You know you're a chef when...

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Nmiller21k

Re: You know you're a chef when...

Post by Nmiller21k »

Saltydog wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 am You know you're a Chef when you complain about cooking customers food the way they like it.
Tell me how you like it, in a form that I can identify with... you'll get it.

If you start making up bullshit.. Med Rare +... well that doesn't exist in my kitchen so you're getting medium, it's Medium Rare + a degree of doneness...

I'm all for giving you the best dining experience you'll have, but you've gotta not be a dick when you order.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:08 pm
Saltydog wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 am You know you're a Chef when you complain about cooking customers food the way they like it.

If you start making up bullshit.. Med Rare +... well that doesn't exist in my kitchen so you're getting medium, it's Medium Rare + a degree of doneness...

I'm all for giving you the best dining experience you'll have, but you've gotta not be a dick when you order.
Does that mean it is acceptable to request an exact internal temp, 140 F?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Does that mean it is acceptable to request an exact internal temp, 140 F?
Yes.. I have a thermopen I'll make it happen. However for a steak I will cry a little inside.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:36 pm
cooknola wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:28 pm
Chefcallari wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:02 pm You know your a chef when...

You say "behind" or "de tras" ....... When you walk behind your 5 year old daughter ... Uncontrollably
2 year old. constantly. I also bought her a wooden cutting set and am convinced I can get her using a perfect pinch grip before she hits 3.
😁, you can, all my kids do it. When they want to help in the kitchen the are usually dicing veggies. We have only had one bad (no stitches, but a bleeder) cut with three kids. Critical skill that most adults don't do.
Nice! I mean I don't use a traditional (western) pinch grip anymore but it'll be a good place for her to start!
-C-
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

If you're left without any option other than using a damn thermometer, the second you pull that thing out shove a peppercorn in the gap. Do not remove it until the steak is fully rested. You're welcome.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 pm If you're left without any option other than using a damn thermometer, the second you pull that thing out shove a peppercorn in the gap. Do not remove it until the steak is fully rested. You're welcome.
Thanks for the tip.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:47 pm If you're left without any option other than using a damn thermometer, the second you pull that thing out shove a peppercorn in the gap. Do not remove it until the steak is fully rested. You're welcome.

John... are you saying... peppercorns are really... angus beads?
-C-
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

For my fellow pros that would be interested in looking at starting a new pass around that I'd prefer pros to take part in. Thread is in pass arounds. Feel free to check it out.
-C-
Saltydog

Post by Saltydog »

I'm guilty of ordering my steak mid-rare +. What can I say? However, I have a rule......"asshole" is acceptable, "dick" is not.
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

Saltydog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 am I'm guilty of ordering my steak mid-rare +. What can I say? However, I have a rule......"asshole" is acceptable, "dick" is not.

I concur. When you're a dick you're just fucking everyone else over. The guy that orders a well done 10oz pork chop after walking in 5 minutes before close.

Now when you're an asshole like me you get to shit on everyone's parade but still be funny about it.
-C-
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Saltydog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:32 am I'm guilty of ordering my steak mid-rare +. What can I say? However, I have a rule......"asshole" is acceptable, "dick" is not.
Lol Please enlighten me then.... What temp pretell... Is mid-rare +?
Saltydog

Post by Saltydog »

I think it stems from being a filet guy. (It's what I like. No complaining.) I like it cooked a proper medium rare. I find most times it comes out under done. Because of the thickness and time it takes to cook, most cooks push it out early, not giving it a proper slow down or rest to bring the center of the steak up to proper temp.
I'll order a ribeye medium rare.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Saltydog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm I think it stems from being a filet guy. (It's what I like. No complaining.) I like it cooked a proper medium rare. I find most times it comes out under done. Because of the thickness and time it takes to cook, most cooks push it out early, not giving it a proper slow down or rest to bring the center of the steak up to proper temp.
Filet has no marbling and is a neutral flavor... I never did understand the "hype" around filet.

Give me a nice hanger steak any day!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Agreed, even trip tip can be better. Anyone ever had "churasco"? One of the best steaks ever in La Placinta, Puerto Rico. probably not gonna happen soon. I think it's hanger or flank. Tenderloin is over priced, as is New York. Much rather a ribeye or sirloin, depending on the muscle.
Saltydog

Post by Saltydog »

I rest my case.

P.S. Now I'm feeling like an inferior dotard.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Saltydog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:12 pm I rest my case.

P.S. Now I'm feeling like an inferior dotard.
Don't feel bad. I love tenderloin, they're just so spensive.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

This
Attachments
A2D07115-C4F5-451C-8844-6C5FD194141C.jpeg
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

STPepper9 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 amThis
Murderous thoughts :evil:
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Saltydog wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:37 pm I think it stems from being a filet guy. (It's what I like. No complaining.) I like it cooked a proper medium rare. I find most times it comes out under done. Because of the thickness and time it takes to cook, most cooks push it out early, not giving it a proper slow down or rest to bring the center of the steak up to proper temp.
While I'm not a filet guy lol... I completely agree. I run into alot of cooks today that were TRAINED to under a steak...
Why you ask?. The logic im told is " you can always bring it up if they don't like it"
........ Excuse me? Here's a novel idea......
COOK IT PERFECTLY FIRST GOD DAMN TIME! Lol
And rest the steak people...
Still waiting for the temp on the mythical "med rare plus" lol

#nomasmidrareplus
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

STPepper9 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 amThis
Instant ..... Fury