Konosuke Updates

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
nakneker

Re: Konosuke Updates

Post by nakneker »

JoshuaSonOfNun wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:51 pm I know White and Blue have been used as a core material in konosuke knives before but has Aogami super ever been used?

That being said if a blue honyaki comes out I'll pounce on it.
If your quick enough to pull the trigger on a Kono Honyaki with any kind of steel you will be a lucky man. Highly sought after, you either get lucky or you know somebody. If do get one go out and buy a couple lottery tickets that very day. Just sayin
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

Their IG post showing the new Fujiyama had me jump a bit. Looks very nice. No doubt it'll be darn near impossible to score one, sadly. I suspect from just seeing this thread that the list is long ("and distinguished").
Wish I could make the trip!
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

JoshuaSonOfNun wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:51 pm I know White and Blue have been used as a core material in konosuke knives before but has Aogami super ever been used?

That being said if a blue honyaki comes out I'll pounce on it.
Thank you for asking.

We haven't stopped to use AS but haven't a chance to use recently.

Trying to make something in the near future.
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

That would be good Kosuke. Seriously the Fujis that you just sent went in like 15 seconds. So like another fuji type in Aogomi Super would be amazing. Sorry not trying to be pushy just spitballing ideas. Hope all is going well. Thanks for your hard work!
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

Thank you for your message! :)
jobone

Post by jobone »

Got one of the new B1 Fujiyamas. As soon as it arrived, my spouse hid it until Christmas. I only have 4 more months wait :-(
salemj

Post by salemj »

jobone wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:58 pm Got one of the new B1 Fujiyamas. As soon as it arrived, my spouse hid it until Christmas. I only have 4 more months wait :-(
Haha. Sorry for your luck. Make sure she oils it!!!!!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I'm a Konosuke rookie - have my first one and have only used it twice. They seem everything written about them - darn fine knife - darn fine. Best sub $500 knife I've ever used. Will be back for many more
cjdilts

Post by cjdilts »

Hey Kosuke, I'm sure you guys have better things to do besides respond to my post, but I was curious if you would be doing anymore of the ks profile knives you did for mark a while back. thanks.
Kosuke

Post by Kosuke »

cjdilts wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:55 pm Hey Kosuke, I'm sure you guys have better things to do besides respond to my post, but I was curious if you would be doing anymore of the ks profile knives you did for mark a while back. thanks.
Hello cjdilts

Thank you for asking.

We're proceeding that but we can't get the detailed forecast yet.

(should be within 6 months, I'm sorry..)

BTW, we've send additional new Fujiyama Blue #2 240 Gyutos as below yesterday.

=============
x3 Khii Laurel
x3 Khii Ebony
=============

I'm afraid most of them have "thin logos" (by stamp), so we're changing it to the "engraving style" from the next batch by the blacksmith.

(several more half-finished stocks are already with stamp on them though..)

Kosuke
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Glad to see that more knives are moving to engraving and away from the stamped logos that have a tendency to be ground away. Engraved kanji looks so much nicer and gives the knife a more authentic look and impression.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I know I'm probably the odd one out, but I actually really like the stamp, even when it has a bit of a fade. I definitely don't find it any more or less "authentic" at all, and, to be honest, I find the aesthetics of the stamp to be very nice on the knife, which is not always the way I feel about chiseled kanji. In fact, I prefer the stamped kanji on my blue 2 Fujiyama to the chiseled kanji on the Blue 1 to a significant degree. On my other knives, I've noticed that I much prefer chiseled kanji after sanding, too—I don't like the artificial depth and texture left by chiseled kanji that has been done before final polishing. I find it to look a bit unfinished and crass, almost like a foot print in wet mud versus a fossilized footprint.

That said, I appreciate that it takes a bit away when the stamp is worn so much from polishing that it can no longer be read effectively, and I also find it to lose its beauty when it is too low on the knife that it competes with the shinogi, as in some of the small petty knives.

Kosuke, you mentioned a while ago that the Honyaki might be completed soon. Any updates on those, including how many Mark will receive?
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Kosuke ,

I am very much enjoying my new Fujiyama b2 gyuto . Please don’t hesitate to finish the half finished blades , even with thin logo . Plenty of folks won’t mind I promise . These new blades deserve to be used ... very well done .

I prefer the stamp . It is instantly recognizable as a konosuke . I would suggest maybe adding chiseled kanji on the other blade face ! That would be the best of both worlds!

Best,
Brett
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I also prefer the look of the stamp to the chiseled kanji. I’m just not a fan of the stamp being partially ground away. I don’t know what the answer is. It’s just cosmetic I know, but it makes what is a very nice marking look sort of damaged.
RonAZ

Post by RonAZ »

Everyone has different taste but my vote is for the chiseled kanji. It's done by hand and looks that way, to me it's a major upgrade to the more mass produced looking stamps. I also dislike having to work around a stamp when working on a blade finish.

Ron
salemj

Post by salemj »

RonAZ wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm Everyone has different taste but my vote is for the chiseled kanji. It's done by hand and looks that way, to me it's a major upgrade to the more mass produced looking stamps. I also dislike having to work around a stamp when working on a blade finish.

Ron
Sure thing. Just to be clear: the "stamps" we are talking about are still engraved, they are not the ink screening. They are just engraved using a metal stamp and hammer rather than a chisel. I find they are even easier to deal with than chiseled kanji when refinishing, and they are often deeper, too.
~Joe

nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Chiseled vs Stamped? Chiseled wins every time in my book.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

nakneker wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm Chiseled vs Stamped? Chiseled wins every time in my book.
+1
Stamped looks fine in most cases(except when nearly ground away) but nothing beats chiseled to me. But I like either over screening or laser etched anytime, those are just cheezy looking.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
kjpfo287

Post by kjpfo287 »

Chisel always way more character konosuke hand kanji is so translucent .....I do like the HD 2 stamp with the black ink.....but again always go for hand chiseled ...wish more makes would put the stell markers on the opposite side of the blade way more professional tinny opinion
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

The chiseled Kanji characters on the Konosuke knives is done by Kosuke's father, Mr. Kawamura. For me, it adds another great element and story to the knives.