WARNING: Kiwi Rant!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: WARNING: Kiwi Rant!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Never tried one. Heard about them quite a bit.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Kit Craft wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm [So, I understand where you coming from but I wonder if it is us who are the oddballs.
In most markets, companies who cater to the enthusiast who pays attention to the details etc are relatively boutique. Those who make low maintenance, plug-and-play, relatively indestructible stuff are the big companies. If the cost is low, even better.
With knives alone, I can point out sharpening and Amazon reviews.
A century ago, sharpening was a relatively common skill. Everybody who used knives, chisels, etc knew how or knew somebody with the skill. I'll guess that if I asked everybody on my block if they could sharpen a knife, nobody (else) could.
And on Amazon, every knife with more than 10 reviews has a 4-5 star rating. That's because their previous knife was never sharpened (I'm guessing) and their new knife, no matter how bad, has some kind of edge.

This goes for other things too. Each iteration of Windows is continually dumber. The picture viewer, for example, has taken away some keyboard short cuts. It gets harder to find quality anything, but there is more cheap breakable crap. Most people are fine with this, mediocre or worse is enough for them and with stagnant wages maybe that's all they can afford if they want a lot of 'stuff'.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Ourorboros wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:46 am
Kit Craft wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm [So, I understand where you coming from but I wonder if it is us who are the oddballs.
In most markets, companies who cater to the enthusiast who pays attention to the details etc are relatively boutique. Those who make low maintenance, plug-and-play, relatively indestructible stuff are the big companies. If the cost is low, even better.
With knives alone, I can point out sharpening and Amazon reviews.
A century ago, sharpening was a relatively common skill. Everybody who used knives, chisels, etc knew how or knew somebody with the skill. I'll guess that if I asked everybody on my block if they could sharpen a knife, nobody (else) could.
And on Amazon, every knife with more than 10 reviews has a 4-5 star rating. That's because their previous knife was never sharpened (I'm guessing) and their new knife, no matter how bad, has some kind of edge.

This goes for other things too. Each iteration of Windows is continually dumber. The picture viewer, for example, has taken away some keyboard short cuts. It gets harder to find quality anything, but there is more cheap breakable crap. Most people are fine with this, mediocre or worse is enough for them and with stagnant wages maybe that's all they can afford if they want a lot of 'stuff'.
Yeah, well, that does seem to be the case with everything. I gave up the windows long ago. :lol:
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

This is a fun topic. I actually just received a kiwi in the mail a few days ago. I touched up the edge on a 6k and it got hair popping sharp. So far I kind of like it. It's just a cheap knife, but better than any cheap plastic handle knife with a celebrity chefs name stamped on the side.
I too struggle with my cooks not caring about having a sharp knife. I recently bought a cktg line knife for them and neither of them even use it. It's a great knife, but they would rather use the old dull knives that have lost there hardness due to years of the hot dishwasher. I am learning to let people be, and it very hard.
Josh Cooper
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Joshigon wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 am This is a fun topic. I actually just received a kiwi in the mail a few days ago. I touched up the edge on a 6k and it got hair popping sharp. So far I kind of like it. It's just a cheap knife, but better than any cheap plastic handle knife with a celebrity chefs name stamped on the side.
I too struggle with my cooks not caring about having a sharp knife. I recently bought a cktg line knife for them and neither of them even use it. It's a great knife, but they would rather use the old dull knives that have lost there hardness due to years of the hot dishwasher. I am learning to let people be, and it very hard.
Send the line knive to me Joshigon and ill use it... Thank you in advance :lol:
Joshigon

Post by Joshigon »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:08 am
Joshigon wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:00 am This is a fun topic. I actually just received a kiwi in the mail a few days ago. I touched up the edge on a 6k and it got hair popping sharp. So far I kind of like it. It's just a cheap knife, but better than any cheap plastic handle knife with a celebrity chefs name stamped on the side.
Send the line knive to me Joshigon and ill use it... Thank you in advance :lol:
I think I'll keep it for myself. It's pretty awesome! Totally worth 30 dollars.
Josh Cooper