and a Special Gyuto white 2 Damascus Fujiyama bought from cktg a long time ago. I love them all. All very different knives it’s getting hard to keep track
Just received the 210 MM today. Very well executed knife. In terms of profile and pattern interpretation it reminds me very, very much of my Mizuno Hontranren B1. My Mizuno is a 270 though so it's tough to draw a perfect comparison. That said, the kanji stamp on the back of the blade mirrors one of the stamps on the Mizuno (as well as a Konosuke Shiraki B2 honyaki). I will say the finish and overall F&F of the MM, in conjunction with the absolutely stellar khii ebony handle, is a step above Mizuno.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Love those Khii Studio handles! Looking forward to hearing your thought on this attractive package Chip.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChipB wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:27 pm Just received the 210 MM today. Very well executed knife. In terms of profile and pattern interpretation it reminds me very, very much of my Mizuno Hontranren B1. My Mizuno is a 270 though so it's tough to draw a perfect comparison. That said, the kanji stamp on the back of the blade mirrors one of the stamps on the Mizuno (as well as a Konosuke Shiraki B2 honyaki). I will say the finish and overall F&F of the MM, in conjunction with the absolutely stellar khii ebony handle, is a step above Mizuno.
---
Very observant, the profile is similar - do you have the Mizuno w/o shinogi?
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

^^^ Hi gladius, the Mizuno I have is finished with the shinogi line at the grind shoulder. Again, while the MM is a 210 and the size difference can certainly impact grind, my initial impression is that the grind on the MM is thinner and more subtle than on the MT Hontanren. It wouldn't shock me if the smith is the same with a different sharpener employed for the different knives. The MM is certainly very well executed. Put it through some light produce with OOTB edge and it certainly flies. Reminds me how much fun a good 210 can be as the vast bulk of my collection are in larger formats. Indeed, if initial impressions here hold I could see myself picking up an MM in a 240 if/when they are available again. Kudos to Konosuke and Mark for what appears to be another great knife series!
gladius

Post by gladius »

Even though the Hontanren and MM are made of the same Aogami #2 they feel quite different on the stones. The Hontanren feels more refined at a lower grit while the MM is thinner at and behind the edge, truly a high quality knife.

I read the MM was a "~taller Fujiyama with a major profile update" - is this true?

I wonder if the back kanji indicates steel type?

ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:31 pm I wonder if the back kanji indicates steel type?
This makes complete sense if true.

As it relates to the MM being described as a "taller Fujiyama" I suspect that was meant to draw a comparison as I would be shocked if this line was produced by the Fujiyana Smith. Would be a pretty radical departure in pattern style and profile
gladius

Post by gladius »

I ran the kanji through Japanese OCR program and it translates as blue steel.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:00 pm I ran the kanji through Japanese OCR program and it translates as blue steel.
Definitely explains the stamp. While I haven't put it to stone, I'd still wager the smith is shared b/w Mizuno and the MM series
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Last edited by Kevin on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Dunno if disclosing information you were told privately in a public forum is good etiquette
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

Omega wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:13 am Dunno if disclosing information you were told privately in a public forum is good etiquette
I assume you are referring to a previous post? I wasn't told anything about these knives.
Omega

Post by Omega »

ChipB wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:34 am I assume you are referring to a previous post? I wasn't told anything about these knives.
Nah man- not you. A different user posted something Kosuke had told them in an email or PM.

I didn't mean to come across as overly critical to that user- its just, there are times Kosuke is willing to say things privately that he can't say in a public forum. It can cause trouble for his brand- that's why, for example, the identity of the some of the sharpeners is so incredibly difficult to uncover, because some of the craftsmen very much want their privacy in these things.

I'm cool with talking about who we think the craftsmen are- and I have a few guesses. I just want to be careful to not directly reveal information Kosuke privately told someone is all.
SanDiego

Post by SanDiego »

Is there going to be a lottery for the vintage carbon gyutos ? If so, when will it start ?
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

2 questions:

1. Do you think you'll ever make 180mm HD2 Gyuto's?

2. What happened to the most recent Ginsan series? Was it removed from the site only because they sold out?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

SanDiego wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:58 pm Is there going to be a lottery for the vintage carbon gyutos ? If so, when will it start ?
It already did and I won :lol:
No, not really.
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:47 am The HM is an absolute stunner!
This is probably top of my want list right now.

Kosuke, are these 210mm?
Yes. Both of 210 and 240.

======================================
210mm ; keep making

240mm ; we'll provide some in the next batch, but will stop
for a while after that (until the blacksmith get the material)
======================================
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

Hey Kosuke, any chance any 210 HD2's are on the way?
Also, any chance you'll make a 180 HD2 Gyuto at any point in the future? Iirc there were 180 petty's in the past, but any chance on a 180mm Gyuto?

Thanks
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Dave Kinogie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 pm Hey Kosuke, any chance any 210 HD2's are on the way?
Also, any chance you'll make a 180 HD2 Gyuto at any point in the future? Iirc there were 180 petty's in the past, but any chance on a 180mm Gyuto?

Thanks
Hello Dave Kinogie

Thank you for your request.

I'm afraid we don't have any plan to make 180 Gyutos..

We may have a chance to make Wa-Gyuto 210 this year, but it's so hard for me to decide which size we'll proceed next by the request here, so let me talk with Mark.

We'll proceed the sizes which have the top priorities among the customers.

Thank you!