You know you're a chef when...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
cooknola

Re: You know you're a chef when...

Post by cooknola »

Back during my construction days we’d send greenhorns out to find plate stretchers 🙄. Welp thought it’d be funny to try that one in the kitchen awhile back. But they needed to get the porcelain one not the China. My bosses didn’t find it near as funny as I did. They actually found it funnier. First time for everything.
-C-
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

cooknola wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:10 am Back during my construction days we’d send greenhorns out to find plate stretchers 🙄. Welp thought it’d be funny to try that one in the kitchen awhile back. But they needed to get the porcelain one not the China. My bosses didn’t find it near as funny as I did. They actually found it funnier. First time for everything.
I need you to go across the street to "Richard's" and get me a "dough repair kit"....

20 min later they show up with a hotel pan, flour, a french wisk and some bike chain lube...

"What the fuck!... WHOLE WHEAT DOUGH! you dumb ass! I need the WHOLE WHEAT DOUGH REPAIR KIT! ...this one is for ORGANIC dough!"

..... Never gets old
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Some of you will understand, some won't..

Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:01 pm Some of you will understand, some won't..

left the cap off....
Cowboy Dan

Post by Cowboy Dan »

Can you remove the stale air in the walk in?... here’s a trash bag :)
We need a dough repair kit. Can you run to kitchen and company and grab one?
“What’s that you’re eating?” (cookie shaped thing in a paper towel) “here try it.. it’s a chocolate cookie” (spent espresso puck) that one actually got me when I first started working in the kitchen at health food store HAHA super clever
“The road of excess leads to the palace of madness...You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough”
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Cowboy Dan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am Can you remove the stale air in the walk in?... here’s a trash bag :)
“What’s that you’re eating?” (cookie shaped thing in a paper towel) “here try it.. it’s a chocolate cookie” (spent espresso puck) that one actually got me when I first started working in the kitchen at health food store HAHA super clever
I got a guy to taste soapy avocado water from a vitamix by telling him it was a pistachio foam at a place where we were making lots of the foam/gel stuff.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Cowboy Dan wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:14 am Can you remove the stale air in the walk in?... here’s a trash bag :)

Oh god the espresso puck! Ive gotten SO many kids with that....
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Kitchen prank thread?
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Chefcallari wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:49 pm

Oh god the espresso puck! Ive gotten SO many kids with that....
when we were kids our parents had a party and made coffee in a percolator. They left the grinds out to cool before throwing them away. My older brother thought it was chocolate cake and cut a huge slice and wouldn't let me have one. The look on his face when he took a big bite #Priceless
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

When you waive a plate of food in front of a waitress or waiter that put in their own ticket wrong and toss the food in the trash! Haha
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

ButlerHoosierChef wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:30 am When you waive a plate of food in front of a waitress or waiter that put in their own ticket wrong and toss the food in the trash! Haha
Never let them eat their own mistakes.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

2BA216D4-7367-4A65-B4B3-A6CC61C88FDA.jpeg
:lol:
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

i'm no chef, but a Mandolin got my thumb yesterday, so that's something
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

We have a game at work where you have to clip a tea bag strainer to another cook
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm 2BA216D4-7367-4A65-B4B3-A6CC61C88FDA.jpeg
:lol: good ol fashion fun
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:23 pm
Chefspence wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm 2BA216D4-7367-4A65-B4B3-A6CC61C88FDA.jpeg
:lol: good ol fashion fun
We would build tons of cheese boards for private events... we’d smack the stickers from the cheese purveyors on everyone. 😂 not so funny when on of the chefs went to visit some VIPs with a Bellamy Blue label on his back. 🙄
-C-
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

When I wore white jackets I said hi to our spa chef with my hand gently touching the back of his shoulder and left a perfect hand print of cocoa powder.
I've done the same with cornstarch on the black jackets that we wear at my current restaurant.
🖐
Dan_Crubenew

Post by Dan_Crubenew »

STPepper9 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 pm When I wore white jackets I said hi to our spa chef with my hand gently touching the back of his shoulder and left a perfect hand print of cocoa powder.
I've done the same with cornstarch on the black jackets that we wear at my current restaurant.
🖐
YEAAASSSSSSSSS!!!
Bobthesalesclerk

Post by Bobthesalesclerk »

IMG_20180802_012531.jpg
This is the less burnt arm
JoeWheels

Post by JoeWheels »

Some of the cooks would substitute corrugated cardboard shaped like the pounded pork tenderloin cutlets, soak them in milk, then flour, egg wash, breadcrumbs, frialator, into the oven with sauce and cheese, served with spaghetti.
It was mostly reserved for fellow employees, or the owner if he laid on too much pressure.
Tasted the same until the inevitable un-swallowable wad.
Salt (lots) in the coffee too, reserved for demanding unreciprocal bartenders.