You know you're a chef when...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Lepus

Re: You know you're a chef when...

Post by Lepus »

I got that one recently. I did some bruleed fruit, spiced candied walnuts, and a few plating sauces; I wanted to do a candied nut and ginger crumble, maybe some baked fruit, but without notice I can't exactly hammer out that sort of thing in ten minutes.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Mmm... banana brûlée... I didn't even think of nuts, once my brain gets stuck on impossible diet restrictions, nuts usually don't jump out right away.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 am We had a customer furious that none of our desserts could accommodate their gluten, dairy, and egg restrictions. I suggested a fruit cup. Does anyone know what desserts are possible without gluten, dairy or eggs?
A fruit cup :-)
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I half expected it to come back because of the nuts.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

That's not an easy request. Did they give you any notice at least?
not too much you can do that's fancy but a couple ideas;
silken Tofu/chocolate Mousse, Sorbet parfait, fruit or sorbet filled mochi, smoothie, jello, baked/roasted fruits...
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

They had already finished their meal and blew up on the server when she brought the desert menu... We need to "get with the times" because she's "not alone"... this is why I don't work on that side of the restaurant
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

SteveG wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:29 pm
jmcnelly85 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 am We had a customer furious that none of our desserts could accommodate their gluten, dairy, and egg restrictions. I suggested a fruit cup. Does anyone know what desserts are possible without gluten, dairy or eggs?
A fruit cup :-)
Ha. Exactly. There are some desserts premade for that kind of diet, but I wouldn't order them in for that once a year kind of chance.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

How about a popsicle? :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Coconut milk ice cream is my go to for rigid diets. Flavor it any way you want.
Avocado chocolate mousse. Yum!
Freezer chocolates with dried fruit and nuts are always a winner.

All really easy and quick to make.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

mauichef wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:47 pm
Coconut milk ice cream is my go to for rigid diets. Flavor it any way you want.
Avocado chocolate mousse. Yum!
Freezer chocolates with dried fruit and nuts are always a winner.

All really easy and quick to make.
Next vacation I'm heading your way!
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

I make a vegan dessert every so often. Just recently saw this awesome way to make a vegan chocolate mousse using tofu. Wicked cool.

(And vegan whip cream, macerated pineapple with orange and cherries. Flambé with some rum. Blast chill the fruit. Cocktail glass. Really fun riff on a pina colada as a dessert. One of my favorite desserts I've come up with. Even better if you add some chili. Sweet and spicy is my fave.)
-C-
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:29 am
Chefcallari wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:05 am
cooknola wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:46 am ... you think vegans that don't eat mushrooms are the universes way of testing your patience.
Or the ones that make the server bring you there "doctors note" that says there allergic to

Garlic
Onion
Leeks
Chives
Scallions
Ramps

.....if your truly allergic to the entire Garlic family.... Thats the universe's way of politely telling you to die
Or the carnivore that wants there ribeye Pittsburgh medium.
Holy fucking shit!! I thought that was only in GA!
Im new to GA.. I came here to open the restaurant... While working at the sister restaurants helping out.. Im expoing... And I see..... Pittsburgh medium....

I fucking stopped in my tracks.....
Then... Oh then I got one even better !!!

NY STRIP......MEDIUM +(PLUS)

WHAT THE FUCK IS MEDIUM PLUS?
PLUS WHAT?!!!
In my 15 god forsaken years fucking the brains out of every stove,flat top, grill and Sally.... There are 5 temps

Rare
Med rare
Medium
Medium well
Well

MEDIUM PLUS...... ?????
I told the server to politely ask the guest the EXACT numerical temperature he would like....... So I could be enlightened on this new temp... Med rare plus

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A MED RARE PLUS!

sorry .. Got a little carried away
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Chefcallari wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 am

Or the ones that make the server bring you there "doctors note" that says there allergic to

Garlic
Onion
Leeks
Chives
Scallions
Ramps

.....if your truly allergic to the entire Garlic family.... Thats the universe's way of politely telling you to die
Im new to GA.. I came here to open the restaurant... While working at the sister restaurants helping out.. Im expoing... And I see..... Pittsburgh medium....

PLUS WHAT?!!!
In my 15 god forsaken years fucking the brains out of every stove,flat top, grill and Sally.... There are 5 temps

Rare
Med rare
Medium
Medium well
Well

MEDIUM PLUS...... ?????
I told the server to politely ask the guest the EXACT numerical temperature he would like....... So I could be enlightened on this new temp... Med rare plus

We affectionaly call medium plus midwell. Or well minus.
-C-
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Maybe your server just didn't understand the cadence of his speech and what he was trying to say was that he wanted his steak medium plus a side of mashed potatoes.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Anyone else have a wall of shame for tickets?
One of my favorites from a long time ago was an order for a bowl of berries, no berries.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Chefcallari wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:28 am

Garlic
Onion
Leeks
Chives
Scallions
Ramps

PLUS WHAT?!!!

Rare
Med rare
Medium
Medium well
Well

MEDIUM PLUS...... ?????

+1, who the hell is responsible for that bs. Thats why if the whole culture, cooking community, would just say no there is no med + , we wouldn't have to deal with it. But along the way people keep making them. Now its a damn thing.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I had a convo about medium plus with a server, she tried to claim it was a power thing because ceo's and former senators are the ones ordering it more often than not... they get what they want even if it's out of the norm kinda thing. My retort was it's not making them seem powerful or special, they're coming off as indecisive bastards too insecure to make a simple decision while lacking the self awareness to know whether they want a medium or medium well steak. Back when we had lamb chops, we had a regular that when he was asked for a temp, he'd respond by saying "123 degrees". That's the power play.

My two favorite/least favorite tickets I've seen are chx Caesar salad no chx sub mr burger, and when two vegetarians split a steak tartare no meat, they just wanted the bread and assorted garnishes. They even called it a rip off despite the server trying to steer them to something else, the price makes a lot more sense with a 3oz filet portion.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:10 am Maybe your server just didn't understand the cadence of his speech and what he was trying to say was that he wanted his steak medium plus a side of mashed potatoes.
Nah bro... They do it all the time.
Fortunately this restaurant is not mine and if the chef wants to deal with it... It's on him now
Now, when I was doing my server training last week before the opening... I made I very clear... 5 temps... No fucking well done minus... No rare plus 2... No math lol
I will do ANYTHING for a guest.... But I will not entertain made up food or tempatures that will only result inconsistent results and in the end... Unhappy guests

"Last time they got my med rare +5 right , but today its over cooked"... No sir

"Well last time they said they could cook Pittsburgh well!... Why not today?".. Not happening in my restaurant
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I have fought this fight too many times. At this point I just ignore those addendums. They don't know what they want, so there is no way I can fill that need, but by god I'm going to give them the best steak I can. You tell me medium plus or medium/medium well, you get medium.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Just put glossy pictures of different steak doneness on your menu and have them point at what they want.