You know you're a chef when...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
faverodefavero

Re: You know you're a chef when...

Post by faverodefavero »

Chefspence wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm 2BA216D4-7367-4A65-B4B3-A6CC61C88FDA.jpeg
:lol:
This....
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:01 pm Some of you will understand, some won't..

:lol:
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

You're best friend at work is a milk crate . . . in the walk in.
Arrowleafchef

Post by Arrowleafchef »

Someone tells you " I'm an amateur home chef" and you instantly envision stabbing them in the neck with a carving fork.

Front staff is your "type"

You call everything...including folding your underwear " getting your mise together"

+1 you know who the f(&$ Sancho is....

Your knife kit cost more than your car

You have all clad cookware at a home you're never at....
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Arrowleafchef wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:56 pm Someone tells you " I'm an amateur home chef" and you instantly envision stabbing them in the neck with a carving fork.

Front staff is your "type"

You call everything...including folding your underwear " getting your mise together"

+1 you know who the f(&$ Sancho is....

Your knife kit cost more than your car

You have all clad cookware at a home you're never at....
Very succinct!
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

FNG
-C-
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

You get invited to friends house for dinner & expected to cook once you get there.
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

You say "Behind" when passing people in the grocery store.
Intension

Post by Intension »

Chocu1a wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:23 am You say "Behind" when passing people in the grocery store.
I do this daily, everywhere. It confuses me when they apologize as well.
"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat,
the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."
-F.P.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Chocu1a wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:23 am You shout "Behind" when passing people in the grocery store.
Fixed it for you.
Also, "Corner" and whatever you say to the effect of "yes chef", "oui chef" or in my case "haiya"...which is what I yelled when the barber called my name on Thursday. :roll:
Chocu1a

Post by Chocu1a »

Your wife tells you to go through the fridge and throw out the stuff going bad and all you can think is "but my food cost..."
rk592934

Post by rk592934 »

...writing a menu feels like a chess match with yourself rather than an act of passion. I could also compare writing a menu to a Rubik’s cube. Just when you think you have it all figured out one little tweak and you F it all up! Thoughtful menu design can be rough!!
miles717

Post by miles717 »

Yes. Menus can be a struggle.
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

I cut up a bunch of potatos only to toss them into trash, Am I a chef ?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Ma_sha1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm I cut up a bunch of potatos only to toss them into trash, Am I a chef ?
I wouldn't say that's the chef thing to do, at least not with house money. If you do it at your own house with your own potatoes that's a different story.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Cutuu wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 pm
Ma_sha1 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm I cut up a bunch of potatos only to toss them into trash, Am I a chef ?
I wouldn't say that's the chef thing to do, at least not with house money. If you do it at your own house with your own potatoes that's a different story.
I think that's required training. I still like to get a few lbs of mushrooms a few times a month to practice turning, and destroy a bunch of other veg in practice sessions. I'm no chef, but learning requires cutting stuff in scales no home cook ever gets to. Means you are aiming and not there yet
Ma_sha1

Post by Ma_sha1 »

I did it to compare knives, but at home only
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

You know you're a chef when you hate cling wrap! Haha.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

lsboogy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 pm
Cutuu wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 pm
I think that's required training. I still like to get a few lbs of mushrooms a few times a month to practice turning, and destroy a bunch of other veg in practice sessions. I'm no chef, but learning requires cutting stuff in scales no home cook ever gets to. Means you are aiming and not there yet
I would think most places don't want you wasting their product/money. I've never come across that, although there could be a particular chef or restaurant that did things like that. Knife skills like that you would usually train on your own time not with the restaurant's product.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I do it on my own time and my own money. I figure this is cheaper than culinary school and fits into my schedule. But working in a high volume kitchen a day week is really helping me in learning what to prep, and is teaching me timing as well. I stopped at Costco restaurant supply houseon my way home from work tonight and bought a box of carrots - did half diagonal cuts and half julienned after dinner - they are bagged up and ready to deliver to a shelter kitchen on my way to work tomorrow - saved the cook there a bunch of time and got some practice in - kind of eerie that this came up tonight

If know I'll never be a chef, but my goal is to run a homeless shelter kitchen when I retire. I have good contacts in the grocery business around here - Lunds CEO lived next to me growing up, now his grandkid runs the stores, and I've known him for 40 years - he gets me food that is expiring free when I ask him - lots of good stuff free to me and feeds masses. But learning how to prep and cook volume stuff along with the timing is what I'm doing now