Konosuke Updates

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Chicagohawkie

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Always admired the old kono ginsan from afar. Loved everything about it except for the low heel height. Fit and finish were on par with the Fujiyamas. Miss the old days. Here’s a write up of the old one from our esteemed resident kono expert along with some beautiful photography. I’m just not resonating with the new incantation. http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/kono ... t9176.html
gladius

Post by gladius »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am Always admired the old kono ginsan from afar. Loved everything about it except for the low heel height. Fit and finish were on par with the Fujiyamas.
The low height AND the sticky finish. The finish was easy enough to address with some natural stone mud but the low height I could not get over.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:23 am Always admired the old kono ginsan from afar. Loved everything about it except for the low heel height. Fit and finish were on par with the Fujiyamas. Miss the old days. Here’s a write up of the old one from our esteemed resident kono expert along with some beautiful photography. I’m just not resonating with the new incantation. http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/kono ... t9176.html
My thoughts exactly. I loved everything about it other than the extreme undersize of it. I searched all over for a 270 after I sold my 240. Looks like they're gone now. :(
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I dont mind the short height on mine, although its easy to see why it would be a deal breaker for some, even many. But i never had a problem with board clearance at all. Also it didnt affect performance even in tall ingredients, it still performed awesomely. Its probably my favorite cabbage knive, eventhough on site that i bought it from they said it might wedge in red cabbage because of the large secondary bevel. I have found that to be autraciously false. The spine gives it confidence and the grind glides through effortlessly. Plus i dont mind the short height, because i like variety. I wouldnt want all my gyutos this short, but this one is its own thing. The performance justifies the height for me, but i cant scoop with it :lol: i like it better through cabbage even more than the shibata kashima.
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

Well I pulled the trigger on a 210 Ginsan. I loved the Ginsan Sukenari from the pass around a few years ago and figured the Kono would be even better and have been looking for a stainless or HD2 Gyuto for something with ease of maintenance.

Also, long time no post and I'm not sure if I ever made a formal apology for the long delays year back in the pass around. It was never my intention to take that long or ignore sending it on and to inconvenience and anger other board members, nor to try and keep the knife or anything like that. Although it's just an excuse, I was going through a rough patch and everything else unintentionally went on the back burner. I'm sorry guys, this board and community has always been awesome and I never intended to take advantage of you or disrespect it.
mdl130

Post by mdl130 »

Somebody please buy that Kono Ginsan 210 soon. I don't think I can hold out much longer.
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

mdl130 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:14 pm Somebody please buy that Kono Ginsan 210 soon. I don't think I can hold out much longer.
I wonder how many of these there were available?
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

salemj wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 am Thanks Kosuke! I appreciate that you are trying to maintain the same high standards as you search for new people to fulfill your orders!
Thank you for your message!
I feel so sorry that makes the production so slow..

We're very happy that many people can understand the situation :)
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

supersharp wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:28 pm Thank you Kosuke. Your dedication to quality and attention to detail is what has made me a loyal customer over the years. Your hard work is appreciated.
Thank you so much!!

We'll try our best to make you happy for longer years continually!
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

appleward91 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:28 pm
Kosuke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am
TheVincenzo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Speaking of cool new stuff, any updates on the HM knives?
I'm sorry let you wait (both reply and HM)..

When we get the last batch several months ago from the blacksmith, there are problems on several blades at the sharpening process.

We've sent them back to him but we don't get any reaction from him.

We're keep talking, but we still don't get neither the new batch nor explanation about the situation.

I'm so sorry..

I'm happy if you can understand that we have to solve many problems to make something new..
Hi! I know that a lot of people are asking for honyaki and special knives like funayuki and so on. But about something much simpler like pettys? I can't seem to find any anywhere and I don't think that a petty is such a "special" sort of knife no?
I'm afraid I'm not sure if I fully understand what you meant or not, but the request of bigger knives (like gyuto) are more than petty knives.

Because of this situation, the production of petty knives is fewer than gyuto.
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

lagrange wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 pm As a related question, are the White and Blue Fujiyamas made by the same Smith/House?
When we call the blade "Fujiyama series", all of them are forged by the same smith and the sharpener.

