Kiritsuke Gyutos

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Julito

Kiritsuke Gyutos

Post by Julito »

There are a couple of 50/50 beveled kiritsukes on cktg. In theory, these knives have a flatter profile, good for push cutting and chopping. They also have a lower tip, for easier tip work.

However, I'd like to hear the opinions of those of you who have handled one. Is there anything about these knives that surprised you, that isnt commonly mentioned?
J david

Re: Kiritsuke Gyutos

Post by J david »

I don't know which particular knives you are looking at, but neither of the two I've purchased had any flat spot at all. They appear to be flatter because of the lower tip so if flat is important to you, see if you could reference one of Steve's product videos. You get a good look at profile on the board. Otherwise, ask the forum about the specific knife you are considering. In the end, I didn't care much for k tips, they did nothing at all for me and I have moved on.
Julito

Post by Julito »

J david wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am I don't know which particular knives you are looking at, but neither of the two I've purchased had any flat spot at all. They appear to be flatter because of the lower tip so if flat is important to you, see if you could reference one of Steve's product videos. You get a good look at profile on the board. Otherwise, ask the forum about the specific knife you are considering. In the end, I didn't care much for k tips, they did nothing at all for me and I have moved on.
Not really looking at particular knife, just asking in general. Searching for the differences between k-tip gyutos and normal gyutos online just rehashes these two points constantly. I was wondering what else there is to them.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Tagging along because I think my next knife will be a k-tip.
-- Garrick
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

From the limited reading I've done on the subject, it seems more cosmetic than anything. It more depends on the overall profile and grind that you like as even k tip and kiritsuke knives all have different attributes. Look at the Shibata...k tip knife that has very little flat and a laser grind and a Moritaka that seems more flat and has a more pronounced shoulder. Also tip performance seems to be more about the grind than whether the knife is a k tip or regular gyuto style. People seem to be more concerned about destroying the tip on a k tip knife than on a regular gyuto. I personally like the look of the k tip, but still haven't bought one. Again, I look more at the profile and grind. That said, I still want to try a shibata!! Hope this makes sense.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

They tend to be flatter which is good for push cutting and slicing but not as good for rocking.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html