We used to call Mizu-honyaki (water quenched) single bevel knives as Fujiyama line, but only these were forged by the other smith.
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Kosuke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:11 pm
appleward91 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:28 pm
Kosuke wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am

I'm sorry let you wait (both reply and HM)..

When we get the last batch several months ago from the blacksmith, there are problems on several blades at the sharpening process.

We've sent them back to him but we don't get any reaction from him.

We're keep talking, but we still don't get neither the new batch nor explanation about the situation.

I'm so sorry..

I'm happy if you can understand that we have to solve many problems to make something new..
Hi! I know that a lot of people are asking for honyaki and special knives like funayuki and so on. But about something much simpler like pettys? I can't seem to find any anywhere and I don't think that a petty is such a "special" sort of knife no?
I'm afraid I'm not sure if I fully understand what you meant or not, but the request of bigger knives (like gyuto) are more than petty knives.

Because of this situation, the production of petty knives is fewer than gyuto.
Ok thank you, i understand this now. Hopefully one day the funayukis and petty and sujihikis come back.
Dave Kinogie

Post by Dave Kinogie »

Ginsan came in this morning, it's pretty beautiful. I own one other Kono, an older stainless Damascus custom handle Nakiri and just like that one, the fit and finish is impeccable. Won't have a chance to test drive this thing for a few days, but it's close to laser-like, can't wait!
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Cutuu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 pm
Cutuu wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 pm I went back to these and was thinking about pulling the trigger, anyways... Poof they r gone. My wallet thanks you. Less stress for me having to figure out what to put up in the classifieds :D
The grinds when I was cleaning them with a cloth for the photos felt very different than the Lasers. Feels like thinner Sukenaris the way they were ground. Kosuke always does a nice job getting them to pay attention to the spine and choil too. I thought he told me the blacksmith for the damascus ones were from the guy that does the Fujiyamas but I can’t remember now so I emailed him. I put the section outside that group since I was unsure.
That's interesting, when I was looking at the pictures, I was thinking the same thing about them looking like thinner ground sukenari ginsan. Do you know about the old ones having any relation to the Fujiyama's, referring to my previous comment
I'm sorry let you wait for the answer.

To be honest with you, Ginsan gyutos have been sharpened by several sharpeners which includes Fujiyama sharpener, Taka sharpener, and the young sharpener who did the latest batch.

I'm sorry about the confusing situation..
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kosuke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:16 pm
ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:31 pm

The grinds when I was cleaning them with a cloth for the photos felt very different than the Lasers. Feels like thinner Sukenaris the way they were ground. Kosuke always does a nice job getting them to pay attention to the spine and choil too. I thought he told me the blacksmith for the damascus ones were from the guy that does the Fujiyamas but I can’t remember now so I emailed him. I put the section outside that group since I was unsure.
That's interesting, when I was looking at the pictures, I was thinking the same thing about them looking like thinner ground sukenari ginsan. Do you know about the old ones having any relation to the Fujiyama's, referring to my previous comment

To be honest with you, Ginsan gyutos have been sharpened by several sharpeners which includes Fujiyama sharpener, Taka sharpener, and the young sharpener who did the latest batch.

Thank you Kosuke for the info. You are referring to the old ginsans right or perhaps both?
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:43 pm
Kosuke wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:16 pm

Thank you Kosuke for the info. You are referring to the old ginsans right or perhaps both?
I'm sorry about the confusing explanation!

<old ginsan>
Done by Fujiyama sharpener and Taka sharpener.

<lastet ginsan>
Done by young sharpener.
(he's been sharpening T1 210 Gyuto (not a T1 150 Petty))
Omega

Post by Omega »

Thank you so much Kosuke. You are too kind to give us this information.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Thank you Kosuke very much for the clarification.
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Hello Omega and Cutuu

Thank you for the message :)

BTW, we've sent this yesterday.

HD2 / 240 Wa-Gyuto / Khii Laurel

(We'll try to offer several sizes of HD2 next year)

Thank you!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Love those Khii handles. On an HD2 it should be right proper!
Gone in 3 seconds....... :o